“Just loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
California
“Just loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We arrived in San diego for a birthday celebration on Saturday evening just in time for free happy hour in the lounge. It was great everyone gathered in chairs and couches and just socialized with one another. We met travelers from Arizona and Boston, it was a really nice touch. The staff is wonderful and the hotel is very clean. I love the unique decorations and style of the rooms-very comfortable. It was walk-able to some great restaurants and shops. The pool bar on the 4th floor has a fun laid back vibe to it. My only recommendation for the hotel would be to put an extra blanket in the closet. We hit San Diego on a chilly night and the light down comforter did not cut it. I ended up using the awesome hotel robe as a blanket. My Husband thought I was crazy, but it worked for me. Enjoy your stay! Oh one more heads up it does cost $40 to park overnight at the hotel, so add that to your budget or use your AAA card for a discount on parking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Vacasoon,

Thanks for the wonderful comments, apologies for the cold! We'll take the feedback to heart and take a look at adding some blankets to our closets. We want to keep the robes for doing fun stuff in like coming to Wine Hour. Thanks again and we'll see you soon.

1,300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Really close to the Gaslamp, fantastic hotel, great room and the pool bar is really nice. friendly people. Parking is no problem, there are many restaurants in the area and Petco park is just a short walk. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Prices are not too bad being that this is right in the middle of it all in San Diego.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark L,

Appreciate the feedback. We're definitely fortunate for our location here in the heart of the Gaslamp. Come back and join us soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We took a short "staycation" and stayed downtown at the solamar for a fun night on the town. The decor is very modern and trendy, perfect for the downtown scene. We had a standard room, nothing special, but had a nice view of the downtown skyline. The staff were very professional and helpful, made us feel like VIPs. Can't wait to snag another killer rate and stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear CaliHotel4Fun,

You're always a VIP with us! So glad you took the time to join our hotel. Really appreciate when our neighbors let us host them. Come back and see us soon.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel was obviously designed professionally. Every single detail screams: look at me, I'm thought through. Etro shampoos and conditioners in the rooms. Not what one would expect to find in a hotel in what is a small provincial town in the middle of nowhere. Location is good - there seem to be other nice hotels and eateries around. I was on a business trip in San Diego, so picked up early and dropped off late, but from what I noticed, I enjoyed the Kimpton hotel very much. The choice of food for breakfast is HUGE!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear SafariCakes,

Thanks so much for joining us, we're thrilled you enjoyed our home. I hope you can make it back soon. Please consider joining us for the summer; the weather only gets better!

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for our honeymoon in August 2012. The hotel was really easy to find in the Gas lamp district and near a lot of amenities. The room was very well decorated with high quality fittings. The room was not fitted with tea and coffee making facilities but you could order a coffee machine to the room which was perfect. The pool was a great addition but at times could be quite busy. The roof bar was great with good service. At 5 pm they had a happy hour in the lobby where you could have free wine and nibbles. That was a nice touch! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Timothy11,

That's great to hear! Thanks so much for joining us. It's always an honor to host someone on their honeymoon. We have a philosophy that we're not in your day, we're in your life. Congratulations from all of us and come see us for your Anniversary.

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel is AMAZING. Beautiful, clean, stylish room. Super helpful, super friendly staff. Awesome area with lot's of walk-able restaurant options. Even though it's a downtown location, it's very mellow. I stayed here for two weeks and I never noticed any traffic. I get the feeling most people walk instead of drive in this part of town which is really cool and makes for a nice social ambiance when you're out and about.
And the best part? ...FREE WINE everyday from 5-6pm. "Come again?" you say?. Yeah. I said it. Free wine.
One night during wine hour, I met the Director of Sales and Marketing, Eric, and he could not have been more charming. He was full of suggestions and ideas of fun stuff to do in the area. Priceless. I will definitely be returning to this hotel next time I'm in the area.

P.S. They'll give you a goldfish if you get lonely and want some company...HOW CUTE IS THAT???

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Barb I,

Great to hear! I'm glad you had a chance to experience our property and also meet our team. They're a wonderful group of people and we're very fortunate they're with us. Come back soon, the goldfish miss you!

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Spent four nights over the past week at the Solamar while attending a conference at the Convention Center. My experience is pretty consistent with my many stays at other Kimpton properties. Rooms are super clean, well appointed, and very comfortable. Location wise, the hotel is located on the outer fringes of the Gas Lamp district. Depending what you're into, this can be a good or bad thing. There's lots of nightlife with clubs and bars geared towards college aged kids and below 24 year old tourists. If you're into something more low key and more "San Diego" venture out of the area (Hillcrest, Northpark). My only complaint about the property, itself, is that you can hear absolutely everything that goes on in the hallway (eg. doors slamming, conversations). I barely heard my neighbors with the exception of a yappy dog next door. I put the blame more on the owners for leaving their poor pup unattended than the hotel.

Service was excellent overall. The whole staff, particularly the door men and housekeeping, were exceptional. My only negative experience was the lady who checked me in. She seemed very disinterested in her job, didn't say hello, didn't tell me the check-in process was complete, nor tell me where my room/the elevators were. This, seriously, was the first negative experience I've had a Kimpton, at least it got better from there.

Also......they actually serve complimentary coffee in the AM that is drinkable!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear DHJunkie75.

Thanks very much for your comments about your visit. While I'm happy with the overall aspects of your stay I did want to apologize for your experience at check in. That doesn't sound like the normal level of service you'd receive with us, sorry for letting you down! Come back and see us soon and we'll be sure and show our best!

Hotel Solamar a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!