“Best Burgers in San Diego” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hodad's

Hodad's
5010 Newport Ave, San Diego, San Diego, CA 92107 (Ocean Beach)
(619) 224-4623
Cuisines: Hamburgers
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Neighborhood: Ocean Beach
“Best Burgers in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I went this afternoon and after a 10 minute line we started to enjoy a great atmosphere with a beer and then with a double cheese burger with onion rings and fries! The burgers are tasty and huge! I thin this is the best burger I've tried in my life! This place is a MUST when you visit SD and if are near OB!

Visited May 2013

88% Recommend
San Diego, California
“Nice atmosphere, tasty food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We visited this restaurant in OB because they had such a reputation. On a very nice Saturday noon, the restaurant was packed. There was a line in front - 15 min wait. The ambiance of the restaurant is really nice, vibrant. Portions are generous. Burgers were tasty, liked the fries especially. Prices are reasonable. Should be on everyone's list. If you have not paid them a visit yet, do so... Burger tour of SD is not complete without them!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Murrieta, California
“sold out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

it's been about 10 years since I last visited Hodad's in OB. The lines are usually beyond the time investment that I'm willing to whittle away my time to. This evening I was in the area specifically to scope out the line, which to my amazment was small. Yea, I finally get to treat my young 10 year old son to a world famous burger. And then it happened, in OB of all places. It appears as though this establishment has sold itself out to the corporate P&L watchdogs.
The once thick, imperfect and hand packed burgers are a thing of the past having now been replaced by what looked to be factory patties that could be bought at the local club store. The fresh taste that seperated Hodad's from the ordinary is gone. Wow, my heart is broken. I now rate this place with the rest, nothing special, the mighty have fallen. The beach atmosphere is still strong, the burgers are weak.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Lubbock, Texas
“Tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place is always crowded but the service is fast. These burgers are made for the person who likes "fixin's". Lots of onion, pickles and tomatoes. Great place to people watch and only 2 blocks from the beach.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Davis, California
“Best Burger I've ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've heard about Hodad's from a fellow traveller when I arrived at Ocean Beach Hostel. The burgers seemed to be great but I had no idea what I was in for.

This place may serve the best burgers in the world. Its crowded every night and has a great vibe to it. When it comes down to the food its the best burger I've had during my time in California. Juicy, messy pure burger heaven. Service was great and I'd come back every time I'm in the San Diego area.

• Visited January 2013