“5 days of peace in San Diego” 5 of 5 stars

Red, White + Blue
Ranked #42 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“5 days of peace in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I should start with the only negative whch was that this hotel was not cheap but I have stayed in various Kimpton hotels across the US and all have been excellent and I am happy to report this hotel is no different. Normal high standard Kimpton hotel and we chose a Spa room which had a fantastic spa bath as well as a massive room. Only gripe was the nightclub noise on the Saturday night but we were in the Gaslamp district so goes with the territotry.

What set this hotel apart from other top hotels was the staff. the attention to detail they showed was incredible and they were genuinely friendly. Free coffee until lunchtime and wine in the evening were a good bonus. Hotel is situated right in the middle of San Diego and walking distance to the harbour area, bars & restaurants aplenty.

Valet parking was steep at $40 per day so we used public car park straight across the road for $25 per night. Overall an excellent hotel and would definnitely use again.

Room Tip: Spa rooms are worth the little extra money charged
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear mGe0rdie_Mark,

Thanks for both your loyalty and your kind words. We're thrilled to hear the feedback about our team and agree they're a very special part of the Solamar. Apologies if you heard noise emanating from some of the local establishments; the Gaslamp is a pretty happening place! Please come back and see us soon.

Hotel Solamar -a Kimpton Hotel

1,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I spent five nights at the Hotel Solamar while attending a conference. From the moment I checked in until I left, I felt a comfortable, warm vibe from the staff and the general atmosphere. The room was comfortable and quiet. Great pillows. It's a dog friendly hotel, which I found fun--all sorts of cute dogs in the lobby, yet never a problem. I heard a dog bark from a room as I walked to my room one night and worried, but I couldn't hear it at all in my room. I never made it to the daily wine hour in the evening, but I did appreciate the morning organic coffee and tea. Great place all around.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear SleepSeekingMom,

What wonderful news, thanks very much for the kind feedback! I also appreciate your noting we're as pet friendly as we are people friendly! Come back soon and next time make it to Wine Hour!

San Angelo, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

As per previous reviews, we also encountered closure of the outdoor bar for a private event. We only stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and primarily chose this hotel because of this amenity. The rates are not cheap, and it is quite disappointing to be turned away to go sit in a downstairs restaurant bar instead. The rooms are nice, clean--beds are a bit firm for my taste. Enjoyed the complimentary wine in the evening. Breakfast was good when we used the facility. the location can't be beat...close to bars and restaurants, and the bay walk. Valet parking is $40 a day...pretty high. would recommend hotel once they get the private event closures under control..

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan S.

Thanks for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear your kind words about our facility and the location certainly can't be beat! I did want to acknowledge your frustration about the event being held at our deck. As you can imagine, it's quite a popular space. Due to its large size we're normally able to section off part of it for private events so that all of our guests can enjoy the area. I appreciate the feedback about what you encountered and want to apologize. We'll make sure that we're cognizant about the best use of the area. Thanks again and I hope you can make it back soon.

London England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great location and an almost great hotel. We had a spa room, roomy and comfortable. Staff very friendly and helpful. Nice pool area and bar at the pool. Almost there as a really great hotel. What brought it down in my view were 3 things:
1. Foam pillows - uncomfortable and get too hot.
2. The wine tasting is not really tastng but a chance to drink some wine for free. Same wine all week (I think it is the same for a month) - and for a hotel that positions itself as refined the wine was not of a good enough quality. Either improve this, or re-name the session, which is otherwise a great idea, very popular and fun..
3. It can be noisy at night from the surrounding area and you need to have a high room if you are sensitive to noise (we did).

Room Tip: High room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear pdm535,

Thanks very much, it was great having you with us. As much as I appreciate the kind words about our great team I also appreciate the candid feedback on where we can improve. Regarding our signature Wine Hour it was intended as an amenity in which our guests can relax and connect with not only each other but our management team. It's not intended to be a formal wine tasting; I apologize if it was described like that. Regarding the wines themselves, they're hand selected by our brand's sommeliers and focus on a unique vineyard with a special characteristic. They can be off the beaten path, organic or have some other special quality. They do change every month, so come back and see us again and we'll set you up with another glass. I'm sure we'll have one you like!

Best,

San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Ahhh...the Hotel Solamar. This was the second time I have stayed there and wouldn't change a thing.

My husband and I were able to sneak away for an overnight celebration for my birthday. We are locals from North County so we are relatively familiar with the downtown area. I looked all over at different hotels but settled again on the Hotel Solamar. We wanted something in the heart of downtown with a lot of choices for activities close. I think this hotel has more of a hip vibe without trying too hard. It is trendy but not douchey. I would highly recommend checking prices on the hotel's web site, they were the lowest I found and had extra amenities. I also signed up for their rewards program. Although we are not frequent hotel guests I figured it couldn't hurt.

We checked in just in time for the wine in the lobby, which is always great. The package that I purchased included two beers at the lounge on the 4th floor. And for signing up for their rewards program I received $10 good towards a mini bar purchase.

We stayed in the spa corner room with a king bed. It seemed slightly larger than the regular guest room I had stayed in before. The tub was huge! Instead of a tub that was also a spa it was more like a spa that was also a tub. One of the best things about the room was the bottle of wine with a card attached wishing me a wonderful birthday. While the gesture on the hotel's part is so simple, it made me feel as tho I stood out among the many guests.

We enjoyed our beers up at the lounge. All of the staff was great. The valets were funny and engaging and the front desk staff was always attentive and very informative. If you are looking for a more of a trendy hotel, in the heart of the Gasslamp walking distance from tons of shops and restaurants this is the location for you.

Oh! Totally forgot to mention check out time is not until noon! We were able to leisurely get around have breakfast and enjoy a bit of a holiday street fair before we headed back home. Another wonderful stay at Hotel Solamar.

Room Tip: We stayed in the spa corner room. It was great!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Jocelyn C,

If you had a great time we wouldn't want to change a thing either! I was thrilled to read your comments; it's great to have one of our neighbors call us a second home. While it's good to explore the Gaslamp I'm happy you made time to visit our pool lounge. It's an extremely popular place! Come back and see us soon and from all of us at Hotel Solamar and Jsix, Happy Birthday!

Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had a wonderful time at this hotel. Located in Gaslamp area, The staff were terrific, I loved the wine tasting time and took the time to fully enjoy it. The leopard skin bathrobes were hysterical and great to lounge in. Next time I'm in SD I'll be staying here

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear George M,

Thanks, we love this place too! We appreciate your kind words about our team, wine hour and especially our legendary leopard robes. Come back soon, we'll have a glass of wine waiting!

milton keynes, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Lovely hotel right in the heart of Gaslamp - great location for exploring San Diego

Staff are really friendly. Valet staff are always good for a chat on the way in/out of the hotel

Evening wine reception is a great Kimpton touch as usual

Rooms are very high quality and spotlessly clean. Our Master Suite was amazing

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Iancarpy,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I especially appreciate your kind words about our Valet team and agree they've a very special part of our success. Thanks again for your loyalty and we hope to see you back soon. Wine Hour will be waiting!

Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!