“Great food, large portions, stiff drinks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of China Inn - CLOSED

China Inn
877 Hornblend St, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)
(858) 483-6680
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
La Jolla, California
“Great food, large portions, stiff drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I've been coming to this place for a long time, and I think that this is some of the best chinese food in SD. The portions are large, food is good, and the drinks are stiff. They also have Lazy Suzan tables in the back room, so when you come with some friends it is.easy to share

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

SAN DIEGO
“CUST SERVICE: A Joke! [We reserve the right to reduce(sic) service to anyone]”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2008

Yes, I admit I am picky.But I expect to be treated like a customer not just a piece of crap. I have been a loyal customer of the China Inn for over 20 years.The food in the past has been pretty good. After tonight I will never go back and I hope that other people will follow suit. It is Christmas Eve and the restaurant was very busy tonight. They were understaffed and our server had no support in getting drinks out and food out of the kitchen. Our appetizers took over 20 minutes to get out and I was ok with that. Spent time visiting with friends and family and that is why we were out for dinner. The appetizer was soggy but let that go and did not really give it that much thought. Three out of 4 entrees were cold and I mean cold. and so was the rice. Our server was running around and never came back to check on us. I went to the main desk where the owner was on the phone (to go orders so she was working) and asked that she comes over to my table and I also let her hostess know that I was very un happy with the whole dining experience. Well she never came over and she told the server to handle it herself. The server apologized and offered to take the food and heat it up. There was no offer of re-making. When the bill came, I requested that the restaurant comp the $8.00 appetizer. The server basically said that it would come out of her pocket so please don't ask. I am sorry for such a long review here but why do we have to put up with owners who try to save a nickel and to give a nickel back to a customer is a crime. I have to stick to my guns on this one. I guess the Owner does not give a rats hind end that by not offering any concessions and not even visiting my table she will lose a lot more business than the crappy $8.00 appetizer that at least would have made me feel she made an effort. Maybe if she would have staffed a little better this incident would have never happened. and by the way the typo in the title is exactly how it reads on their menu.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I dont hate this place, but dont love it. Food is ok but the price just doesnt cut it. As a kid who grew up on...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

I dont hate this place, but dont love it. Food is ok but the price just doesnt cut it. As a kid who grew up on Chinese food its hard for me to justify the price when I know how much it actually costs to make.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Found this place randomly and it was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

Found this place randomly and it was great

San Diego
“Locals favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2007

This is an old school Chinese restaurant, complete with red lanterns, little umbrellas on your drinks, and those paper placesettings where you can determine if you were born in the year of the dragon, dog, or tiger. The food is always good, also old school, with stuff like chow mein, egg rolls that aren't vegetarian, fried wontons, egg foo yung, and all the other stuff you won't find at a more modern restaurant like PF Chang's. Don't be fooled by the low prices - it's good stuff. There's free parking in the lot across the street, but read the signs and make sure you're in the area reserved for China Inn patrons.

Great place for a date. Where else can you order a drink that looks like a giant, flaming volcano, then lean back and sip it together out of straws that are three feet long? Nevermind that it's super strong. You're drinking out of a volcano with crazy straws for gosh sakes! Even if you don't order a cocktail, read the menu's list of drinks. The descriptions are funny.

You might be surprised to see how many people crowd into the tiny tiki bar at China Inn to have a drink before heading out to PB. When retro became retro-cool, so did the China Inn. This may pass, but the food will keep people coming back for more. If you thought there weren't any good Chinese restaurants at the beach, think again.