“Fantastic food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taka Restaurant

Taka Restaurant
555 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101-6913 (Downtown)
619-338-0555
Neighborhood: Downtown
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We was in this restaurant twice!we had a good time,The food just like in Japan,during cooking the chef all the time talking with you!Thank a lot for Hiroshi san!!!! ,He is really cool!

Visited September 2013

Damascus, Syria
“The best sushi in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The sushi was great , fresh and so delicious , the service was very good , and they waitress was very friendly

• Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Sushi and Delicious Tofu too!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

While visiting San Diego we decided to try this Sushi restaurant. It is small so we were advised to make reservations. We sat outside on a beautiful night, and it was great fun watching all the people walk by. We ordered an extreme amount of rolls and enjoyed them all. My appetizer was the Aged Tofu with wild mushrooms and I just loved it. Really the best I've had. I don't remember the price but we ordered so much and for our happy group it was worth it!!!

• Visited June 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Not just fresh, it's live... seriously, live.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My coworkers and I came here at the advice of a friend who said it was a very authentic sushi restaurant. Even though it was Saturday night and we didn't have a reservation, the hostess got us a seat pretty quickly at the sushi bar, which was fun because they encourage you to talk to the chefs making the rolls and ask questions. So my colleague asked, what is today's special? "Live shrimp," they said. Live? A few minutes later, they got an order. Sure enough, the sushi chef held up several big wiggly prawns, and told us that in Japan they just sort of rip off the tails and take a bite. Eek.

A couple minutes later, that order was ready: a plate of extremely fresh decapitated shrimp heads surrounded by sushi rolls made from the body of the shrimp. They set it on the counter right in front of one of my coworkers, who gasped. And while it sat there for a couple minutes before the waiter could pick it up, the antennae started twitching like crazy as a reflex. We all just about fell off our barstools. And I swear those eyes were glaring at us.

So our food... heck, I can't remember what we ordered but it was quite good. I appreciated that you could order hot Japanese dishes as well as sushi, there were several things I would have tried had we not ordered as many rolls. And thankfully, the live shrimp plate came near the end of my meal--I don't really want to know that my food might have once glared at me. But if you are adventurous and like sushi, give this place a try.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great sushi but at high prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is a small and busy place, so get reservations if you can. It is on a busy walking street, with good people-watching if you get a window-facing seat. The food is excellent - fresh, high-quality, and creative. The staff is friendly and the service is outstanding.

I had one order of sashimi, three small rolls, seaweed salad, and a special that consisted of two shrimp. No alcohol. Total price was close to $90.

• Visited May 2013