“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oxford
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here for four nights in April, really based on TripAdvisor reviews, and pleased I did. Great location right in the centre of San Diego, walkable to all the restaurants and bars of the GasLamp and the waterfront. Room was great - fab decor - and the whole hotel had a great hip vibe. Loved the wine hour. Best of all was the pool deck and bar - great views, plenty of space, nice sized pool. Staff were universally pleasant and efficient. Wouldn't hesitate to go back. Only one little thing - we checked in really late (1am) due to a delayed flight from the UK and we had breakfast included in our rate but no one told us on check in we needed to collect vouchers. This caused a little confusion in the restaurant the next day - so if you have breakfast included, make sure you pick them up. The continental breakfast was excellent by the way. Other people have mentioned noise, but we had a room overlooking the busy pool bar, but with the windows closed we couldn't hear a thing. Not cheap,but worth it in our opinion.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear OxfordLadiesWhoLunch,

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! I'm also very happy that TripAdvisor feedback is what brought you to our property. We equally value the feedback about our hotel that you find on this site. Apologies for the mishap regarding the breakfast voucher; we'll make sure we reiterate the importance of handing them out to our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Hotel Solamar - a very Kimpton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I will keep this short and sweet. The staff was tremendously helpful at this property. The on-site restaurant has a nice atmosphere, and the menu looked to be very original (though I did not eat there). The pool was closed for renovation, unfortunately, but the weather stunk...so it really didn't impact us. The 4th floor rooftop bar had a nice atmosphere and a fun crowd. The location of this property is great...5 minute walk to the ballpark...5 minute walk to the convention center...$7 cab ride to the USS Midway...and any restaurant you would ever want to visit, within 3-5 blocks in all directions. This is a pet friendly hotel, which is fine...but I was wondering how that might impact my stay. There was no impact...no smell...no barking dogs. Just a nice, relaxing subdued vibe. The price, relatively speaking, was very fair as well. Beds were comfortable, and rooms were updated. I was quite pleased with the stay, overall. So convenient, and just plain "Well Done."

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear CMW720,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and I also want to thank you for the feedback about the rooftop bar. We are doing some rehab work on our pool, but that should not last any longer than a week. I'm glad to hear that you're also appreciative of the efforts we take to ensure that we're not only a pet friendly hotel but also one that ensures there's not an impact to those that travel without pets. Please come back soon.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Located a short walk from the convention center but away from all the huge convention hotels. Nice rooms, small but decently equipped gym and a great outdoor pool that was good for laps early in the morning.

Also a great location if you are going to a Padres game. I could see the stadium from my room.

Room Tip: Had a good view from the 10th floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Goin' Mobile,

I want to thank you for the feedback about our property and great location. We are indeed just a couple of blocks from Petco Park, so now that the Padres are back in town it's been a very fun place to be. Please come back soon and check out a game!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We are Kimpton converts. There is something about the staff that is just outstanding. Even though Solamar is the biggest Kimpton we have stayed at, the staff still treats you like a guest in a small boutique hotel. The woman who welcomed us was both kind, enthusiastic, and wanting to please at every turn. There was some sort of mix up with our reservation through Expedia. We booked a King bed and were given a room with two Queens. When they realized the issue and had not regular King rooms left, they bumped us up to a King Suite at no additional charge! It was practically as big as our condo at home!

The location is awesome too. I heard that San Diego is not well served without a car (which is true if you want to go to La Jolla etc.) but this location leaves many restaurants, shopping, ballpark, etc. within a short walking distance.

The only thing I would recommend at this hotel is that they extend the coffee and tea hour. It ends at 9 AM which is fine if you are there on business but not cool if you are there for a relaxing vacation involving lots of sleeping in! That said, when I groggily arrived at the front desk asking where the tea was, they said I could go get one at the restaurant and just tell them I missed the free service.

The first night I was FREEZING! There were no spare blankets in the closet but when I asked for them they gave me two and the remaining nights I found my bed a cuddly warm comfy oasis!

They just don't miss any opportunity to please at the Kimpton chain.

BTW, I am very sensitive to noise and so was worried when I read another review stating they could hear the people at the pool / bar. Our room was facing the pool / bar but off to the side and there was no noise issue at all. Trust me these San Diego people party all the time so I was worried!! but no...the windows blocked all the noise in our room.

Dear Sarahalta,

The more converts the better! While I was sorry to hear about the challenge at check in I'm thrilled our wonderful staff jumped in and made it right. Also appreciate the feedback about our AM coffee service. We've been playing around with timing to ensure that everyone is satisfied with the service. We'll continue to tweak it. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Ideal location -- never had to rent a car and walked everywhere. And ran out of time before we had sampled even a small portion of the restaurants and bars. Service staff was superbly helpful, friendly and the room was great. Price was quite acceptable too! We'd go back.

Room Tip: worth a few extra dollars to get the spa room in a corner and view of Petco park was quite enjoyable
Dear J E,

We do have a wonderful location in the Gaslamp. It's great to be centered in the heart of it all. Glad that you enjoyed yourself and please come back soon. There's plenty of more great restaurants to try!

mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Loved the hotel and everything about it. Great people working here in the bell boy,valet and front desk. Very friendly and helpful and never in a hurry to just get you on your way. I had called ahead and asked them to keep my suite ready for an early check in and it was done which was much appreciated. Both the front desk and bell boys were also always ready to share any helpful tips about the city and places to go out to without pushing their own bar and restaurant. The suite we booked was great with a lot of really nice small touches. Internet was free as I joined their loyalty program which I think is a good deal and worth it(especially since it's free). The mini bar credit was also a good touch. The suite was not very big but still spacious and good for us and served the purpose of the extra space we were looking for. The evening free wine in the lobby is a great idea and gives the hotel a great vibe as does the morning free coffee/tea (which we actually weren't able to avail of). The pool was closed the days we were there but looked cozy and inviting as did the lounge overlooking it. The gym was small but functional and the hula hoops were again a good idea though I didn't use them:)
I have to make a special mention of the design of this hotel. Everything,the lobby,restaurant,room etc was very well designed giving it an uber chic boutique feel but still keeping it warm and homely rather than 'hotelely'.
Would I go back? I think the title of my review says it all. Definitely a lot of respect for the kimpton chain because of this hotel and I will now actively consider them wherever I travel. Hope they keep their high standards up everywhere.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sabad,

I'm 100% happy to hear it! Thanks for the kind words about our hotel and team. I'm especially happy to hear that you'll look for more Kimptons in the future as a result. That says it all for us. Thanks again and please come back soon.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have just returned from my trip to San Diego and stayed at Hotel Solamar for 3 nights. While I would very much like to give my stay a 5-star rating, the wave of panic I got when I realized my room was left unlocked and open after the room was cleaned puts this stay at a 'average' rating. The bolt on the lock had preventing the door from closing. Luckily nothing was stolen, but that is beside the point. Room security should not ever be in question at a hotel like this. When I brought this up to the front desk, they did apologize but somewhat dismissive at the same time. I feel they could have done more to make me want to stay a loyal Kimpton member.

On the whole, it is a very nice hotel. The room is well design and comfortable, and the location is close walking distance to the convention center and the restaurants and nightlife in the Gaslamp Quarter and East Village

I would recommend that they add a few more front desk staff during peak check-in/out times.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear EstherC2206,

That's awful news! I'd love the chance to speak with you about it to personally apologize, as well as work to win back your trust in us. I'm not sure how the issue occurred, but know that we take every guest's safety and security seriously. Please call the hotel directly at 619.819.9500 and ask to speak with me so we can talk about it further.

Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!