“Totally decent BBQ!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
1,351 helpful votes 1,351 helpful votes
“Totally decent BBQ!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We went to Abbey's last week for some great BBQ. I actually bought a Groupon for this place many months ago but forgot all about it. It was expiring soon so I went with the family. The location isn't great and we'd probably never be in this area besides driving here to eat here.

But glad we did. That's what is great about these Groupon's is it allows you to find places you probably would have never discovered.

The staff was friendly and the sandwiches were great. I had a pulled pork sandwich and my wife had the chicken sandwich...both came with a side dish. Most dishes were around $10.

The restaurant inside itself is nothing to write home about but I doubt people that come here care what the decor is like. Seems like people that would come here are people that want some good BBQ not good ambiance.

I can't say if this is the "best BBQ in SD" like others as I haven't eaten in enough places yet...we just moved here a few weeks ago. But definitely it was very good and I'm sure we will come back again when we have the craving for BBQ.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

kearny meas
“abbeys real bbq best bbq ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

this is the best bbq in san deigo.
stop in at abbeys real bbq and you can try it yourself.
best pulled pork and fried okra and sweet tea, yea sweet tea.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Easy on the pocketbook BBQ for great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

Abbey servers the real thing right from this stripmall location and at a price that makes anyone smile. I had the Bonanza plate with pulled pork, friend okra and beans. It comes with cornbread. She had just finished service to a huge noontime crowd, I was a little late. It was fantastic. Abbey's has great reviews all over town and the whole bill, less that $10 with my drink. That is the real deal at a great price. Highly recommended

united states
“abbey's real texas bar-b-q”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

I just love their food, especially the beef brisket and the pork shoulder. I have been going their for many years and i have to say it's the best bar-b-q in san diego!!! The workers do their job with profession and the owners Athena and Mattie Shlemon are the nicest!!! I highly recomend this restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Bring on the meat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2006

I recently stopped in on a whim because I was driving by. The sign caught my eye more than anything. "Real Bar-B-Q" is said. Never one to miss out on a taste of the real thing, I decided to stop in and see what it was all about.
Having eaten in Texas, I have some idea what Texas Barbeque is about (or is it BBQ or Bar-B-Q?) I was expecting some large Texan to greet me at the counter, but as usual, this is Southern California and there was a lady working the counter with several hispanic looking gentleman working the 'kitchen.' The kitchen is tucked away somewhat in the back of the restaurant and partially obstructed from view. In the front is a heating lamp with all the glorious meat laid out.
What better to start my exploration out than a brisket sandwich? This is the litmus test of barbeque, in my opinion. A good brisket makes or breaks a restaurant because Texas in known for having great brisket. You see, beef is king in Texas and I was in the mood for the king of meats that day.
The special of the day happened to be your choice of meat in a sandwich, one side, and a drink.
How was it? It was pretty decent, though not too close to perfect. It was much better than you'd get at a lot of other places, though. What makes it so? The smoke, I tell you, the smoke. Real barbeque has that smoky flavor, especially that of a hardwood like mesquite or hickory. The beef was sliced and served up with a good barbeque sauce. Now sauce is somewhat of a subjective issue. I like their particular sauce because it had a smoky, sweet flavor with just a hint of vinegar. It was excellent, if you're Texas barbecue eater. North Carolinians, beware.
I think the meat could have used just a little more fat to it, but otherwise it was tender and juicy enough. It was a little on the dry side, but it didn't affect the flavor too much, I just added more of the delicious sauce.
Next time, I will check out the other meats to see how they are, but the brisket is definitely worthy of the 4 circle rating when compared to what else is in San Diego. I don't think anyone short of Phil's will ever get the 5 circles.