“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Rialto, United States
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

the hotel is located near great beaches and restaurants. and it is situated in a quiet and nice area. freeway access is also near. furnishings can be updated but decent. suites are a good size. plenty of parking. staff are helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Parris P, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Catherine C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm very glad to see that you enjoyed our location and its proximity to everything for your staycation. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
West Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My family and I have stayed here before and had a very nice experience. I recently booked a two night stay through Expedia and had to make a last minute cancelation because of a family medical emergency. Expedia didn't charge for a cancelation but informed me that the hotel would charge a one night fee. I decided to call the hotel directly. I spoke with a gentleman named Salvador and informed him of my situation. He was Very Kind and Very helpful and sympathetic. I was able to cancel the reservation without being charged. We will definitely reschedule our trip for another time and stay at this hotel every time we go to San Diego.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Vanessa F,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to review your recent interaction. While you did not stay with our property, I'm glad to see that we were able to accommodate you during your time of need. We look forward to hosting you in the future. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family of four stayed at this hotel during our San Diego vacation. We wanted a place that was central to several attractions - the San Diego Zoo and Safari Zoo, Legoland and beaches. This Homewood Suites fit the bill quite well.

It's located in a business park and residential area about 20 minutes north of the city. In fact, it's about 20 minutes away from both San Diego zoos, Legoland and downtown and about 15 minutes away from Sea World. We didn't mind the drive since we didn't experience much traffic in our back and forth drives. The area around the hotel is quiet, safe and new with high-end apartment complexes and large homes. About 1.5 miles away is a small shopping area with a Vons grocery store, Wells Fargo, Starbucks, medical offices, a couple of nice eateries including a Japanese restaurant. The hotel is easily accessible from the interstate but far enough away that you can't hear the road noise. During my morning run, I discovered a large playground less than a mile away where we walked with our kids after dinner later that evening.

We had the usual suite with a king bed and a queen-size sofabed in the living area. The room was comfortable, the bedroom was large and we had no issues at all during our stay. I had to ask for dish soap, a sponge and dishwasher detergent at the front desk but that was not a problem. There's a small workout room with a couple of treadmills that looked new since I never saw anyone working out :-) The complimentary breakfast every morning was good and frequently replenished. We took advantage of the complimentary dinner items twice and the entrees were OK. I would rather have gone to a restaurant but we were so tired at the end of the day that it was just convenient to eat at the hotel. The Wi-Fi was free and relatively fast. I was able to connect up to four smartphones/tablets/laptops.

I would like to give this hotel at least 3.5 stars but the pool and spa are the only things that I don't give the hotel good marks for. The pool is small compared to ones at other Homewood Suites that I've stayed in, and the spa was a funny greenish color. When the spa jets were running, they created so much foam that I wondered if there was any soap in the water.

Other than the pool/spa, though, everything about the hotel is nice and what you'd expect from a Hilton brand. The staff were friendly and helpful, our room was clean. I recommend this place if you're staying for business or are on a family vacation. BTW, I used Hilton Honors points for the entire stay. I compared several Hilton hotels in the area and this one was the best value by far for the points.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Mailmanorama,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to provide us with a review and some feedback. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay ranging from the complimentary breakfast and dinner, the complimentary wireless, and the comfort of the suite. I do apologize that our pool and spa detracted from your overall stay, I have passed the information regarding the spa to my Chief Engineer so that we can resolve the color issue. I'm also glad to see that we provided the best value when using your hard earned Hilton Honors points. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Tijuana, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Felt discriminated by Hotel Staff, they just do not care about their guest satisfaction, Or they just do more for Americans. I told them I would never come back to their Hotel and they don't even blink, May be that does not happen in other Hotels, this is the firs and last time I stay at this brand

Dear George M,

Please allow me to sincerely apologize for any interaction with our staff that made you feel discriminated against. I know that our General Manager has reached out to you in the hopes of resolving any issues that you may have encountered. I truly hope that we are able to better understand what it is that happened so that we can provide the desired experience for our guests. Our number one concern is always our guests and ensuring they received exceptional treatment. I ensure you that this is not the norm, and hope that this experience does not spoil the entire brand of Homewood Suites or Hilton for you. Should you have any further comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact me personally in addition to our General Manager Michael Murray.

Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We've stayed here several times, I like the suite layout and the kitchen so we don't have to go out to eat. There is a good restaurant next door in the Garden Inn if you want it. It's quiet due to the location, in a residential/office area. Also like the large parking lot and the free parking. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Deborah O,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to review your stay and for your continued stays with our property. I'm very pleased to see that you enjoyed the Bistro at the Garden Inn as well as our quiet location and free parking. We look forward to serving you in the future, and should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

New Haven, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I just returned from a weekend with my family at this property. My expectations were very high because of the rave reviews on TripAdvisor, and I was underwhelmed.

The room was clean and comfortable, the complimentary breakfast was very good and the staff was extremely friendly. We were especially pleased that the hotel had beach-gear rentals available. However, despite the friendliness of every employee I encountered I found actual customer service to be a little lacking in several instances. I will list specifics so you can judge for yourself whether I'm picking nits: (1) We reserved for four people but there were only linens for two. It was a minor inconvenience and (small but additional tipping expense) to have to call for two more. Not a huge deal, but it was the first of several small items that added up. (2) We requested the sofabed be opened and made up while we were at dinner. The response was a friendly assurance, but more than two hours later it had not been done, and no one ever arrived to do it. Again, not a huge deal to make the bed myself but when I am spending $300+ per night on vacation I really prefer not to! (3) We had a small maintenance request that was never fulfilled. Did it ruin our vacation? No. Was it a little bit annoying? Yes. (4) It took more than 30 minutes for towels to be delivered to the pool area after three separate requests (from ourselves and other guests). I didn't mind soaking in the hot tub a little longer than planned.

A fifth item that posed a minor inconvenience but is unrelated to service is the long wait for the elevators. By Day 2 we were taking the stairs. Again, not a huge deal to us to get a little extra exercise but not everyone can handle three flights, or even one, easily.

We chose this property specifically to have a room with a kitchen near Torrey Pines State Reserve. There are no amenities within walking distance -- one has to drive to restaurants, shops, etc.

The Homewood is a nice property with friendly staff, and we had an enjoyable stay, but I did not have the FABULOUS experience that other reviewers have reported. We are regular visitors to the San Diego area and will try a different property next time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard will hear pool noise.
Dear PurpleClam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a review and detailed feedback of your stay. I truly am sorry to see that you were underwhelmed by your stay with us. While friendliness of staff members is always appreciated, I'm extremely sorry to see that the actual customer service was lacking and assure you that is not usual for our hotel. I sincerely hope that you will give us another try the next time you're in the area so that we may show you that were deserving of a five star review. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Blackburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Booked through Expedia due to excellent price and good reviews.

Location - 20/30mins north of San Diego by car or coaster. No bus connection to speak of.

Hotel - Brilliant. Clean, well proportioned, big rooms. Excellent small pool and good hot tub in lovely outdoor setting.

Service - Superb. Couldn't do enough for you, even down to pouring your drinks at meal times.

Tip - If you stay Mon - Thurs you will receive an excellent evening meal in addition to breakfast as part of the price. We were not aware of this beforehand but made the most of it!

Would definitely book here again!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MatthewO,

Thank you so much for your gracious review, as always the five star mention is appreciated. I'm extremely happy to see you found the hotel to be clean, spacious, and accommodating. We truly take pride in our staff, so to see your review is a great indicator that we're doing well, we sincerely appreciate all of your kind words. We look forward to serving you in the future, should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Front Office Manager

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar? Share your experiences!