“Not worth the $” 2 of 5 stars

(858) 369-6032
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Arterra Outdoor Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #684 of 3,683 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Californian, Sushi
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
California
“Not worth the $”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I've tried the restaurant a few times before I decided to write a review. I found the service spotty, food can be on the salty side and expensive. Very poor lighting. Had to turn on my phone flashlight app to read the menu one time. I can't recommend it.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I agree the the previous folks who suggest that "the management" have let this bar go.
The service is mundane, the food "generic" although some attempt has been made at the sushi.

I only eat here as I stay at the hotel and then as a last resort. Mediocre.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, USA
“Cushions and tables by a small pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Nothing special, and $14 for a scotch and rocks! This is the outdoor patio of the Marriott Hotel. The restaurant has good food, but overpriced. For example, I had an excellent turkey burger and garlic fries for lunch - for $16! Add ice tea and its a $25 lunch....

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Encinitas, CA
“Used to be a lot better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

Amidst the generally mediocre or only good (but not great) restaurants in San Diego, Arterra used to stand out. When we had very sophisticated guests from Tokyo or New York in town, this was one restaurant we could take them to and not be embarrassed. And they generally enjoyed it. However, we went there for my wife's birthday recently and it isn't what it used to be. The food was creative (breaded anchovies, gnuddi) but was either too intense (the anchovies) or flavorless (the gnuddi). The desert of pear sorbet had too much ginger and not enough pear flavor. We have eaten the most wonderful pear sorbet up at a great restaurant on Vancouver Island and this could not compare. The best dish was the most traditional--the steak one of us had. But the worst part was the service--always slow it has become very sloppy. The place was perhaps half full and the waiter told us the kitchen wasn't very busy but there were some long waits between courses and I had to signal to waiters to come over twice during the meal. The wait staff is nice and friendly and helpful but I think they are just under-staffed for the size of the restaurant. No idea what the problem in the kitchen is. I had a bit of left-over food debris on the table that was very noticeable when the waiters cleared our dishes, and we waited for them to come back to clean off the table (standard practice for any decent restaurant) but no one ever did. It was still there when we left. The atmosphere is ok without being special. Perhaps the restaurant has gotten lazy because of their built-in clientele that stays at the hotel (in which it is located) or perhaps it's just bad management. Whatever, when you are paying $100 per person for a meal, one expects a lot more. No longer one of the better places in San Diego (which isn't saying a lot anyway, but...)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
san marcos
“Amazing that this place is in a Marriott Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

I was a guest at the Del Mar Marriott that was visiting the area on some personal and professional business. Usually i dont venture down this far south with my home office based job but my sister was getting engaged and I was able to meet up with some clients for drinks. Went down see if they were still serving lunch, looked like the crew had packed it up but it was nice to see that hostess "Amber" show me the way to the bar and the patio was so nice I just decided to take it easy and have lunch pool side. I noticed that they had a sushi bar but it looked like that was not open for lunch as well. Too bad I love sushi. I went with their hoisen glazed calamari and slider trio and i was not dissapointed. Price point was was rght inline with local and national hotels that i had been to and i will tell you can taste the freshness of the seafood and the sheer beefiness for lack of a better word of the sliders. Rockin! Later in the day met up with some clients at another local eatery "Market?" for cocktails. Place looked busy definatly a place to be seen. We sat at the bar luckly saw some of the food that came out of the back it looked like a lot of the same thing. Just differnt meats on the plate but same sides, well they looked that way. Finished my captain & coke wrapped things up with Bob my client and wanted to get out of that place. I guess i was wearing the wrong skate shoes or somthing. Went back to the hotel craving sushi, saw it at "market" but it didnt look that good but i remembered that the hotel had a sushi bar maybe their fish is better. Good thing i was right. Scrumptious roll blew my mind after that i just told the sushi chef Andrew make food till i cant see straight. I think that i had 8 courses of sushi, was stuffed, quality was unbelieveable. I dont know where chef Andrew got his fish or his sauces but I havent had sushi better any place. The crowd was just as busy and that patio that i had lunch earlier was popping off with a DJ and plenty of Cougars, need I say more. Back to the room saw an old issue of the reader with "arterra's" review in it four stars? What i missed the chance to eat there by going to some over priced steak house, bar/grill for a capt and coke? It looked like it was geared for the budget diner with a prix fix. The food critic had said that she liked to current chef more than the prior two and the "Market" Chef Carl worked as chef de cuisine at Arterra years back. Interesting. She had nothing but raves. Amazing. Came in on the 7th to dine. Asked the waiter if he could have the chef put a tasting together for me and my friends. So glad we did. Popcorn sweetbreads? so creamy/awesome. Housemade sausages with braised red cabbage, never thought that people even still had that knowledge, perfectly executed. Braised veal with oxtail tortellini, you can taste the love. Pastry Chef Chris came over and asked if i was daring of course i was. He sent out Bacon Ice cream Potato Pancakes and foie toast... wow

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere