“The Nordstrom Way” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
California
“The Nordstrom Way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed at this property for 4 weeks in a row (home on weekends). It was for a business trip. Here are my thoughts in a nutshell:

Pros:
1. Staff went out of their way to make my stay great.....the extra mile....much more than typical hotels....the Nordstrom philosophy.
2. If I had leftover refrigerated items when I checked out on Friday (to return the following Sunday), they kept those items for me in their large refrigerator and then had them in my room refrigerator upon check-in.
3. Stayed in a king room for 3 of the weeks but one week in queen room. That smaller room did not have a lamp by the sofa for reading, etc. so Maintenance brought a floor lamp up to my room for my use!
4. The complimentary dinners were pretty good. I could grab a plate of food and my glass of wine, take it up to the room, go work out, shower, and just heat it up in the microwave when I was ready to eat. Perfect.
5. Fitness center very clean. Had TVs mounted on treadmills and they actually worked! Equipment in great shape. I brought my own headset but once I saw that they had some wrapped in plastic for guests.
6. Staff very helpful with area info, such as dining options.
7. I could have stayed at the Hilton Torrey Pines but for long stays, this property felt like home and I could eat more of my normal diet with bringing food in.
8. They had regular mattress covers on the beds, compared to other Hilton properties that have the updated bed sets (I hate those) that retain your body heat and you sweat all night long if you don't have the air turned down to 65.

Cons:
1. It is an older property.
2. The bed mattresses were too soft (need replacing) but not to the point where I suffered.
3. One room I stayed in had a warped entry door and it was difficult to lock.
4. Esthetically, furniture is old. Bedside tables crammed into existing space to where the walls had been scraped.

Overall, great place to stay. No luxury here.....just a pleasant, homey, comfortable atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Litchfield Park, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Room was nice with full kitchen and refrigerator. Breakfast was also very good! We were very pleased with are stay there. Bed was alittle soft for my liking but was ok. Worked out in fitness room which had the machine I usually use at my home gym. overall I was pleased wih my stay at Homewood Suites DelMar

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Oak Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

It feels like your at a RESORT! Service by Enrique at check in was awesome, he catered to my kids and wife.. Some hotels are only interested in your I.D, and Credit Card Please. The rooms were Clean and nice. The pool was 80 degrees heated and the BREAKFAST, the BREAKFAST was awesome! Denny's has nothing on this Hotel. The waffles, eggs, bacon and parfait were made fresh, there was a lot more, but I just had a Bacon attack there. The Dinner was also awesome! BBQ was served, the burgers were HUGE and I made a Doubble Doubble. I know I sound a little over Weight, but that is not the case, I am 6' 2'' 217lbs with ABS so it was fun to over eat because it is included in the price of the room, so i took full advantage of the food, Beer and Wines. I left the hotel and the next day I missed it. Great Hotel.. I suggest they put a Ping Pong table outside.

Room Tip: Lots of entrance and exits in the Hotel. Park next to your room for convenience.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We chose Homewood Suites, Del Mar during the summer for a quick overnight while attending a play in the San Diego area. Having stayed in the Del Mar on several occasions, we'd found it close enough to the attractions of San Diego, more reasonable in price and less congested. For those new to the area, please be aware I'm not talking a hop-skip-and-a-jump from San Diego. This is Southern California, where distances are measured in driving minutes rather than miles, so I'd say it's about a twenty minute drive on the freeway assuming traffic is moving nicely. There is free parking around the hotel and it's easy to find using the instructions on their web site.

Our room was very comfortable, albeit a bit cramped in a couple of places (I'll explain that in a minute) and Management was extremely welcoming and eager to please. We'd arrived very late at night due to traffic, (see? Southern California...) and our 1 bedroom King Suite was waiting for us just off the lobby. Although I suspect there might have been some noise issues had we slept with the window open (we were right off the parking lot), with the fan running and the windows closed all was fine and we had a terrific night's sleep. Unlike some hotels, Hilton seems to actually put some choice into their choice of pillows-- and with two soft and two firm ones to choose from on the bed, we were able to snuggle in for a comfortable night with a pillow which worked for our particular sleeping styles.

Though we didn't use the kitchen, I made a point of checking it out. It was wonderfully stocked with everything (minus wine opener) a traveler could reasonably want; cook top, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, garbage disposal, toaster, coffee maker and even complimentary popcorn. Naturally, they included plates, pots and pans, glasses, towels and such.

The living room was minute but well thought out with a pull out sleeper sofa, desk and chair, armchair, coffee table and flat screen TV. I wasn't quite sure where the arm chair, desk chair and coffee table would go if a person used said sleeper sofa-- hopefully there was more room than it looked.

Our bedroom and bath area were comfortably equipped-- the only down side being that if a person were using a sink and another person wished to use the toilet or bath (in a separate room behind), the clearance between door and sink was so small that you had to do a bit of jockeying for position. This is a fairly minor issue in an otherwise clean, comfortable and well appointed little apartment-- and two people using the room for several days could certainly make do quite nicely. You could even make a game of it and add in a few dance moves.

I can't comment upon breakfast or hotel amenities since we came late and left twelve hours later, but it was a good stay, and we wouldn't hesitate to book at this establishment again when in the area. As has been noted elsewhere, Management gives every impression of really caring about the comfort of their guests which is a pleasure in today's world is a pleasure.

Room Tip: If you prefer sleeping with the windows open, you may wish to ask for a room which doesn't overl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

The room had windows, thankfully, which helped air the bleach smell, after several hours of airing out, it became livable, just when the smoke wafted in- some rooms are smoking :0 breakfast was good and so was the TV! Bathroom old and dated $180 did t seem like a bargain!

• Stayed October 2013
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you Rogerskids for taking time to write a review of our property. While we do have smoking rooms we do keep them in a separate wing from non-smoking rooms to prevent anyone from being bothered. Our sincerest apologies that you were affected by smoking neighbors. Also while we do strive to maintain our high cleanliness levels which we are known for we never want a heavy cleaner smell in our rooms. If you have time please contact me at rburke@homewoodsuitesdelmar.com and we can discuss your experience further. Thank you again for the review and we hope to have you again.
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Came here on business based on all the great reviews. The staff (front desk and at breakfast) were friendly, efficient, and very helpful. The room was great and very clean. I like having a full kitchen and a separate area to eat from the desk/work area. Breakfast was really nice and had lots of options. It is about 15 miles from downtown but I found that to not be problem and the traffic was never a problem in the evening on I-5. I love being close to La Jolla and Torrey Pines, but the hotel itself is not really close to any of the restaurants or shops. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Mapleton, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Not sure where to begin.

The room was great. Housekeeping paid attention to the little details; even writing fun messages with our kids' foam bath alphabet toys. Thank you Ruth!!

Breakfast was great. Kids looked forward to the rubber ducky little toys the friendly staff gave every morning. Pool and hot tub were clean and working. The weeknight "welcome" receptions were actually full dinners with complimentary adult beverages--this was a huge value booster for us with four kids.

Good location. Very quiet area not too far from the major locations. We really had no problems. Great experience. As we left early on checkout day (before breakfast), the manager went out of his way to put together a breakfast for us to eat on the road. Seriously!?! If we come back to San Diego, we are staying here for sure.

Room Tip: If your kids are going to spend a lot of time in the pool and hot tub, a room opening onto the pool...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar? Share your experiences!