“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was not my best experience with Marriott. I typically have a great experience when staying in a Marriott. However, this stay was disappointing. I made the reservations on-line and did not think to check my rate (my fault) and it was higher than the rate I thought I selected…the desk staff (front desk supervisor) was not helpful, just told me that was my confirmed rate and there was nothing to discuss and nothing she could do…her manager would be there in an hour if I wanted to discuss further. I requested a late checkout because I was booked on the redeye…the desk staff told me that she could not help me and I needed to wait until the next day to call at 6:00 a.m. to see if a late checkout was possible. I later followed up with the desk manager who helped me get scheduled for a late checkout. I requested suggestions for a late dinner because we arrived around 10:00 p.m. and the desk staff had no suggestions other than room service or the Subway across the street. We actually got a recommendation for Brian’s from the valet staff.

On a positive note…the rooms were nice, the concierge lounge/restaurant staff were responsive and the desk managers were knowledgeable and helpful. I will continue to frequent Marriott but will start to explore other hotels because there has been what I consider a lot of inconsistencies in the service. I do not like to travel and while I do not expect things to be perfect…there have been too many inconveniences for me not to look at other options.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Walk04,

Thank you for brining your disappointment to our attention. I will certainly address what occurred with our front desk staff. It is never our intension to upset any of our guests. I hope that you will accept our most sincere apologies.

We would love the opportunity to regain your trust, and if your travels bring you back to San Diego, I hope that you will consider staying with us again. I am very confident that your next experience will be different.

Warmest regards,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations
San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Full disclosure - I'm not a Marriott fan. Generally I find the hotels tired. But this hotel exceeded my expectations.

Well located just a short stroll from the Convention Centre and across from Petco Baseball park, its on the edge of Gaslamp district, which is good, because the bars on 5th get noisy.

There's a great rooftop bar with amazing views and great margaritas.

Check in staff were super friendly, and my room was serviced very well. In fact, the maid tidied up my room so well, I thought my Mum had been in to tidy up the mess on my desk and table top. Thanks!!

I'd return if ever in San Diego. Such a pleasant town.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Guest Service Agent at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear jetlagwoofer,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. We are happy that you thought the location was so convenient for your needs. Yes, our rooftop bar Altitude does have an amazing view of Coronado bay and Petco Park! We always strive to make our guests feel right at home, and we are glad to hear that our housekeeping and check in staff could do that for you! We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Corona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

You can never go wrong with Marriott! This hotel offers 2 top notch bars/restaurants in the hotel, a comfortable room, and excellent customer service from valet parking to room service. The location of Marriott Gaslamp Quarter lends itself to walking distance of Gaslamps restaurants, bars, shops, the Convention Center, and Petco Stadium. If you want to do additional site seeing away from the Gaslamp District there are several types of public transportation readily available that are close by.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Bay opt for the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cyndi L,

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always try our best to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and love to hear that that is what you experienced with our staff. We are happy that you found the location so accessible to all of your needs. Yes, we are very conveniently located to most of the restaurants and activities downtown. We really look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel was extremely clean and spacious. I had a huge desk to work at, a very big bathroom and room was well lit. I also had a great view of the San Diego ball park. This was definitely one of the nicest Marriott’s I have ever stayed at. The price for the room is more that I personally would pay but it was a business trip and it was in a good location. There are many restaurants, shops and you could even walk to Horton Plaza. The ladies at the front desk were very helpful and knowledgeable. Only complaint - I waited almost 5 minutes one morning for an elevator.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Assistant Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear lilizmom,

Thank you for your review. We love the feedback and we will work hard to make improvements that our guests suggest. I am glad to hear that you found our hotel and staff so accommodating and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Best regards,
Kirill
Redondo Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I traveled with our two young children 7 and 5 years old so we could see the San Diego Padres Play. We stayed at this hotel for one night. The room was nice and the front staff were very friendly. They even gave us a room that over looked Padres Stadium. We mentioned that my son was having a birthday and they surprised us with a mini cake and candle when we got into the room after the game. Parking is 40 dollars a night, but we got lucky as we parked on the street right next to the hotel. The hotel is within walking distance to the Padres Stadium and eateries. There is a roof top bar which was pretty nice. Lots of young people or young couples. I would stay here again if I were to go to the Padres baseball game. The only thing I wished they had was a swimming pool. That would put the icing on the cake.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear bigbob0708,

Thank you so much for your great review! We are so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us here at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter! We are always looking for ways to improve our guest's experience and we are happy to hear that is what you received. Yes, our rooftop bar is wonderful, with great views of Coronado bay and Petco Park. And our downtown location is very close to many shops and restaurants in the area. Again, thank you for your terrific review. We definitely look forward to having you come stay with us soon!

cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here for a conference in March. It's very convenient to the convention center. You are a short walk away from all the great restaraunts and entertainment. There's great places to run in the morning and their work out facilities are also decent. You are actually also can look out and see into the baseball stadium. I found this very convenient for in and out to the airport as well. The pool are was fantastic to just sit at and relax. Nice place, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about facing the convention center. If you do this you can see a little of the oce...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Guest Service Agent at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear cometman,

We are happy to hear your stay with us was a great one! Our location is one of the many awesome
qualities of the hotel. We thank you for the feedback and are excited to see you again sometime soon!

Best regards,
Blake
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a very nice hotel which lives up to Marriott standards. What separates this hotel from others is the location. It is right next door to the baseball stadium, Petco Park. In fact, they have a rooftop bar area where you can actually look right down into the stadium and see the game! It is also a block from the gaslamp disctrict so you don't need to have a car or drive once you get there.

Room Tip: Get a room with a stadium view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!