“Service is excellent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of House of Blues San Diego

House of Blues San Diego
1055 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
619.299.BLUE
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #167 of 495 things to do in San Diego
Sacramento, California
15 attraction reviews
“Service is excellent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Stopped into to grab some dinner and were treated to excellent, attentive service. The restaurant had just opened so they weren't very busy which was part of it, I'm sure. But either way, it was great. I ordered the cobb salad and enjoyed it very much. It was a large portion and I couldn't eat the whole salad. My husband had the jambalaya but he didn't like it so much. I'm giving it less stars because of the location. It's in a sketchy area and we dropped by earlier in the morning to check the hours and it smelled like urine out front. There are bums and weirdos all over the area and it really made me uncomfortable being outside there. Actually all over gaslamp is like this, but even more so over here. I didn't want to go inside but decided to give it a try anyway because I had a coupon. The inside of the restaurant is clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated. The drinks were also good. Overall, I don't think I'd go back but it wasn't terribly awful. My salad was tasty and service was good.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“NICE place but stay away from the cocktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Cool atmosphere and the live music.was good. The mojito was truly and intensely BAD. There was not even a semblance of mojitoness. Mentioning this.to the waitress showed super service as they offered us another cocktail which was a lot better (but still not a lot better than OK). Anyway, big points for the bluesy atmosphere and art

El Cajon, California
8 attraction reviews
“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I went to the House of Blues to see a show and wanted to try out the restaurant, especially since Chef Aaron Sanchez from Chopped made the menu. It was a small menu and had an interesting Mexican flare to it. We happened to be there for Happy Hour which is daily from 4-7 (amazing) and ordered $3 draft beer and $3 house wine. Our appetizer was a flat bread with pesto, tomatoes and cheese. It was pretty tasty and only $5. For our dinner my husband ordered the Braised Short Ribs for $22 and I had a steak chopped salad for $15. We thought the food was well prepared and delicious. Our waitress was a doll and very attentive. The best part is, since we spent more than $20 on food we got a "Front of the Line Pass" and were able to relax, enjoy our meal and not have to stand in line for over an hour to get into the show. All in all it made our night very enjoyable and I would love to go back and try other dishes.

Visited April 2012
Fremont, CA
104 attraction reviews
“Interesting venue, bring your earplugs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We were here for a private event, so can't speak for the venue's usual offerings. There are many gathering areas in this large club. The lower level has food, a bar, and dance floor. There seemed to be smaller rooms as well as an upstairs viewing area. If you re not of the college partying generation, you will want to eat earlier and bring earplugs, as the sound system works well there are small video monitors scattered about also.
Like most clubs, the decor was dark, and slightly shabby. Security was very strict, with alcohol confined to the bar area.

San Diego, California
16 attraction reviews
“Best downtown happy hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

House of Blues always has some good concerts going on, and it's a great venue to watch some shows. But they also serve great food. They have a happy hour from 4-7 every day - 1/2 price appetizers and $3 wells and beers. For downtown these prices are insane. Food is very good and they have a good beer selection. If you're going to a concert, come early, take advantage of the happy hour, then head down and enjoy the show at one of the city's great concert venues.

Visited May 2011