“Little hole in the wall with excellent food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Filippi's Pizza Grotto

Filippi's Pizza Grotto
1747 India St, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
619-232-5094
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Downtown
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Little hole in the wall with excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Wandered thru the grocery section in front to small restaurant in back which actually connects to two more eating spaces, not sure if they were differently named than Filippis. The small antipasto salad was large enough for two, filled with salami and olives and pepprocini and utterly delicious. The sandwich was also huge...easy to share both for lunch for two. Waitress was attentive and friendly. Value was superb for SanDiego. The lasagna and pizza served others looked to be as good as our sandwich and salad. Would definitely eat here again. Carpeting was worn and stained and bathroom was basic but nice murals on wall.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

san diego
“HORRIBLE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband I were visiting and hoped to have good pizza in Little Italy. You have to walk thru a deli which is confusing, congested and since we had never been there, we didn't know if we had to wait in the deli area or continue to the restaurant. An older, woman, when we asked if we can be seated said "you have to stand back there" and pointed. My husband, confused, said "where" and in a condescending and rude way said 'right there- behind the sign that says "wait here to be seated"'. What a JERK. Strike two in Little Italy. We left as I REFUSE to give my business to places that don't know how to treat people. She should be fired.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Where the locals go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our hotel van driver said this is "the place locals go" and told us it was a short walk from the hotel. The next morning (Sunday) we took a quiet walk into Little Italy and found Filippi's. It was closed, but we were amused by the signs instructing patrons to enter through a grocery store. As we were looking the place over, an older gentleman passing by said "you better get there early. Sometimes the line goes down the block and around the corner!"

A few days later we went on a Tuesday at 5:45. No line, but the restaurant was already quite busy. We were seated right away. Service was prompt and attentive. Food was excellent with huge portions. My wife had eggplant parmesan and I had pasta with sausage and meatball. Both dishes were excellent. And I must say that I haven't seen a meatball that big since the early days of the Bucca di Beppo restaurants. Prices were very reasonable. When we left, the line in the grocery store stretched back nearly to the store entrance.

Our experience was so good that we returned that Thursday about 5:30. Again no line, but already getting busy. Again service was prompt and attentive. This time we tried their Signature pizza with "everything" on it along with a carafe of sangria. As before, food was excellent and prices were reasonable. And when we left the line again stretched back through the grocery store. I have little doubt that the line on the weekends very likely goes down the block and around the corner.

This is a "must visit" San Diego restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Clinton, NY
“Plentiful Food in Little Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband is good at extracting restaurant suggestions from the locals. This was the first time we had visited Little Italy, and we decided to try Filippi's upon the recommendation of our hotel shuttle driver. You enter the restaurant through an Italian delicatessen, great for browsing while you wait (although we did not have to wait). We dined on the early side on a Wednesday evening in early January and the place was noticeably busier than all the other many options nearby. While I had read that the pizza there was the thing to have (and it DID look good!), we decided an two different entrees. My husband had spaghetti and meatballs and I had veal parmesan. I had a choice of a plate or a dinner and chose the dinner, which included garlic bread (it was a loaf), salad, and soup. My husband had my soup and the bread, and I found that the veal came with a side of spaghetti, lasagna, or something else - I chose the lasagna. It was like having two entrees. if I had been home, easily half my meal would have gone home with me. My husband's meatball weighed about 1/2 a pound. The sauce was great and I had some of their house Chianti. It was way too much food but oh well, we were on vacation. It was also very inexpensive - think my dinner was $15.99 and my husband's was even less. We would definitely go back and try their pizza the next time.

Visited January 2013
“Great Food, Quaint Atmosphere, Ridiculous Low Price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Who goes into a pizza restaurant and doesn't order pizza? Well, that would be me! I was stuck between the ravioli and the lasagne when my waitress suggested that for a dollar more i get both. I assumed that the portions would be small, but boy was I wrong! I received what seemed like a full portion of ravioli and a full portion of lasagne. More importantly, both were fantastic!
The restaurant is in the back of an Italian deli and the walls have autographed pictures of famous folks who had eaten there. Now here is the amazing part. I ordered a tasty salad (which was very fresh), the ravioli and lasagne combo, and a glass of chanti, and my bill for all of this was $14.50! At any other restaurant I would pay over $25!