“Fantastic Place to Dine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rei Do Gado Restaurant

Rei Do Gado Restaurant
939 4th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101-6123 (Downtown)
+1 619-702-8464
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rei Do Gado Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 4,168 Restaurants in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Brazilian, Barbecue, South American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: A trolley station is located on B street. A bus stop is right across from Rei Do Gado.
Description: "Best Ethnic" 2014 CRA Golden Medallion Award The churrasco (Brazilian barbecue) is a traditional feast that has been celebrated in Brazil for centuries. It is a unique and healthy way of roasting meat over a mesquite flame that preserves tenderness and gives it a taste unmatched by any other. Guests of Rei do Gado will encounter an unlimited buffet of typical dishes and salads.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Fantastic Place to Dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I Love Brazillian restaurants! And this place was really great. The atmosphere indoors and if you are seated outdoors it is equally good. Live music, and nice surroundings. The Salad bar was enough to fill up my better half. She was just blown away with the Seafood & Salads. I want Beef... And everything was cooked great and the meats just melted in my mouth. I had a good view of the glassed surround open-fire cooking. It made my mouth water just watching. I do like to savour the flavours and the variety of meats of Brazillian. This establishment will not disappoint.

wisconsin
“A carnivores dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have eaten at other Brazilan BBQ's and this was very similar and just as good. For those of you unfamiliar with this type of restaurant, the main course is MEAT. They bring delicious grilled meat on skewers out to your table and you say yes or no to the various meats. There are 10 different options, I liked the lamb and top sirloin the most. There is a salad bar with a variety of options, including crab legs. Skip lunch and go hungry (but you wont leave that way!). And a good wine list.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This restaurant has a great location and awesome food. I have been here a few times over many years and it is still as excellent as when I went over 10 years ago. The buffet had so many choices of cold and some hot foods as well as a lovely cheese bar. There was a dessert area, but we had no room to even think about it. The cocktails were not amazing at all. My friend ordered a chocolate martini and requested it be made very light and it was super strong. I ordered a red sangria and another friend ordered a white sangria - they were way full of juice and not very good. The drink prices were also pretty high. The service is excellent, everyone is very friendly and it seems like everyone that works there is good looking. My friends went crazy over the crab legs and had hardly any room for the actual meat - there is an option to just eat the buffet for a bit less, so maybe they should just do that the next time we come. I thought there was a good variety of foods and everything I had was tasty. They even had a pianist and he played really groovy songs from Stevie Wonder to Pink Floyd. We had a very nice time and I highly recommend it but I would suggest that you save the drinking for somewhere else.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Walla Walla, Washington
“We won't book a hotel unless it's close to Rei Do Gado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We are Brazilian steakhouse people. We absolutely love them, and have been to at least 15 so far. This one is in the top 2. Salad bar is amazing, service is pleasant, and the meat comes fast and often.
I'm not exaggerating when I say we won't book a hotel unless it's close. I'm barely exaggerating when I say we plan trips to San Diego just to eat here. Lunch is a real bargain, being half the price of dinner and including some delicious pork ribs that aren't there at dinner, which has more seafood.
The only down side is that drinks (alcoholic) are so expensive that a double vodka (not even an expensive brand) cost more than the meal. I suggest drinking elsewhere.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“meat lover paradise...but I usually just get the salad bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

So, It's good to experience RDG at least once in your lifetime. Lunch is by far the better deal. I'm not big on buffets and tend to eat pretty much in line with what the food plate recommends (preference really more than anything else). Thus when I do come to RDG at the request of friend/fam/other I just order the salad bar. The salad bar has a great selection of yummy sides which are sufficient to make me a happy gal. However I have eaten all before and do have to say the bacon wrapped beef ribs are pretty good. But if you honestly want a good cut of meat...there are better places to go.