“Not nice” 1 of 5 stars

Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #123 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
“Not nice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I would not reccomened this place if you want a nice family holiday. Would be fine for young people wanting a cheap place to stay, but would not take children their. The door would not close properly, the phone didnt work, it smelt awful, we looked at a barb wire fence. Not a nice place at all. We left straight away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SD_GM92131, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I want to apologize for the experience you had at the hotel. I can assure you that we work hard to maintain our property, when there is any inconvenience at our hotel; we take pride in doing something about it as long as we are aware of the problem. I hope that you may consider staying with us again in the future! Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Our stay was fantastic. It's not a super flashy place but it's definitely one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have ever stayed at. Normally I check the crevasses in the bathroom and against the walls and everything was clean and dusted. It appeared as though the bathroom was recently updated and it was kept clean as well.

The woman who works the continental breakfast area from 6:30 - 8:30 (at least that's when we were there), on the weekdays is AWESOME - give her a raise - she was super helpful and very friendly. This also goes for the front desk staff. I was greeted warmly and they were extremely accommodating. The young woman at the front desk even let me use her computer to print out my flight tickets when the rude person at the computer station would not get off WELL over his 15 min time limit.

The location is great, except for you're in a high traffic area and there are some homeless people hanging around the area that sleep on the front lawn of some of the establishments (but that's just San Diego in general). The only thing I would change is the continental breakfast needs to have more fresh fruit (other than apples and oranges).

I would definitely stay at this HoJo's again and I think the staff is wonderful and the rooms are clean.

Room Tip: if you have 3 people get a room with a sofabed - it's reasonably comfortable and doesn't cos...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SD_GM92131, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent experience with us at the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld. I am so pleased that you felt our hotel to be "enjoyable" and "for reasonable money". We work hard to give the best service to all of our guests and provide the clean, comfortable and affordable rooms. We are so fortunate to have such a great staff at our property and I thank you for noticing that. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld, we hope to have you stay with us again! Go happy, ho Hojo!
Stratham, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I chose this hotel based on price, location and reviews from multiple sites. I was a convenient location to many attractions, including Point Loma, Cabrillo National Monument and Balboa Park. The price was good, and the hotel was decent - the only problem was the incredibly loud housekeepers, who started at 7:00am-7:30am each morning. My room happened to be next door to their area, so it was very loud in the mornings. They have no sense of the fact that people could be sleeping nearby. They have a continental breakfast, which I did not have, due to the numerous Starbucks locations in the area. For a short stay and convenient location, I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: 2nd floor at back of hotel - stay away from housekeeper area (room 123)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
SD_GM92131, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank You for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate what our guest have to say. I do apologize for any noise that may have happened in the early hours by the cleaning staff. I can assure you that this has been brought up to the appropriate department. I am pleased to hear that our location was convenient to your stay and that you were able to take advantage of that. Thank you for staying with us, we hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The HJ Inn was reasonably priced. The room was clean and spacious. However, our thermostat control did not work properly. The front desk attendant came over to our room but was unable to get it to work. The temperature outside was moderate so we managed to be comfortable anyways. This is certainly a "no frills" place but we were only looking for a reasonable hotel for one night before leaving on a cruise. The free breakfast buffet was a nice perk although they could have had a wider selection of items-e.g. bagels. We used the hotel shuttle to get us to our cruise registration. The driver, however, was extremely unfriendly and not very helpful-it took us quite a while to find where we had to go. We also got charged $10 for the shuttle. The location is good-there is a large plaza across the street with a Starbucks and various restaurants/stores. We ate in the Mexican restaurant next door and it was decent. I would stay there again for a quick trip but would find a hotel with a few more amenities for a longer stay. My biggest concern this trip was cleanliness and close to the airport and this place fit the bill perfectly for that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World? Share your experiences!