“Super awesome hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Clarksburg, Maryland
“Super awesome hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business in September. Rooms are spacious, clean, and updated. I had a view of the baseball stadium however they weren't inn town that week too bad. Bar on top floor has amazing views of the city and ballpark. Lots of great restaurants within a block with outside seating. Gas lamp is a great area and this hotel fits in well

They need more elevators but with aspace a premium hats not going to happen.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

7 nights here, in town for work. I was given a room upgrade upon my arrival. That was really appreciated (and has happened before here). From the bellman, to the concierge, to my room service staff, all seemed intent on my needs. I understand that some jobs depend on tips, but feeling pressured to tip lessens the sincerity of the service. That did not happen here.
My room rate was fair. My room was very good. The attention to my needs was very good. The concierge lounge was available and very good. I will be back in town to work again. I will stay here because they clearly want me to, and cannot just depend on location. They earn it.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was an enjoyable and pleasant stay. I had a conference to attend at another Marriott a few blocks away, but their rates were prohibitive. So this Marriott was a relatively convenient, manageable alternative. Room was good size, comfortable and well equipped (one minor flaw--no mini bar or in-room snack service). Starbucks coffee in the room and in the lobby (free) was a nice touch (though the maid did not remove my old coffee bag from the coffee maker the next day). I supposedly had a view of the PETCO baseball stadium, but really all I could see was a small slice of left-field and (I think) the bullpen. I imagine higher floors have better stadium views, a nice perk when games are on. It also appeared that some rooms had balconies--but mine didn't (even though I am Marriottt Silver). One of my recurring complaints about Marriotts as compared with Sheratons and Hiltons is that Marriott seems to almost always be stingy with late check outs for their premium member guests, whereas at other hotels it seems virtually guaranteed. Here all I could get was a 1:30, which caused me a stressful post-conference rush back to the hotel, but otherwise ended up being OK. Leisure travellers should also know that this Marriott has no pool, unlike the pricey (and resort-like) Marriott down the street (known as the "Marriott Marina"). My lunch at the hotel was fine, though the cost of a diet coke was equivalent to a glass of wine elsewhere. I went to the "hip" rooftop lounge one evening. Big views (and even bigger attitude--I went looking for that missing pool and a staff member curtly told me "Hey man--you can't go there.") Man? It appears more geared to an outside--non-guest--crowd, a number of whom had clearly sampled more than a few of the pricey drinks. One evening there was a 'block party/carnival" on one of the adjoining blocks, which meant you had to do a little detour to get to the hotel--a minor annoyance for which the hotel wasn't responsible. Still, on principle I object to public streets being blocked off for private events and I would have wished the hotel could have arranged "safe passage." Parking for this downtown hotel is expensive, so budget for that (or seek out a cheaper public lot nearby). Bottom line: for the business traveller, the baseball fan, or someone who wants to be near the Gas Lamp action (and doesn't mind the lack of a mini-bar or a pool), this place more than does the trick.

Room Tip: Some rooms seem to have baconies--some higher rooms have baseball stadium views. Others face the wat...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Guest Services Associate at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Kenat 323,

Thank you for staying at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room comfortable. Many guests stay at our hotel for the Padres games and for business as you recommend. Our central location within the Gaslamp Quarter also makes it a great hotel for guests looking to explore popular San Diego attractions around the downtown area. We hope we can welcome you back soon.

Cape May, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while on vacation. We had a corner suite with city views (rm 1122). Our room was clean, an updated bathroom, and overall very nice. The check in process was fast and easy. A crib was delivered to our room within a few minutes of us getting to the room. The concierge Lounge for Marriott rewards members had a hot breakfast daily and cocktails in the evening. The front desk staff was helpful with directions and very friendly. Our sleep was great because the room was so quiet. We would definitely stay here again.

As a contrast, we also stayed at the harbor side Hilton during this stay. The service at the Hilton was poor and the location is just a bit further than the Marriott. If you are deciding between the two, I would pick the Marriott

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to eliminate any street noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, Guest Service Associate at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear ddsnj,

Thank you for staying with us at the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. I am pleased to read that your experiences with our staff and room accommodations were enjoyable. Our Concierge team works diligently and it is great to hear that their efforts translate to a pleasant Marriott Rewards experience for our members. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back next time you are in San Diego.

Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Next to Gaslamp District and Petco Park. A great place to catch a game. Staff were friendly and helpful in explaining use of the lightrail system which is a great way to get around San Diego.
We were very pleased with breakfast in the hotel restaurant and we also frequented two of the hotel bars for a quick cocktail. One bar has dramatic views of San Diego on a higher floor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim M,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. It is great to read that our staff was very accommodating and that you were able to enjoy our restaurant Soleil @K and our Latitude bar. Our Altitude Sky Lounge offers a breathtaking city view that I'm glad you had the chance to experience. To keep up to date with the latest San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter news, please follow us on Twitter @marriottgaslamp or like our Facebook page facebook.com/MarriottGaslamp. We hope to see you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here on business recently and found the hotel to be as i expected from a large chain.

My room was a very good size and the two double beds were comfortable. As i had a long haul flight to get here sleep was important. The room was quiet and bed was fine. I was on the 16th floor and had a reasonable view.
There are rooms over looking the baseball ground so request one of those if you can.
Internet wasnt comp which i find disapointing in a hotel in the US.

I ate in the resturanet and the food was good. Also the bar on the roof is well worth a visit at night as you can see the city views

I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone. Staff were polite and helpful when i needed them.

The lack of pool is the only downside but i understand you can use the one in the sister hotel across the road.

Room Tip: Get a room high up and over looking the basball ground
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Eddie_Catflap,

Thank you for staying at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. I am pleased to read that you found your room, our restaurant Soleil @K, and our Altitude Sky Lounge satisfying. Altitude was recently voted Best Downtown Bar by Union Tribune readers as it is a great place for a spectacular view of downtown San Diego. It is also great to read that our staff was helpful and accommodating. We strive to take care of our guests so you can enjoy everything the Gaslamp Quarter has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Woodland Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Great place to stay in San Diego! Super friendly staff and very helpful. Not far from the Gaslamp district, ballpark and the great restaurants of Little Italy! Breakfast in the morning was above average and once again the staff did everything from driving us to the ballpark to getting us fed even when we were a little late for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Michael M,

Thank you for your review and for staying at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. I am very pleased to read that our staff was friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our central location in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter allow our guests to enjoy everything the downtown San Diego area has to offer and more! If you would like to keep up to date with the latest San Diego Marrriott Gaslamp Quarter news, please follow us on Twitter @marriottgaslamp or like our Facebook page facebook.com/MarriottGaslamp. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Danielle

Been to San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!