“Overpriced run of the mill Mexican food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El Fandango Restaurant - CLOSED

El Fandango Restaurant
2734 Calhoun St, San Diego, CA 92110-2706 (Old Town)
619-298-0120
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
New York City, New York
“Overpriced run of the mill Mexican food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just your standard Mexican food. Highlight was the table side Guac. Way overpriced for what they serve you.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“I liked it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

El Fandango is within a stone's throw of the Cosmopolitan where I was staying. I will admit to being lured into El Fandango the first time with the 15% off coupon, but the second time I told them to keep the coupon because I would eat there anyhow. Both meals I ate there were lunch, and both experiences were very good. The staff were attentive and nice. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. I had the combination plate that had a cheese enchilada, chili relleno, and a soft beef taco. I think it was less than $11, which is reasonable where I come from. The salsa was excellent. It's not the kind of place that is so unusual and outstanding you'd write home about it. El Fandango serves good food in a comfortable atmosphere for a reasonable price, and that deserves at least 4 stars in my book.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Avoid the 15% coupon lure!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We visited Old Town and couldn't decide which Mexican restaurant to eat at. We took El Fandango's 15% off coupon but still took a look at the other restaurants in the area. They looked very busy and El Fandango had immediate seating. We unfortunately opted for El Fandango. Our first clue should have been the lack of customers. The second clue should have been the menus that smelled like mildew. We tried to make the most of it. The guacamole did taste very good. The grumpy waiter seemed a bit comical with his frilly long-sleeve white dress shirt and his furrowed brow. But the wait for food was so long even though there were only two people in the restaurant when we got there. We only ordered a cheese quesadilla and a chicken salad. How hard could that be? That was our first and last visit to El Fandango.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“"Nothing to write home about"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I love going to old town to walk around. My husband and I usually eat at Fiesta de Reyes or Casa Guadalajara while we are there, but there is always a wait for these two restaurants. Since we didn't want to wait this last time we were there, we decided to try El Fandango. The salsa and guacamole were the best parts of the meal (we got an order of guacamole and they make it at your table). There was also a Harp player that was adding to the great atmosphere, but the actual meal was just ok. I had a combination with a taco, chile rellano, and cheese enchilada. The corn tortillas were kind of chewy (on both the taco and enchilada, you could tell they didn't heat them properly and they weren't fresh), the batter on the chile rellano fell right off the chile, and the sauce on the enchilada was ok. The meat in the taco was good. I've defnintely had better Mexican food in old town. I would say here eat here if you do not want to wait, but if there's no wait at Fiesta de Reyes, go there!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arroyo Grande, California
“Expensive, and other Mexican restaurants within walking distance are better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The food was OK, but Casa De Reyes (about 100 yards away in Old town) is better and cheaper (see my other review). For some reason, this one is more expensive. The decor and music were all good, but the food was not. Try other Mexican restaurant (there are several) that are very close by.

• Visited October 2012