“Good but seems overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Diego, CA, USA
“Good but seems overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

We checked this place out during San Diego Restaurant Week and although we thought we got a good deal for the 3-course meal it still ended up being a lot. The drinks are expensive and there is not much alcohol in there. The sparkling water is highly overpriced but i have seen worse in San Diego. The food was very good, we had asparagus in proscuitto for starters, filet mignon with blue cheese spread and goat cheese empanadas. I thought it was all very good, especially the steak with that blue cheese spread. We had a good time, however i think it's overpriced. I doubt that I would go there on a normal day, if i end up paying that much during restaurant week. Food is recommended.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I love the food here, but the service at lunchtime has gone downhill recently, I'm sorry to say.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Phoenix,AZ
“I have to let you know”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

I went out with two friends to Pampas Bar and Grill. What a huge dissapointment. First of all I'm Argentine, and this restaurant would not last a week in Buenos Aires. We started out with Sangria, it was good, but came in these pitchers were you would lose half of the sangria on the floor because the pitcher was so badly designed, not that the restaurant designed it, but come on, even the waiter couldn't pour without spilling half of it. We ordered mollejas and empanadas as appetizer's, they were OK but I make better at home and I'm an OK cook, the dough was not even completely cooked through, the mollejas(sweetbreads) were good, a little overcooked, they were fried and not sauted as they should be.We all ordered steaks. All were "imported" but not from Argentina, the waiter they were from Uruguay, I doubt it. They were pretty bland and tasteless, not a hint of wood smoke on them. What self respecting Argentine cooks on gas? The steaks were small and litterally 1/2 inch thick, that is the thickness and the flavor that you will find at Denny's. They charge $30.00 per steak, a complete and utter joke.My friend ordered bife ancho (ribeye) with Au gratin potato side, the other friend had the same but with mashed potato (pure de papas)medium rare. I ordered NY strip (bife de chorizo w mashed potato) the mashed potato's were cold to the touch. When I looked for the waiter he was nowhere to be seen. I'm 40 yrs old and have never written a review, but I had to let this out. Pampas is HORRIBLE. Save your money cook your own steak at home or go somewhere else. You have to trust me on this, I've eaten at many places, I have the gut to prove it, this place is a disgrace to any self respecting Argentine. I marvel at how they can remain open with such mediocrity, I'm sorry, I just insulted mediocrity.

San Diego
“Great food, great ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I have eaten at Pampas on numerous occasions and have always found the food to be excellent. Granted, I am not a gourmet chef but I do enjoy great food and this place has a lot to choose from. I have also gone with different friends and relatives, everyone always enjoys themselves. Save room for dessert...the caramel crepes are wonderful!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good food. They often have live entertainment. Great steaks, and a very chilled out place. Not the greatest...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

Good food. They often have live entertainment. Great steaks, and a very chilled out place. Not the greatest location, but well worth just going there for the food!