“friendly staff, good food” 5 of 5 stars

2X Points Package
Ranked #6 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
“friendly staff, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

the staff makes you feel warm and friendly. Breakfast and reception food was excellent and not what you think. extremely happy with stay and room. I had a early arrival and as a Diamond member, they got me in so I could do work and get ready for my meetings. thank you

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Parris P, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear 235Matty,

Thank you greatly for the five star review, it's always wonderful to get feedback from our HHonors Diamond members. I'm ecstatic that our staff was able to give you that warm and friendly feeling that is often lacking when travelling. I'm very happy to see that we were able to provide you with an early check-in and assist you in getting some work done. It was a pleasure having you stay with us, should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Tucson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I selected this hotel very last minute on business travel, like 5 hours before I was to check in. I chose it because I travel so San Diego every few weeks and i was looking to try a different hotel, I have pretty much stayed in every San Diego hotel now over the last year.

I am a HH diamond member and really don't care about my status, but when I checked in, I did not receive my normal diamond bonus of water(s)/salty snack/sweet snack. Like I said, I really don't care...I am not "that guy" that needs these things, but I the only time I really needed it was checking in here, I was tired, from travelling between coasts, hungry, and just wanted to crash. I had just just checked out of a Marriott property (same day) up north and looked forward to the Hilton hospitality. But when I checked into my room, I noticed there was no "regular" coffee packages, just one decaf, so it required me to call the front desk to get some regular coffee packages brought up. I really like the Hilton brand much better Marriott, but this one just seemed to miss the mark.

The room was dark and old. It had a shower door (I thought was strange), and old furniture. I can compare apples to apples because I stayed on business at the Homewood Suites San Diego Liberty Station and this hotel isn't even close. I tried the breakfast this morning and it was pretty poor (compared to the other Hilton properties in SD).

This hotel is seems to be highly over rated. I am a big fan of trip advisor and use it for every city I travel, but I really think the reviewers missed the mark here. There are no restaurants nearby, no stores, just the freeway. So I guess if you need quick freeway access, then maybe this is your hotel. Sorry, Hilton, you have been my landlord for the past 8 months, but I will not be returning here. If you have a family, go a little further down the highway and stay at the Homewood Suites Liberty Station. I have a family, and they had a great time the three times we stayed there when I was on business. There are many better options, I do not agree with the reviews of this hotel...sorry Hilton.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear DesertFlyer,

Allow me to first thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review and feedback, we truly do appreciate hearing from our HHonors Diamond members. I'm terribly sorry to see that you did not receive the type of service we've come to be known for. I truly apologize for not properly recognizing your Diamond status at check-in, and in an effort to ensure that this does not happen again, we will now be providing the HHonors amenities at check-in rather than placing them in the room prior to arrival. It is with your help and feedback that we have been able to make this improvement, so we sincerely thank you. If our location does not deter you too much in the future, we would love to have you stay with us again so that we can earn your loyalty as well as a five-star review. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Rialto, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

the hotel is located near great beaches and restaurants. and it is situated in a quiet and nice area. freeway access is also near. furnishings can be updated but decent. suites are a good size. plenty of parking. staff are helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Parris P, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Catherine C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm very glad to see that you enjoyed our location and its proximity to everything for your staycation. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

West Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My family and I have stayed here before and had a very nice experience. I recently booked a two night stay through Expedia and had to make a last minute cancelation because of a family medical emergency. Expedia didn't charge for a cancelation but informed me that the hotel would charge a one night fee. I decided to call the hotel directly. I spoke with a gentleman named Salvador and informed him of my situation. He was Very Kind and Very helpful and sympathetic. I was able to cancel the reservation without being charged. We will definitely reschedule our trip for another time and stay at this hotel every time we go to San Diego.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Vanessa F,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to review your recent interaction. While you did not stay with our property, I'm glad to see that we were able to accommodate you during your time of need. We look forward to hosting you in the future. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family of four stayed at this hotel during our San Diego vacation. We wanted a place that was central to several attractions - the San Diego Zoo and Safari Zoo, Legoland and beaches. This Homewood Suites fit the bill quite well.

It's located in a business park and residential area about 20 minutes north of the city. In fact, it's about 20 minutes away from both San Diego zoos, Legoland and downtown and about 15 minutes away from Sea World. We didn't mind the drive since we didn't experience much traffic in our back and forth drives. The area around the hotel is quiet, safe and new with high-end apartment complexes and large homes. About 1.5 miles away is a small shopping area with a Vons grocery store, Wells Fargo, Starbucks, medical offices, a couple of nice eateries including a Japanese restaurant. The hotel is easily accessible from the interstate but far enough away that you can't hear the road noise. During my morning run, I discovered a large playground less than a mile away where we walked with our kids after dinner later that evening.

We had the usual suite with a king bed and a queen-size sofabed in the living area. The room was comfortable, the bedroom was large and we had no issues at all during our stay. I had to ask for dish soap, a sponge and dishwasher detergent at the front desk but that was not a problem. There's a small workout room with a couple of treadmills that looked new since I never saw anyone working out :-) The complimentary breakfast every morning was good and frequently replenished. We took advantage of the complimentary dinner items twice and the entrees were OK. I would rather have gone to a restaurant but we were so tired at the end of the day that it was just convenient to eat at the hotel. The Wi-Fi was free and relatively fast. I was able to connect up to four smartphones/tablets/laptops.

I would like to give this hotel at least 3.5 stars but the pool and spa are the only things that I don't give the hotel good marks for. The pool is small compared to ones at other Homewood Suites that I've stayed in, and the spa was a funny greenish color. When the spa jets were running, they created so much foam that I wondered if there was any soap in the water.

Other than the pool/spa, though, everything about the hotel is nice and what you'd expect from a Hilton brand. The staff were friendly and helpful, our room was clean. I recommend this place if you're staying for business or are on a family vacation. BTW, I used Hilton Honors points for the entire stay. I compared several Hilton hotels in the area and this one was the best value by far for the points.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Mailmanorama,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to provide us with a review and some feedback. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay ranging from the complimentary breakfast and dinner, the complimentary wireless, and the comfort of the suite. I do apologize that our pool and spa detracted from your overall stay, I have passed the information regarding the spa to my Chief Engineer so that we can resolve the color issue. I'm also glad to see that we provided the best value when using your hard earned Hilton Honors points. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Tijuana, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Felt discriminated by Hotel Staff, they just do not care about their guest satisfaction, Or they just do more for Americans. I told them I would never come back to their Hotel and they don't even blink, May be that does not happen in other Hotels, this is the firs and last time I stay at this brand

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Dear George M,

Please allow me to sincerely apologize for any interaction with our staff that made you feel discriminated against. I know that our General Manager has reached out to you in the hopes of resolving any issues that you may have encountered. I truly hope that we are able to better understand what it is that happened so that we can provide the desired experience for our guests. Our number one concern is always our guests and ensuring they received exceptional treatment. I ensure you that this is not the norm, and hope that this experience does not spoil the entire brand of Homewood Suites or Hilton for you. Should you have any further comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact me personally in addition to our General Manager Michael Murray.

Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We've stayed here several times, I like the suite layout and the kitchen so we don't have to go out to eat. There is a good restaurant next door in the Garden Inn if you want it. It's quiet due to the location, in a residential/office area. Also like the large parking lot and the free parking. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Deborah O,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to review your stay and for your continued stays with our property. I'm very pleased to see that you enjoyed the Bistro at the Garden Inn as well as our quiet location and free parking. We look forward to serving you in the future, and should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Front Office Manager

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar? Share your experiences!