“Best authentic Italian” 5 of 5 stars

619-543-0049
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Parma Cucina Italiana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 4,055 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
North Hollywood
“Best authentic Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

If you are looking for mediocre oily cheesy italian food, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for authentic with layers of flavor then you've come to the right place. Please be aware the menu is small and not filled with tons options like other places. The menu is small but prepared perfectly. Our party of four, including 2 teens went for a nice lunch, I was apprehensive at first as the girls were looking over the menu, no spaghetti, no chicken fettacinni.... they were apprehensive at first untill the food arrived and they started eating.
Our party had carpaccion, caprese buratta ( which the girls were reluctant to share ). tortallini panna prosciutto ( me ) Lasagne and penne salsiccia . It was delcious with lovely the pasta al dente with the perfect mouth feel. I'm not a fan of lasagne, too oily, too gooey, falling apart, but I couldn't help myself from helping myself again and again to the sheegrin of my wife to hers. Its a authentic lasagne with bechemel sauce, not oversauced, with pasta perfect so you can fork a bit off without the whole dan thing falling apart. Next time I'm getting that. My daughter and her friend also enjoyed their pasta and admittted it was much more flavorful and yummy and that trying something new was a good thing. The desserts and the cappaccino were a wonderful end to a great lunch. To add the staff were very friendly, informative and attentive. This is some place I would definitly come back to every time I'm in town.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

96% Recommend
Los Angeles, California
“OMG - delicious, lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

If you are looking for your typical overly cheesy 6 page menu of iItallian food , this is not the place for you. If you are looking for fresh ingrediants, layers of flavors and authenticity then you need to come here. So yummy. When we first came in, I was a bit worried having two teenagers with me, menu was small and the food very traditional . Not your typical place with something to please everyone ( usually making the flavors less than can be) our small party of 4 had Carppacio, Caprese buratta, penne salsiccia, tortalini panna proscuitto and lasagne. The buratta was so creamy and fresh that my daughter and her friend ended up eating most of it, slapping our hands away. The pasta was full of flavor and ala dente. Now the lasagne amazing !. My husband who normally does not like the soft slippery layers of pasta with lots of oily gooey cheese, came back for several bites of my order, . Parmas version is authentic with bechemel sauce and so light, creamy and flavorful. The pasta is tender yet holds so you can fork a nice bite of lasagne without it collaping into a hot mess. The desserts and cappaccinos were delicious as well. Add to that the lovely and very attentive and informative staff. You have a restaurant that you want to visit again. alas, we do not live in San Deigo so we can only dream of the next drive down to that area and Parma will definitely be on our to eat at list.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
USA
“Outstanding in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

If you want authentic Italian in a modern, clean, and cozy atmosphere then this is your place. This is the real deal. The food is amazing, including the dessert. An extensive wine list gives a wide variety and they will let you sample some before filling your glass. This place isn't just for hipsters but anyone that enjoys real Italian food. I highly recommend it!
Parking kinda sucks but it's the area of town, not the restaurant's fault.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Pasadena, California
“Delizioso!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Looking for a good Italian restaurant early on a Friday night we chanced onto Parma and are so pleased to find this gem of a restaurant in the heart of Hillcrest. We were greeted in Italian and immediately seated (having made a reservation). We had no expectations - we had read some good reviews - but, we were swept away by the friendliness of our vivacious Sicilian server and the truly delicious, very authentic cuisine.

We began with a house salad that was dressed with a high quality Balsalmic elixir. Two of us had the special which was homemade heavenly light spinach and ricotta filled pasta "pillows"
with a rich Porcini mushroom sauce. Others at our table had the lasagna and the pasta in a chunky tomato sauce. They both enjoyed their entrees. We all enjoyed the Chianti recommended by our server.

The dessert was a triumph; the best Italian cake I have ever had anywhere - and that is saying a lot! They call it Torta Manuela. It is described on the menu as a rustic creamy ricotta filled cake topped with a thin chocolate layer. OMG - stop the presses. It is divine! Really. And there really is a Manuella. She was there but doesn't speak English. I hope we were successful in communicating how much we loved her cake. I don't usually gush but...it was outstanding.

I loved Parma and will definitely return. Give it a try! N