“Good smoked BBQ ... for outside of Texas...” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,144 of 4,167 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Good smoked BBQ ... for outside of Texas...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

After being in Texas for a few weeks, and sampling the best, I was not expecting anything comparable in San Diego. Don't get me wrong, this place was good.. but just Average by Texas Standards.

The side dishes certainly WERE good, just fine by any standard. I had Brisket and it looked smoked a bit but didn't quite have the black/red layering found when meats are actually cooked via a Smoker Style BBQ.

The Staff was friendly, prices not bad .. Brisket+1 Side + Drink was $10.00 .. sweet tea was very good. Overall I will go here again for sure, best in the area, as good as it gets outside the borders of the Lone Star State!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“It's ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I like going to this place for the pork sandwich, which is pretty good. The service is not very good and it's been closed a couple of times I went. The ribs don't look very good, but I haven't tried them.
I give this place three starts for the inconsistency and service. The sandwich, coleslaw and fries are typically good.

Visited September 2011
Escondido, California
“Stumbled on Abbeys but it was a great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were looking for somewhere to eat one afternoon and noticed Abbeys. My husband and I love BBQ so we decided to stop. The food was amazing! We shared the 3 meat deal with 2 sides. We had pork ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. We think the ribs are the best. We had fries and onion rings as sides. The sides weren't anything to talk about, but they were still good. We have already been back 2 times in 2 weeks and we live 25 minutes away. The cornbread is another shining star here also. It's like a piece of moist cake. Haven't tried the fried cornbread but they say it's good.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
USA
“Great BBQ in Kearny Mesa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

A friend took me for lunch. What a pleasant surprise. I watched them preparing some of the different meats offered. All looked tasty. I settled on the brisket sandwich. The meat was lean and tender. The sandwich was pretty big. I chose fries for my side. (Could have been a few more fries on the plate). Warm bbq sauce was brought to the table. Cost was reasonable for the quality of the food.
I would go back.

• Visited June 2012
New Bern, NC
“Small but very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Abbey's is in a small stip Mall and is hard to see from the main road. The GPS took me there for lunch and I had to kiss it when I left. I had a hard time deciding since the menue sounded so good. I ordered a dish with Brisket, pulled pork beans and rice. Very good, more than I could eat and at a reasonable price. Won't be the last time I come here on my visits to San Diego.

• Visited March 2012