How have I never stayed at a Kimpton Property before? This place was awesome.
1. Spacious room including a large bathroom with cool giant whirlpool tub. Decor was sort of modern with hint of cool farmhouse ... the bathroom had a opening around the big tub so that you could sit in the tub and watch TV in the room. For privacy there was a white sliding wood door that closed off this open from the room (hence the country part - just looked this way against the blue wall). Also, no worries the bathroom also had a regular door for entering/exiting.
2. Amazing perks - Became an in-touch member (free) when I made my reservation and benefited from the free WiFi (decent speed too). Wine hour at night and complementary coffee/tea/hot cocoa in the lobby in them morning. Newspaper also came with my room and ample copies in the lobby.
3. Fantastic staff - Gentleman at the front desk who processed my check-in was working many of the nights during my stay. He always addressed me by name as I passed through the lobby and asked if I needed anything. During my stay I had two random requests (superglue for a broken piece of jewelry and tape for a package I needed to ship) -- the staff at the front desk was promptly able to help with both of these requests and didn't act like they were being "put out" by doing so... they seemed genuinely happy to help.
Hotel Solamar may have converted me into a Kimpton convert ... I will certainly look for this brand when booking any future trips.
PS - It is also pet friendly for those who want to travel with Fido. Although it didn't matter to me either way -- I ended up on a pet-free floor and am sure those who are more pet-averse can inquire about rooms on these floors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the apex of cosmopolitan downtown San Diego, the boutique Hotel Solamar lounges between the exciting Gaslamp Quarter, trendy East Village and stunning San Diego Convention Center. These vibrant neighborhoods complement the luxury hotel’s coastal cool décor and personable service. Home to the sassy rooftop LOUNGEsix and adjacent Jsix restaurant, Hotel Solamar is also moments from PETCO Ballpark, San Diego Bay, Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo and miles of beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton San Diego
- Hotel Solamar San Diego