“Great Spot!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My fiance´ and I stayed her during our engagement weekend. Excellent accommodations and wonderful staff. I can't commend the staff more on how friendly and kind they were! Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Great area walking distance from excellent restaurants and bars.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, Front Desk Agent at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
All of as at the hotel are pleased that we were able to help make your engagement weekend a success! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and wish you the best for your and your fiancee.

All the best,
Dante

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed at this Marriott recently while on a business trip. All the staff I encountered were very friendly, the room was clean and modern (I stayed on the 20th or 21st floor). Location was great. Here's a list of pros and cons:

Pros:
- Location was perfect for my trip. Tons of really great restaurants to walk to. If you want to take in a baseball game, the stadium is literally diagonally across the street from the hotel.
- Breakfast was very good and the serving sizes were huge. Of course, it's not free, but this is a regular Marriott.
- Rooftop bar was very cool. A great place to have a drink and look out over the city. Also looks right into the baseball stadium so if you could find a spot along the edge, you could possibly watch some of the game with an obstructed view for free.
- Some great little service touches. I had a couple of free bottles of water. And the turndown service left me with Peppermint Patties or Junior Mints.

Cons:
- Biggest issue I had was the $10/day wifi fee. I wish the big name hotels would shift to offering free internet but they know the business traveler will pay the fee so until that stops, I don't see this changing. For this reason alone I can't give 5 dots.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for all the positive comments from your recent stay with us. We understand the wifi fee is an inconvenience in this day and age where technology plays an integral part of our lives. We look forward to having wifi offered complimentary to our guests in the future. In the meantime, we hope to welcome you back to San Diego for another pleasant stay.

All the best,
Dante
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel is in a former bank building that was built in 1928, which gave it a lot of character. The front desk staff was so friendly and helpful. The gentleman who checked us in suggested that we take the elevator to the "S" level for a nice surprise. It turned out to be the original vault, which had been converted into a meeting room. My sisters and I enjoyed exploring all of the interesting things to see down there. The rooms themselves were very nice, with all the amenities you want (such as free Internet service) but not the ones you don't (like an overpriced "convenience" bar). And their customer service is outstanding. I accidentally left something in the room and called from the airport when I realized it. A woman got back to me within a couple of hours to tell me that she had the shirt and offered to send it to my home at no cost to me. A couple of days later, it arrived. Now, that's the way to run a business!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Spokane, WA USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed at the Gaslamp Quarter Marriott while in San Diego for business. I found everything from check-in to check-out to be well done. The staff were all exceedingly polite, even just when meeting them on the elevator or in the hallway. When I arrive I always check for cleanliness. This place was terrific. The bathroom, which often is the most challenging, was fresh and spotless. The only downside to the whole visit was that there is no free Wi-Fi in the rooms. They charge $9.95 for 24 hours. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby and business center, but really? It is the convenience of having it in the room that really matters. This was my only disappointment. The rest of the stay was perfect!

Room Tip: I asked to be away from the elevator and got room 1026. It was very quite.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Guest Service Agent at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Brooke_56_12,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel! We do our best to provide the best customer service and environment for our guests, and we are thrilled to know you had experienced just that. The inconvenience of the Wi-Fi is most definitely noted, and we appreciate the relayed concern. Otherwise, we are very grateful for your choice in our hotel and hope to have you back!

Best regards,
Alyssa
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was not my best experience with Marriott. I typically have a great experience when staying in a Marriott. However, this stay was disappointing. I made the reservations on-line and did not think to check my rate (my fault) and it was higher than the rate I thought I selected…the desk staff (front desk supervisor) was not helpful, just told me that was my confirmed rate and there was nothing to discuss and nothing she could do…her manager would be there in an hour if I wanted to discuss further. I requested a late checkout because I was booked on the redeye…the desk staff told me that she could not help me and I needed to wait until the next day to call at 6:00 a.m. to see if a late checkout was possible. I later followed up with the desk manager who helped me get scheduled for a late checkout. I requested suggestions for a late dinner because we arrived around 10:00 p.m. and the desk staff had no suggestions other than room service or the Subway across the street. We actually got a recommendation for Brian’s from the valet staff.

On a positive note…the rooms were nice, the concierge lounge/restaurant staff were responsive and the desk managers were knowledgeable and helpful. I will continue to frequent Marriott but will start to explore other hotels because there has been what I consider a lot of inconsistencies in the service. I do not like to travel and while I do not expect things to be perfect…there have been too many inconveniences for me not to look at other options.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Walk04,

Thank you for brining your disappointment to our attention. I will certainly address what occurred with our front desk staff. It is never our intension to upset any of our guests. I hope that you will accept our most sincere apologies.

We would love the opportunity to regain your trust, and if your travels bring you back to San Diego, I hope that you will consider staying with us again. I am very confident that your next experience will be different.

Warmest regards,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations
San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Full disclosure - I'm not a Marriott fan. Generally I find the hotels tired. But this hotel exceeded my expectations.

Well located just a short stroll from the Convention Centre and across from Petco Baseball park, its on the edge of Gaslamp district, which is good, because the bars on 5th get noisy.

There's a great rooftop bar with amazing views and great margaritas.

Check in staff were super friendly, and my room was serviced very well. In fact, the maid tidied up my room so well, I thought my Mum had been in to tidy up the mess on my desk and table top. Thanks!!

I'd return if ever in San Diego. Such a pleasant town.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Guest Service Agent at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear jetlagwoofer,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. We are happy that you thought the location was so convenient for your needs. Yes, our rooftop bar Altitude does have an amazing view of Coronado bay and Petco Park! We always strive to make our guests feel right at home, and we are glad to hear that our housekeeping and check in staff could do that for you! We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Katia
Corona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

You can never go wrong with Marriott! This hotel offers 2 top notch bars/restaurants in the hotel, a comfortable room, and excellent customer service from valet parking to room service. The location of Marriott Gaslamp Quarter lends itself to walking distance of Gaslamps restaurants, bars, shops, the Convention Center, and Petco Stadium. If you want to do additional site seeing away from the Gaslamp District there are several types of public transportation readily available that are close by.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Bay opt for the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cyndi L,

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always try our best to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and love to hear that that is what you experienced with our staff. We are happy that you found the location so accessible to all of your needs. Yes, we are very conveniently located to most of the restaurants and activities downtown. We really look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Katia

Been to San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!