“A good place to stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #121 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Upstate NY
“A good place to stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

The room was clean. The staff was very accomodating. The neighborhood somewhat strange--safe going one way and very suspect the other. We were there for a week and just so I could introduce my husband to the sights. We found it very hard to get around the city from the hotel but all in all, I would recommend it. The pool and pool area were dismal. The restaurant was just a place to eat.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Crittenden, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

My family (two adults and a toddler) stayed at this hotel for four nights in May 2010. Pro's: 1) Very friendly front desk staff; 2) spacious room that appeared to have been recently remodeled; 3) location very convenient to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. Cons: 1) Thinnest walls I have ever experienced! We heard the man next door reading a bedtime story to his kids in a perfectly normal voice. 2) The continental breakfast was disappointing--a waffle maker, some cereal, a few pastries, and coffee/juice. I waited in line about 20 minutes for my turn at the waffle maker. 3) Although the neighborhood seemed overall clean and safe, be aware that there are some "adult" establishments just down the street.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We had an excellent stay in this motel. The staff were friendly and efficient, check in was easy and lots of literature on things to do. We didn't use the airport or Seaworld free shuttle service, but it was great to have this available.

The rooms were clean and well furnished. Beds were really comfy (I've come back deciding I need to buy myself a new mattress!). Good to have the extra room facilities (fridge, microwave etc), although I didn't need to use them.

The breakfast was great - plentiful, even when nearly at the end of time and staff were replenishing low stocks of food / drinks.

The location was excellent for seeing everything in San Diego. Parking was plentiful, shops and eating places were nearby too. I was hardly aware of airport noise or those of other people staying there and slept really well every night.

I would definately recommend this motel and would stay there again. Super value for a super motel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Osage Beach, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

The location was great but the service (especially AM & PM Desk ). Property was extremely clean and well maintained and rooms were very nice also. So much within walking distance or short cab ride and on property Mexican Restaurant was very good!!.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
HojoGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, April 21, 2010
We love Good Surprises! =)
Thanks for sharing your experience with other travelers about the Howard Johnson San Diego near SeaWorld.
Albion il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

We spent 4 nights at the Howard Johnsons for our sons Marine Graduation. It was clean,staff was friendly and helpful,did not rent a car but had shuttle or bus for transportation. We were very pleased with our stay .Good Breakfast as well. Wendy

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Congratulations on your New Marine!
And thank you for reviewing our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We are honored to be a host hotel for the Marine Graduation events and I am happy that we took good care of you and your family.
Thank you again and hope to see you again at the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I was very impressed with this property! Newly remodeled rooms, beautiful decor, comfortable bed, good sized room, great AAA price, simple but good breakfast, shuttle and friendly staff. Slightly noisy from airport. I'd absolutely stay again!!

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
HojoGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, April 9, 2010
Thank you for taking a few moments to review the Howard Johnson. And knowing that you enjoyed your room and stay lets us know that we are doing our job.
Hope to see you soon!
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

I stayed at the HOJO in San Diego for a weekend with my wife and two young children and could not be happier. It's a great location with a lot of things to do in the area. There were numerous places to eat in the immediate area. The rooms were very clean and the WIFI was nice to have. I have to say that the best asset to this location was the staff. They were very nice and courteous. We checked in later in the evening and Dave made sure we knew what restaurants were in the area. The night we got back home we realized we left our 4 year olds favorite stuffed animal in the room. I talked to Lisa the next morning and explained the situation and she called me back an hour later stating that they found his toy and was in the process of shipping it to my house. Two days later it arrived safely in the mail. Now that is awesome service, thanks HOJO San Diego!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
HojoGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
I am so happy to hear that my staff took great care of you and your family. Thats why we are here. =)
We are proud that our location is very central and that we provide clean rooms.
Regarding the Turtle, I do remember Leehza telling me about this. She was very concerned that it got back to you as soon as possible that when she left her shift that day, she went straight to the post office to make sure it went out the same day. So happy that your little one finally got Turtle back.
Thank you so much for letting us know how well we did and for sharing this with others.

Been to Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World? Share your experiences!