“Would Return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lou & Mickey's

Lou & Mickey's
224 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101-6958 (Downtown)
619-237-4900
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lou & Mickey's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #272 of 4,093 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: L Street
Transit: Gaslamp Stop (Trolley)
Description: Gaslamp's "Favorite Steakhouse" is directly across the street from the San Diego Convention Center and two blocks from Petco Park. Join us for famous steaks, choice seafood, and exotic drinks.
Southern California
“Would Return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our first visit was very nice. The dining room has a nice ambiance, and there is patio dining for those that wish to watch the people and hear the trolly and train. Our server was friendly and attentive. One small snafu, an order of steak with blue cheese crust was served without the blue cheese crust. Once reminded, the waiter did bring melted blue cheese in a small cup - not the same but... Overall the quality of the beef was excellent and the Chef prepared our Pittsburgh Style "black and blue" perfectly. The mussels and oysters were fresh and very flavorful. The chocolate ice cream was especially good, really a nice ice cream!!! They offer root beer floats and I will do that next time, just 'cause the ice cream was so darn good. Typically I do not brag about ice cream but this was incredible and everyone commented about it. We would definitely return here and feel it is a nice welcome change from the standard steakhouse chains.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dallas, Texas
“We talk about this place all the time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

One of the best steakhouses in the country. Looking forward to going in July 2013 again. Amazing seafood and steaks- if you are wanting the best steak ever- this is the place. We talk about how awesome this place is all the time. Any time my husband is in San Diego - this is where he goes. Just try it. You won't be let down.
Update- just returned from San Diego and had to add to my review. This place is still amazing!! We went with another couple. Started with the cold seafood tower for 4. That was outstanding! I don't know how we finished it. I also had a bowl if French onion with no crouton. Awesome! And I was so happy to find out their au gratin potatoes are GF. That made my trip- those are amazing and I was so hoping that I would be able to eat them. The steaks are always outstanding and cooked perfectly. So glad we were able to have dinner there. Perfect end to a trip to San Diego!

• Visited July 2013
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“The Real Deal ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

From the moment we were greeted by our server (I think his name was Anthony) we knew we were in for a great evening. Service was top notch and the steaks were absolutely fabulous ...every bit as good as Keens in NYC. The sides were delicious and the wines fairly priced. The atmosphere was traditional steak house style and while the steaks are expensive, they are no more expensive than other steak houses of the same caliber. The steaks are large, prime quality and most importantly are properly prepared. Everyone's steak was cooked exactly as they ordered it ...medium-rare was not medium and medium was not medium rare.

Bravo.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I decided to eat here on a whim for his birthday during our vacation. It was close to the hotel and we had our 4 month old with us (slept in stroller the whole time). The location was nice and we sat outside. We both ordered steak, and I changed mine to a seafood plate before the waiter put our orders in and he said it was no big deal. When they brought our food, they brought me a steak. I told them about the mix-up, no big deal, it happens. They then brought the correct entree and we ate. My husband's steak was so over seasoned, he had to scrape off a thick layer of seasoning in order to eat it, and my seafood was so-so. The waiter then told us he had a surprise for my husband and brought out a huge slice of chocolate cake. We thought that was nice and ate a few bites (chocolate cake is not either of our favorites, but who's going to turn down free chocolate?) We then asked for the bill and I was shocked to see the bill was almost $100 more than I was expecting. I took a closer look and saw that we had been charged for a bottle of wine (I had a glass), I had been charged for a steak and the seafood plate, and he had charged us for the chocolate cake that we didn't ask for! I brought this to his attention and he fixed the bill. Overall, I was not impressed with the food, the service was ok, and they tried to overcharge us by almost $100 on an already overpriced and underwhelming meal.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Holy smokes! Great food and seafood appetizers. The bone in Filet is amazing. There was a hiccup when they didn't have the Halibut but they more than made up for it with dessert! Great staff and ambiance. It is a little pricey but you got to try it at least once