“Excellent Hotel, New Management” 5 of 5 stars

You added 500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   500 West Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
New York City, New York
“Excellent Hotel, New Management”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was originally skeptical to stay at this hotel because of some lower reviews, but after doing my research and learning that the hotel came under new management we decided to give it a chance because of the great location. I am glad we did because the service was much better than we expected and nothing similar to the other reviews. The indoor basketball court with the YMCA was a nice addition for my family. In all we were very happy with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I came to San Diego in hopes of finding a solid place to stay, all while maintaining my budget. I came across 500 West in Downtown San Diego and I must say that I made a great choice for my trip. First of all, location, location, location. I was able to walk to practically any part of Downtown which was quite a sight to see. The front desk staff was very helpful and made sure that my stay would be as pleasant as possible. They provided some useful tips on how to get my way around San Diego. Next, the rooms were just as I expected, nothing spectacular, but definitely had a comfortable nights sleep. Finally, the lobby area has a unique ambiance with its nice smell and good background music which does not make it so dull, unlike most other places I've stayed. Oh, and they also have a pool table which was pretty neat! Overall, my stay at 500 west was definitely one to remember and highly recommend others to stay here.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I needed a place to stay at for a week as my home was undergoing remodeling. It ended up being much more pleasant then expected. The location is phenomenal being in downtown only a few blocks from the docks. The staff there was incredibly nice and welcoming. The room was great for what I paid for. I slept thoroughly throughout the nights without interruption. Meals were convenient due to the great restaurant in the very same building near the lobby and other restaurants in the area. I'd definitely stay here again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 6 nights at the end of May 2014. We went with this hotel as although it was really cheap, it seemed to be in walking distance to the places we wanted to visit.

We have stayed in cheap hotels before with the same amenities, Communal Showers, etc, but never one like this. First off the lady on the front desk was rude when she asked for payment. I challenged her thinking I had already paid before arrival, mistake on my part as the confirmation upon booking never said anything about paying when I get there. Having checked my bank she was correct, but could have handled it in a better manor.

Second problem was the Wi-Fi was not working which as travellers from the UK, we relied on for info. When I asked the front desk I was told 'it's broken' without an explanation. When I asked again they said it would be fixed before the weekend, it wasn't. Luckily there are many cafés, bars, restaurants with Wi-Fi so we just had to use them.

The room we got put in was dirty, my girlfriend would not put her bare feet on the filthy looking carpet, the walls were stained but the bedding seemed to be clean so we could sleep at least. The room was a corner room with windows on 2 walls, it was very very noisy! We would have requested a court yard room had we known. The showers were basic but seemed to be cleaned every day to an average standard, although on several occasions there was no hot water and we had to get icy cold showers. There was also some sort of little fly family that seemed to be nesting in most of the showers.

I would not recommend staying here unless you are on a tight budget, it is in a great location on Broadway, not too far to walk to the Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, etc but there will be other hotels closer to these places for just a little more money. When we return we will be looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a court yard room to block out street noise!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
500WestSD, Manager at 500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Hi Richard,

We truly do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with a candid review. We do agree that our hotel is a great value and its location is nearly unmatched in Downtown San Diego. As you experienced, we are just a short walk to Seaport Village, the Gaslamp District, and many other sights here in Downtown.

Our main focus, since acquiring the hotel just a few short months ago, has been the cleanliness of the rooms, common areas, and the restrooms. In the past week alone, we combed every single inch of the property to deliver a product people expect—welcoming, clean, and refreshing.
It’s regrettable that your stay wasn't more enjoyable. Our wifi did has some recent disruptions in service; we apologize for this and regret that this wasn't communicated better. We worked around the clock with vendors and service providers to get that service back online, which it was in short order.

Lastly, please do accept our apology for any unpleasant interaction you may have experienced with any of our associates. We stress the highest levels of customer service with each and every one of our associates and staff members and expect nothing but the highest of industry standards in the regard. On your next visit to San Diego, please do stop on by and you’ll find the friendliest and most helpful staff in Downtown.

At any hotel, on any trip, never hesitate to reach out to an associate on site with any feedback or to report things that do not meet your expectations. We’ll always do our best to make sure that your expectations aren't just met, but exceeded.

Best wishes on your future travels,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I first booked here because of the price. When I arrived I was greeted by the front desk staff (who where very nice) and the check in was smooth. On my way to my room i noticed the hallway carpet was recently cleaned and there was a very nice smell. I couldn't put my finger on it but it was nice. I stayed one of the smaller rooms with a communal bathroom. I am used to this sort of set up, my father was stationed in Germany and i have visited many hotels much like this one. For the price and location to the "gas lamp" district i have to say that i had a very nice stay.

Hi Diad_B,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We’re glad you were greeted by one of our friendly associates. We constantly stress delivering authentic and memorable interactions with all of our guests.

We’re glad you noticed the cleanliness of the property. Since we took over ownership and management just a few months ago, we have made this our highest priority and we’ve seen marked improvement through invaluable feedback from our many, many guests.

We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to San Diego.

Best regards,

Huntington Beach Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Do not even think about it, do not book a room here.
I booked this hotel thru one of the online travel sites, it was listed as a great deal. And I felt it was a great deal since it is located in Downtown San Diego, in the Gas lamp district. So great location, great rate...it could not be that good to be true. The hotel is not what it shows in the photos, bathrooms are not in every room, security is non-existent and appears as if the location is a focal point for transients looking for trouble.
My wife and her friend attending a funeral were to use the hotel, once I learned of the problems immediately called the Westin and got a room there. And the difference in cost was only about $70
HUGE MISTAKE MADE WITH THIS BOOKING

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
500WestManagement, Manager at 500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Humberto,

Thank you for taking the time to candidly review our hotel. While we strive to please each and every guest, it is regrettable you did not enjoy your stay at 500 W. Broadway. We are a new management group that took over ownership and we have begun several new initiatives to improve and refresh the property, so these unfortunate experiences you described will be a thing of the past. Our location in Downtown San Diego is superb due to its proximity to the Embarcadero, Little Italy, the Gaslamp District, and many other sights.

In the future, we encourage you to book directly on our website as it accurately portrays the amenities and services of the property. We cannot always verify the accuracy of information from third party properties.

Best of luck in your future travels.

Regards,

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This place was cheap for a reason. All the other hotels around this area charge 3-4 times as much a night for a room. It's a communal bathroom set up, but they are stalls and not like a mass open area like dorm rooms so you do get your privacy. You just have to walk a little bit from your room for it. This place could use some upkeep though. The carpet was stained and the paint could use touch up. If they fixed that up, I think people wouldn't give it such bad reviews. Surprisingly, the bed wasn't too bad either. I slept alright on it. The location was great. It was only a half mile to the main Gaslamp area, but be warned that parking in this area sucks. Half the street spots are no parking from 3-6am for street sweeping.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear liquimj,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay at the 500 West Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are already actively refreshing many of the public areas, including those you mentioned. This is a part of several new initiatives that we have begun since our arrival as new ownership and management since May. On your next visit, you will experience many welcome changes to the property.

Parking is difficult as in any major downtown area, but come and speak to us at the front desk and we’ll point you to some great garages and lots nearby.

Regards,