“Swanky hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Red, White + Blue
Ranked #42 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Swanky hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This boutique hotel has a beautiful and elegant living room -like lobby where they apparently have a free wine hour from 5-6 (we just missed it!). The rooms are stylish and interesting, with great perks like a wet bar and microbrews in the mini bar. The hotel is right in the gas lamp district, just a couple of blocks from the ballpark and the trolley line. My only complaint was that the thermostat automatically reverted from what I set it to, to 72 degrees, twice. Once was in the middle of the night and I had to change it because I was sleeping with a down comforter and got too hot. This makes me grumpy.

• Stayed December 2012
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Dinglefloyd,

Thanks for joining us! Appreciate the kind words about our beautiful hotel. Apologies for the frustration with the thermostat. It's a special energy efficient model that will hibernate if it doesn't sense someone is in the room. Currently it goes into sleep mode if no one moves for two hours. We'll get it changed to four hours. This should correct the issue. Thanks again and come back soon, hopefully you'll make it to Wine Hour.

1,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I really really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Solamar! First and foremost, they had a 12-12-12 deal where you pay $12 for overnight parking, normally $40, $12 food and beverage credit, $12 In Room credit for minibar or movies, 20% off best available rate of deluxe accomodations. From the moment I got there, I was impressed. The pictures online looked like what I saw in person. Joseph checked me in and I had some issues with my credit card so he did a workaround to get an approval for the amount of the room, plus tax, less the incidentals and I had to pay $50 cash for the incidental deposit. Approved and checked in!!! He also said that he would upgrade my spa corner room to a suite for FREE! Needless to say I was so excited because I was celebrating a special night, which I had not even mentioned when making my reservations...so this was a very special treat! The room was great! I really enjoyed the jacuzzi bath. It was HUGE! although I couldn't find the buttons to turn on the jets but regardless I enjoyed soaking in that tub. I ordered room service and asked if they had chocolate covered strawberries and 2 champagne flutes. He said no chocolate covered strawberries and sounded sad that he couldn't provide that for me. However, when he arrived, I was extemely surprised to see them on the tray. He said I sounded like I was doing something special so he made them up for me. I was so happy! They are my favorite dessert!!! We also made small talk about the music I had playing in the background. All of the staff that I ran into at this hotel seemed very personable and easy to talk to...a lot like me so it was nice that this evening was turning out to be much more than I had expected. My only fault was not spending more time there...but I will be back!

Room Tip: Suite was amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Sandra,

Wow, what a wonderful review! Thanks for celebrating with us; we're always honored when someone trusts a milestone event in their lives with us. We also really appreciate the kind works about Joseph, he always goes the extra mile! Come back and see us soon.

Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is very clean and beautiful hotel, but I would say it's rather for the yong people.
The famous Gaslamp qurter is a few minutes walk from the hotel, so no need to think about the dinner tonight.
Our room was the highest floor and we could see the Petco Park from the room !
we could enjoy some wines and other beverages at the lobby.

The lobby and the living room (near the lobby) was very beautiful and artistic.
Also the room is very clean and comfortable, there are lots of drinks and foods at the mini bar.
You should try animal-print bathrobe if you visit this hotel !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear cocohoisam,

What a great review, thanks so much for joining us! I'm happy you made it to our famous Wine Hour and that you enjoyed our leopard robes. Next time combine both and come to wine hour in the robe! That happens pretty regularly actually and we love it. Thanks again and come see us soon.

Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Location was very convenient, right in the Gaslamp Quarter where all of the action in. Very good price, which includes wifi, wine hour, and coffee and tea in the morning. The front desk staff was very helpful in planning activities to do in the surrounding area, including how to take the bus to La Jolla, and restaurant recommendations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Rie13,

Thanks for the feedback. We're always happy to hear about the value of a stay with us; it lets us know we're on the right track! Also glad that you made it out to La Jolla, we've got a beautiful hotel out there as well, so I hope you can check it out during your next visit. Thank you again and from all of us at the Hotel Solamar, have a wonderful holiday.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I'm not someone who gets all excited about hotels. I don't need much, just a clean, comfortable, quiet place to snooze. Solamar has that, and throws in some bonuses that make it truly excellent. There's a wine hour, which I did not partake in. Wine scares me. It reminds me of the Real Housewives and Kathie Lee. Shudder. But I'm sure it's great. There's also free wi-if if you join their customer loyalty program. Now you're talking!
This hotel is staffed by some seriously friendly folks. Every time we came and went, we got a smile and enthusiastic, "Have a great day!" Or "Welcome back!" They were also more than willing to hold on to our bags and steer us toward some local eateries when we arrived early (no rooms were ready yet). Not just like, "yeah there's some stuff that way," either, they really went through the map with us. They also tried their best to find a charger for a laptop (I forgot to pack it, oops) but sadly could not. But, they checked all over and called when they gave up, many hours later.
The room itself was clean and nicely decorated with a modern/beachy theme. It actually had character, unlike most hotel rooms. Cool furniture, a fancy, oversized headboard, interesting/mismatched lamps, and an antiquey mirror holding center stage. Plenty of outlets to charge your devices, a good sized closet, and well-appointed bathroom round out the deal. The soap, shampoo, and conditioner smelled great and were in pump dispensers. So you're not struggling with a tiny conditioner bottle, banging it against your hand to get a drop into your hair. The only weird thing was the lack of towel bars. There was nowhere to put the hand towels, and the only place for bath towels was in the shower. Odd, but not a big deal.
Location is close enough to the convention center that you'll get to your poster session in five minutes, but far enough away that you won't be tempted to eat at the $hitty tourist traps that proliferate every convention center area in the US. Explore the Gaslamp District, it's full of independent shops and restaurants!

Room Tip: 10th floor gets loud due to the bar/pool, according to my colleagues. I had no issues on the 8th flo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Quinniepants,

What a great way to put it! We do hope we're one of a kind. Thanks very much for your visit and your kind words. I also appreciate the feedback about the handtowels; we'll check out the rooms and see if we can come up with a solution. Please come again, and join us for Wine Hour even if you don't drink wine. No Kathie Lees around, just friendly guests and staff.

Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great hotel, lovely helpful staff. Large rooms, modern decor, most enjoyable. Will definitely stay there again. Location is perfect for Gaslamp Quarter. Breakfasts in the hotel restaurant are really lovely. Our whole experience was fabulous, couldn't fault the hotel at all. Recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Anita F,

What a perfect compliment, thanks so much! We hope you come back soon and from all of us at the Hotel Solamar, have a wonderful holiday season.

Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

All the little details at the Solamar are fantastic. The rooms were lovely, well put together and I loved all the designy touches -- including the leopard print robs! The lobby was very comfortable to sit in and the coffee/tea/hot chocolate bar with fun toppings was a great surprise. They even stored our fish that we caught from our trip. Awesome location downtown and the staff was really friendly and helpful -- they even accommodated our super-early check-in. I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor was a bit noisy due to ventilation fan... but if you don't mind white...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Les Bourgeoisis,

Thanks, you don't hear the word Groovy enough! We were thrilled to host both you and your fish. Have a wonderful holiday and we hope to see you soon.

Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!