“A gem of a restaurant in University Heights” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegetarian, Eclectic, Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Diego, CA
“A gem of a restaurant in University Heights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Soltan Banoo is a very cute Persian ("eclectic" as they call it) restaurant. The decor is charming with old furniture, Persian artifacts, tiling, lighting, and the front room has a particularly nice atmosphere. I had the Shirin Polo with a green salad. The salad was actually better than the Shirin Polo but the Shirin Polo was still good. My only regret is that my all time favorite Persian dishes are Fesanjoon and Adas Polo and they don't serve those every day. They have daily specials and one of them is served on a Monday and the other on a Tuesday. The service is good.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Del Mar CA
“Homey Middle Eastern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a hidden gem of a restaurant. It's small and in a hip neighborhood and is run by a mother and daughter. The food is fresh and delicious. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. It's our go-to Middle Eastern restaurant - even tho' it's a bit of a drive for us! and We've been back many times.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, CA
“Good local place, a bit pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very nice local place. Very good service. Good food. Had the chicken kabob which was tasty. But felt that $14 was pricey for grilled chicken breast and rice. I would go back but would try to order from the appetizer menu instead. Parking can be difficult in the neighborhood

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
“Yes, the Pomegrante Soup”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

It has been over 6 years since I have been in CA. This soup was a memorable experience; the best soup I had ever tasted. I came to this restaurant with my friend Cathy just before I moved away from San Diego Co. Later on she sent me a book about some Persian sisters who opened up a Persian restaurant in Ireland, and I am sure she sent it to me in memory of this wonderful meal. The book is Pomegrante Soup by Marsha Mehran. We could use such a great restaurant as this in Oklahoma.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Very pleasant experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I'm part of a small travel group that enjoys getting together and trying new restaurants and cuisines that are relatively familiar, given our travels to the Middle East. Soltan Banoo was chosen for this trip and we came away very impressed.

Our food was quickly prepared and well timed to meet our schedule. I personally tried the Salmon Kabob and it was served well within the suggested time frame from the menu. The salmon was probably one of the best prepared filets I've tasted. We prefaced our meal with appetizers that were full of flavor, and also tried two desserts at the end (apple dessert and Persian ice cream) that were excellent. The rice could have had a bit more variety in taste, but was good overall.

We can't wait to visit again, and highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited April 2012