“Missouri Traveler” 2 of 5 stars

500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   500 West Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
“Missouri Traveler”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was very disappointed! Maybe I did not read the description right, or maybe they expect you to read between the lines and I missed the point. I have stayed in older 'downtown' hotels several times and was always intrigued by their unique charm, I expected to hear noises such as water running through the pipes, creaking wood floors, and thin walls. I expected the looks of a once booming hotel of the 40's and 50's but not fitting in with today's modern styles. What I did not expect was dorm rooms with community bathrooms and showers. My immediate thought was that this hotel has the looks and feel of an old bordello.
The doors in the hall were painted over dozens of times, dark carpet (it might have been red but really cant remember) and when you enter the room you saw a twin size bed(s) on stilts - the kind you might find at a youth camp made out of 2 by 4's - with a mattress on top. The mattress was thicker and the thin bedspread and cover was clean. Overall the room was clean and included a little 20 inch TV.
The shower/bathroom was another experience. Now if you do not mind showering with hair on the floor and toilets wet from the previous user you might give this hotel a higher rating, unfortunately personally it's not my thing. Also, you open a shower with your key card but there is no way of telling if the shower/bathroom is occupied (other than hearing the water run), you need to make sure you lock the door from from the inside otherwise any person can walk in on you at any time. I would recommend this hotel for young people that are used to live in dorms but not so much for families or people with a little more expectation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

If you are looking for a cheap option this can be good for you. But the staff is not friendly and not so efficient (they informed us a wrong value for our stay, trying to charge more than the correct price). The toilets are not clean. Every day that we used them they were filthy. The both elevators are out of service. About the localization, it is near Gas Lamp and Downtown and it's near the trolley station as well. I think it's worth if you are not looking for high quality, because it's very cheap and convenient. But don't expect much about the structure inside, the cleaning and the staff

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was originally skeptical to stay at this hotel because of some lower reviews, but after doing my research and learning that the hotel came under new management we decided to give it a chance because of the great location. I am glad we did because the service was much better than we expected and nothing similar to the other reviews. The indoor basketball court with the YMCA was a nice addition for my family. In all we were very happy with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I came to San Diego in hopes of finding a solid place to stay, all while maintaining my budget. I came across 500 West in Downtown San Diego and I must say that I made a great choice for my trip. First of all, location, location, location. I was able to walk to practically any part of Downtown which was quite a sight to see. The front desk staff was very helpful and made sure that my stay would be as pleasant as possible. They provided some useful tips on how to get my way around San Diego. Next, the rooms were just as I expected, nothing spectacular, but definitely had a comfortable nights sleep. Finally, the lobby area has a unique ambiance with its nice smell and good background music which does not make it so dull, unlike most other places I've stayed. Oh, and they also have a pool table which was pretty neat! Overall, my stay at 500 west was definitely one to remember and highly recommend others to stay here.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I needed a place to stay at for a week as my home was undergoing remodeling. It ended up being much more pleasant then expected. The location is phenomenal being in downtown only a few blocks from the docks. The staff there was incredibly nice and welcoming. The room was great for what I paid for. I slept thoroughly throughout the nights without interruption. Meals were convenient due to the great restaurant in the very same building near the lobby and other restaurants in the area. I'd definitely stay here again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 6 nights at the end of May 2014. We went with this hotel as although it was really cheap, it seemed to be in walking distance to the places we wanted to visit.

We have stayed in cheap hotels before with the same amenities, Communal Showers, etc, but never one like this. First off the lady on the front desk was rude when she asked for payment. I challenged her thinking I had already paid before arrival, mistake on my part as the confirmation upon booking never said anything about paying when I get there. Having checked my bank she was correct, but could have handled it in a better manor.

Second problem was the Wi-Fi was not working which as travellers from the UK, we relied on for info. When I asked the front desk I was told 'it's broken' without an explanation. When I asked again they said it would be fixed before the weekend, it wasn't. Luckily there are many cafés, bars, restaurants with Wi-Fi so we just had to use them.

The room we got put in was dirty, my girlfriend would not put her bare feet on the filthy looking carpet, the walls were stained but the bedding seemed to be clean so we could sleep at least. The room was a corner room with windows on 2 walls, it was very very noisy! We would have requested a court yard room had we known. The showers were basic but seemed to be cleaned every day to an average standard, although on several occasions there was no hot water and we had to get icy cold showers. There was also some sort of little fly family that seemed to be nesting in most of the showers.

I would not recommend staying here unless you are on a tight budget, it is in a great location on Broadway, not too far to walk to the Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, etc but there will be other hotels closer to these places for just a little more money. When we return we will be looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a court yard room to block out street noise!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
500WestSD, Manager at 500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Hi Richard,

We truly do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with a candid review. We do agree that our hotel is a great value and its location is nearly unmatched in Downtown San Diego. As you experienced, we are just a short walk to Seaport Village, the Gaslamp District, and many other sights here in Downtown.

Our main focus, since acquiring the hotel just a few short months ago, has been the cleanliness of the rooms, common areas, and the restrooms. In the past week alone, we combed every single inch of the property to deliver a product people expect—welcoming, clean, and refreshing.
It’s regrettable that your stay wasn't more enjoyable. Our wifi did has some recent disruptions in service; we apologize for this and regret that this wasn't communicated better. We worked around the clock with vendors and service providers to get that service back online, which it was in short order.

Lastly, please do accept our apology for any unpleasant interaction you may have experienced with any of our associates. We stress the highest levels of customer service with each and every one of our associates and staff members and expect nothing but the highest of industry standards in the regard. On your next visit to San Diego, please do stop on by and you’ll find the friendliest and most helpful staff in Downtown.

At any hotel, on any trip, never hesitate to reach out to an associate on site with any feedback or to report things that do not meet your expectations. We’ll always do our best to make sure that your expectations aren't just met, but exceeded.

Best wishes on your future travels,

Management
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I first booked here because of the price. When I arrived I was greeted by the front desk staff (who where very nice) and the check in was smooth. On my way to my room i noticed the hallway carpet was recently cleaned and there was a very nice smell. I couldn't put my finger on it but it was nice. I stayed one of the smaller rooms with a communal bathroom. I am used to this sort of set up, my father was stationed in Germany and i have visited many hotels much like this one. For the price and location to the "gas lamp" district i have to say that i had a very nice stay.

Hi Diad_B,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We’re glad you were greeted by one of our friendly associates. We constantly stress delivering authentic and memorable interactions with all of our guests.

We’re glad you noticed the cleanliness of the property. Since we took over ownership and management just a few months ago, we have made this our highest priority and we’ve seen marked improvement through invaluable feedback from our many, many guests.

We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to San Diego.

Best regards,

Management

Been to 500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!