“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ashland, Kentucky
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed at the Solamar for a week while attending a conference and enjoying Southern California. Arriving @ 5 AM instead of the evening before @ about 8 PM due to a major airline delay I was past being worn out and tired. But I could not have been more pleased by the friendly welcoming smiles that met me not only at the front doors but also @ check-in. Was escorted to a wonderful corner, and no doubt "upgraded" room. The pet/dog friendly facility made for a warm atmosphere. The evening wine tasting in the lobby was a welcome event after long days in meetings. Nice restaurant and had different meals there through out my stay and was pleased with each experience, and the staff was great. Even sharing how they prepared dishes. Very close, on the edge of the "gaslight district" but without any of the late night noise. There is no doubt that during my next trip to SD, my hotel stay will be none other than the Solamar

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear BugsyKY,

What a great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to outline your experience and very happy that you found it so enjoyable. Have a great rest of the summer and come back and see us soon.

1,302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
West Bloomfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

When we got there the car attendant said "good luck getting a room were all full and they aren't letting people into their rooms until 3. It was 11 am. He asked me if I wanted to know about how the garage worked - I stated that I didnt need that information now, I just wanted to get into line to get a room. My wife asked about the car/garage policy to which he said "He doesn't want to know but YOU do??" Rediculous. After a 5 minute wait in line they indeed have a room available. When we got to the room there was not even a single drawer for us to unpack in. No bureau of any type. The room was dated as was the bathroom. There were some shelves in the the cramped closet. The room bedding and bathroom were clean.

At midnight we called for room service to bring us beverages as we picked up pizza along our evening path. After an hour we had to repeat the phone call. The manager sent they up (on the house) well after the pizza was finished.

The next morning when we arose we decided to vacate the property as we couldn't unpack. Living out of suitcases to us is not a vacation. When we checked out early they requested 100 early termination fee - which we refused to pay.

This seems like a great hotel for someone in their 20's who is there to play golf and drink. For a couple in their 40's who have higher expectations, I would seek lodging elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear parbit,

Thanks for the feedback, we do appreciate the constructive criticism on where we can grow. Sounds like we definitely got off track right from the beginning! We'll make sure that we circle back with our valet team about the proper way to welcome a guest. Our valet team are a great group of people who get almost continuous positive feedback so it could be a case of someone trying to use humor at the wrong time.

Also appreciate the comments about the drawers. We do have shelving units in every closet. Those work for the vast majority of our guests, I'm sorry that it wasn't the case for you. Regarding the room dining experience, while I'm happy they sent up a pizza on the house I do want to apologize about the frustration.

My thanks once again for the feedback and I assure you we'll use it as a learning experience.

San diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday and everything was perfect. The beds were great, and the room was well decorated. The upstairs, outdoor bar was fun and the drinks were reasonably priced. Walked to a local restaurant for dinner. I plan to come back soon. I'll easily recommend this hotel to friends and family!

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dan Z,

Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it when someone trusts us with a milestone event like a birthday. So happy we were able to deliver! Have a great rest of the summer and come back and see us, but don't wait until your next birthday!

Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We attended a conference in San Diego (at the Hilton, next to the convention center). The convention hotel was sold out, so an associate recommended the Hotel Solamar to us. I am glad he did. In fact, after staying at the Solamar, I'm glad the convention hotel was sold out! Everything about this hotel was great. Friendly, helpful staff. Large clean room with comfortable bed. Great pool and lounge. Awesome access/right next to Gas Lamp district. Steps away from transit system, easy enjoyable walk to convention center. This is a great hotel and we will stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear 2jackson,

Thanks very much! We really appreciate you taking the time to outline your experience and very happy that you found it so enjoyable. Have a great rest of the summer and come back and see us soon.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Spent two nights at the Hotel Solamar while visiting our daughter at college.

The room itself was very comfortable. Nice firm bed, good amenities, and a reasonable amount of space. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but did have a couple of drinks at the bar. There's a daily happy hour in the lobby where they serve beer and sangria.

Overall the service was really great. We've traveled to many different places around the world and have stayed in a wide range of hotels, and I think that the Hotel Solamar's staff is amongst the best we've encountered. It's not that they do anything totally different than any other hotel, it's just that they consistently do that little bit extra that makes all the difference in the world.

Word of caution if you're there for the weekend (Thurs thru Sat). There's a club across the street on one side of the hotel that blasts music on their rooftop bar until 1:30am.. If you're up that late anyway - no worries... but if you want to sleep you should make sure your room is on the other side of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear GStim,

Thanks very much, we truly appreciate the feedback! I was thrilled to hear your comments about our wonderful staff. It's high praise indeed coming from someone who's had a chance to see other hotels around the world. Have a wonderful summer and please come back soon; we'll have a glass of sangia waiting!

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Room and shared spaces all high quality with lots of interesting features. Nice touches like wine hour, coffee and map of the area with restaurants etc listed. Staff could not have been more helpful. Lovely atmosphere. Great city and excellent location. Will look out for kimpton group

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Carolyn W,

It was a pleasure to read your review! So happy you enjoyed yourself and even happier that we made you consider Kimpton Hotels in other cities. Have a great summer and please come back soon.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Up's
- Quick check in and friendly/helpfull Front Desk employees (includes Doorman and bellmans)
- Good lobby area
- Prime location
- Next to Petco Park and a short walking distance to Convention Center
- Plenty of restaurants to choose from in the neighborhood
- Very clean hotel
-JSix Restaurant very good (Burger is amazing)

Down's
- Although rooms are very clean they are looking bit "tired"
- Room Service needs to double check tray before sending to room. Sent my breakfast (eggs) without salt and pepper and no sugar (of any kind) for my Latte.
- NO SECURITY LATCH on door. This is not acceptable. Liked the hotel but if I return to SD this might be something that would hold me back of staying here again.
- Bathroom - poor light (yellow) and slippery bathtub with no place to 'hold on" in case you need to

Room Tip: I was facing the street and it was quiet. Don't know about the rest.
Green Features: Same as in many other hotels. If you want to keep towel hang it, if you put on the floor will be replaced etc. If there is anything else I did not know or it was not obvious to me to see (read). Maybe information was not available in the room?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Debnelsonr,

Thanks for detailing your experience with us. I'm thrilled you had a chance to experience our warm, welcoming staff and the great location of the hotel. I also appreciate the areas you outlined where we can up our game. We'll make sure that we reiterate the process to our In Room Dining team about what should round out the tray. Regarding the latch issue we have deadbolts on all of our rooms to ensure our guests safety. I hope that helps, and if you return to San Diego I certainly hope that you'll consider us again. Thanks so much and have a wonderful summer.

Hotel Solamar - a very Kimpton Hotel

Been to Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!