Our group of 6, including 2 small children, stayed here in two suites (each was a one bedroom/living room/full kitchen/one bathroom suite) June 23-27. We found this hotel to be modern and very clean. The staff was very nice, especially the manager. There was a great complimentary breakfast every morning, free newspaper, free parking, free coffee/tea and some fruit available all day long. The hotel is located very conveniently close to I-5, but it is up the hill from the freeway and there is no noise.
There was a fire on a construction site beside the hotel a couple of weeks before our stay. It occurred on appoximately June 12, 2007. The hotel next door that was under construction, and soon to be open, completely burned down. This caused some external damage to one of the wings of the Homewood Suites hotel, and some water damage in the suites of that wing. As a result, the hotel closed that wing for renovations. Otherwise, the hotel is fully operational, including the center courtyard, pool, and hot pool. Other than seeing the external damage to the one wing of the hotel as we drove up, nothing bothered us.
The hotel was easy to find when travelling from the SAN airport. I suggest following the directions as outlined on the Homewood Suites website: Heading I-5 North - Take local bypass for state highway 56. This is 100 yards past the Sorrento Valley Road exit. Exit Carmel Mountain Road and turn right. Drive one third mile to Vista Sorrento Parkway. Turn right on Vista Sorrento Parkway, drive one half mile to the Pacific Plaza traffic light. Make a U-turn at the traffic light and the hotel will be on your right.
These directions are much more accurate than the ones from mapquest.
The hotel was a great base for tourists exploring San Diego. An approximately 20 minute drive to San Diego ZOO and Balboa Park, 15 minute drive to Seaworld, 25 minute drive to Coronado, 10 minutes to Del Mar Beach or La Jolla area.
Although there are no restaurants next to the hotel, there are restaurants and a Vonns grocery store within a 5 minute drive. Front desk has a very good information sheet with directions.
Overall we were very happy with this hotel. It helped us have a great vacation in San Diego.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Torrey Hills, near Torrey Pines Beach, the Homewood Suites by Hilton® San Diego-Del Mar was specially designed to provide you with a secluded, stress-free stay. Our contemporary studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites provide a true residential feel with all the comforts and luxuries of home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, AAA Travel Services, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Hilton Hotels, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites San Diego-Del Mar Hotel San Diego
- Homewood San Diego
- San Diego Homewood Suites