“Favorite Hotel For Padres Games” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #55 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Favorite Hotel For Padres Games”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times when attending a Padre Game. You are so close that you can run back to your room if you need a jacket!!

The staff and hotel is very accomodating. When you pull up, some clean cut young men greet you, help you unload and then take your car away. At the front desk, you are greeted by bowls of cansy, usually salt water taffy, pixy stix, neccos, and tootsie rolls.

We always ask for a room with a view of the ballpark so that we can watch the set up before and clean up after the games. The kids love that. The rooms have all the usual amenities, plus some.

The area is full of fun things to do and visit but not much for kids, except the New Children's Museum which is for younger kids.

If you are a platinum Marriott member, they offer a continental breakfast during the week AND on weekends in the concierge lounge. The concierge lounge has a great view of the bay and ballpark.

The reason it did not get 5 stars from me were:
1. no pool (altho' the Residence Inn across the street does)
2. the gym is on the same floor as the bar, so while all these nicely dressed people are partying, you get to walk by all sweaty,
3. the parking is very expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Overall the hotel was nice. Great staff, clean rooms and perfect location. My challenges, though minor were a little frustrating. 1. Thin walls, they are so thin I can hear the restroom being used behind me. 2. They don't explain when using your debit card that they are charging double the cost of the room. This was a shock when I handed them my card and received a text that $600 was just charged to my back account. I no longer had any money for my trip so I had to cut my travels by a day. Luckily gaslamp is pretty to walk around and sightsee with out funds.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I cant say enough about the perfect location of this beautiful hotel, its on the middle of everywhere u wanna be and go, the view of petco park from the rooms is simply amazing!!! the altitude sky lounge is a must even if u r not staying at this hotel, super comfy and cozy beds, fast valet parking service, (price is also fair)......Great restaurants and bars around it, everything within a walking distance. I hardly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Diego and specially the gaslamp district!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our first trip to San Diego was made even better with the hotel I got on Priceline , the wonderful- Marriott Gas-lamp , the location is perfect. The gas lamp area has so much to offer . This hotel is just a fridge away from being a 5 Star hotel. The staff were great , the breakfast great . The view and ambience up at the roof top bar is great . We will return to San Diego ,we both want to explore more , A Fridge could get me back here , even at full price. We loved the room . So comfy .

• Stayed June 2013
Brentwood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, its within walking distance to the convention center, ball park, MLK promenade, city transportation, bus tours pick up locations, mall, and a large variety of restaurants (check out the Strip Club...it's a steak house.) The rooms are luxurious, the beds are cozy, and my room view was fun (I had a ballpark view and enjoyed watching and hearing the crowd during two night games.) I enjoyed cocktails at the Altitude Sky Lounge as well as breakfast and desserts at the Concierge Lounge. Aside from the great location the best part of this hotel is the staff, they're hospitality was wonderful!! We were welcomed by the friendly front desk staff who had our room ready at 11am, housekeeping gladly guided us to our room, concierge recommended a day trip, and the concierge lounge staff were my go to people. The morning staff, John and Virginia, welcomed me with a smile and warm greeting each morning for breakfast then provided me with snacks and tips for my daily adventure; when I returned the next day for breakfast they were eager to hear about my adventure from the previous day. The evening staff, Kat, feed my sweet tooth and made me feel as if I was comfortably at home enjoying a night of "Wheel of Fortune".
An appreciative "thank you" to the staff for your hospitality, my brief stay at your hotel was for respite relief, it was wonderful to be pampered by your staff.

Room Tip: Enjoy the sights and sounds overlooking the ballpark.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Shirley R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay, loved our staff and appreciated the views and cocktails in Altitude. We all take a lot of pride in assuring that all of our guests have the best possible experience in every aspect of our hotel. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards,

Sean Mattix
Director of Food & Beverage
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A must stop for any trip to San Diego. Location is at the top of the Marriott right next to Petco Park. Great place to grab a cold one B4 a Padre game. Great view of the ballpark and the employee's are always friendly. Drinks are a little pricy but the view makes up for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
PadreChris,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your visit to Altitude. It is always nice to read that people appreciate our friendly staff and the amazing view.

Regards,
Sean Mattix
Director of Food & Beverage
Salinas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I got this hotel as it was within walking distance of the convention center. It's a fun area to be in, but also near the Ballpark and fireworks constantly going off if the Padres score when it's in town. The staff was great, very helpful with maps for places I wanted to get to in the area. My room wasn't ready when I got there early and I gave them my phone number to call me when it was ready while I went to the convention center and walked around the Gaslamp. They called within 30 minutes to let me know. They have your room key also as security keys in the elevator for going above the 7th floor, and while it's nice to have, it also takes a few times to work. They also have in the evenings an elevator blocked off for party bar, which leaves 3 left for the rest of the hotel. I would come here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!