“HoJo stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #123 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
EVELETH
“HoJo stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Service was good but a little disappointed with the airport shuttle. It is limited times so not very convenient since we flew in early evening. Location was close to shopping mall but not convenient to tourist areas. Room was nice size but would be convenient for hair dryer and possibly another sink outside of shower area. Breakfast was good and waffles did give it variety. Could have used another shuttle or larger shuttle since time allowed to travel & drop off was not long enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wausau, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was in great shape, with nicely decorated rooms and comfortable beds.

There were only a few small problems. My biggest complaint is that checking in took forever...actually, about 30-40 minutes. There was one staff person on duty on Saturday evening. There were about four people checking in ahead of me. I did not expect to wait that long to get into my room!

On Saturday, the breakfast was very crowded and there wasn't much food left.

I needed to use the hotel printer to print out boarding passes. The hotel was having trouble with their Internet reception. The young man on duty that Sunday night tried very hard to make things work, and finally managed to hook up my lap top computer to the hotel printer so that I could print out the boarding passes.

The pool was small but clean, comfortable and very pleasant.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Check in staff was poor. Check in took a very long time and seemed very inefficient. The evening staff on Sunday was great. Check out was also very efficient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. Thank you for bringing up your concerns with our hotel as it is invaluable to us. Guests like you only make our job easier to address the items immediately that way similiar situation will not happen in the future. We are very happy to hear that we are a "nice hotel!" We strive to work hard in providing well maintained rooms and are glad that you took notice. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!
CALEXICO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Every thing both leaving SanDieago and returning was very smooth. No complaints and no suggestions. We'd stay again and also reccomend it to our friends. Did not use the breakfast option or the fitness facility. Too tired

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld. We appreciate such kind words and for staying with us as well. Thank you for the recommendation and we hope to see you during your next visit.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I think most people are talking out of there bums! This is a clean, cheap hotel . It's not five star but much cheaper, for a few day break it's fine, pool and free wifi, staff were very friendly, Ask for a upper floor if so .

• Stayed September 2012
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are also delighted to hear that our staff were "very friendly." We strive to work hard in providing exceptional quality service and are glad you took notice. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld and for all the kind words. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Go happy, go hojo :)
saint ignace, michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

First I would not recommend this hotel to anyone- even though it is close to MCRD, there are other hotels much nicer for no more or less money. The first thing that happened after arriving is that the room I had smelled terrible. Like an old smoking room that had never been cleaned. I had to be asked to move- then I realized there was no place within close walking distance to eat. And this area is not safe to walk around at. Especially at night. The new room was Ok but I was not impressed at all and I wished I could have immediately left.
They say they have a restaurant on the property, but it is not good at all and it serves Mexican foods primarily.
The staff were always nice and helpful- I showed them the letter I had stating that I would get a 25% discount for being an MCRD traveler, and they said yes to that. Upon check out they did not give me the discount although they kept showing me they did. It cost about 500.00 for 4 nights.
Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere- anywhere else would be better!! If you go to SD for graduation, stay at a place listed on the brochure the Marine Corp sends you!!!!

Room Tip: Some people liked the rooms and their stay. I would ask to see the room before you settle in- I wou...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Very nice. Small pool but nice to sit at after a busy day.beds were comfortable air was cold. Food was good. Appreciated the shuttle to and from airport and MCRD. Bus stops very close to get u anywhere. I had no problems checking in, we had adjoining rooms for the girls which was nice. I was witness to another gentleman trying to check in. The lady behind the desk was doing everything she could to find his reservation. She handled herself well under pressure. She did find his reservation. Drug store a block down so we were able to get snacks and drinks they have a nice size refrigerator and microwave. I appreciated the in room safe. We had a good stay no problems, even the planes taking off weren't a bother we had the air on. I did notice when we had the tv on and I went next door I could hear it.but we had it a bit loud to hear over the air. I would recommend this place for MCRD it's very close and the shuttle leaves early enough to give plenty of time to go through security. Remember to sign up the day before.on return it's first come first serve..

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. First of all, I would like to congratulate you on your graduating marine! We love taking care of the families with of a graduating marine. We appreciate you staying with us and taking notice of all of our amenities that we offer at our property. We strive to work had in providing exceptional quality service and are glad that you took advantage of them. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!
Topeka, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We traveled to San Diego from the midwest to see our son graduate from the Marine Recruit Training facility and the people there were very nice and helpful witht the process and were knowledgable about the process of Graduation from the Recruit Training. They were also extremely helpful in dealing with all the things that come with a recent graduate of the Marine Corps training (such as all the bags of stuff!!!) and with the complimentary shuttle that was offered to and from the base
The rooms were clean and neat and the air conditioner worked. It wasn't a fancy hotel, but very nice and clean

Room Tip: Be sure to book the time on the shuttle over to the MCRD as soon as possible as the "good times...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. We would also like to congratulate you on your graduating son! We know it may be a stressful process during graduation so we pay very close attention to the families that are involved. We strive to work hard in providing exceptional quality service and are glad you took notice. Thank you again for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. We hope to see you during your nevxt vist to San Diego. Thank you!

Been to Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World? Share your experiences!