“We ate in the lounge!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Prado at Balboa Park is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 4,046 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Avenue
Description: Set in the rich landscape and finely manicured gardens, the Prado Restaurant is located at the historic House of Hospitality in the center of San Diego’s famous Balboa Park.
Sacramento, CA
“We ate in the lounge!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Apparently the place gets REALLY crowded at 12:30. As we were really, really hungry they asked if we would be willing to sit in the lounge. For the chance to not have to wait 40 minutes, we agreed. The lounge was very comfortable, our service was excellent, and of particular enjoyment was the flatbread with homemade chipotle hummus. The only downside to the lounge is that they do not offer a full menu; that said, I would recommend this restaurant to any visitor to Balboa Park that is looking for a good meal in beautiful surroundings.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Midvale, Utah, United States
“Great Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We went to Prado during restaurant week, they had a 3 course meal going on for 30$. I ordered the Caesar salad as my starter and my husband had the calamari fries and we shared. Both were very good starters. For our entrees I got the shrimp Alfredo, and my hubs got the ribs. My husband liked his meal. But I wasn't too fond of my entee, the shrimp was a bit stringy and rubbery. I let my waiter know and I decided to get the butternut squash risotto instead. And oh wow, it was so good! With the 3 course meal we received dessert. We shared an order if creme brûlée and a chocolate-hazelnut mousse bar. Both good. But the creme brûlée is to die for. All in all great food and great service!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
nj
“Not as Spanish as you might expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

While the exterior of the building is Spanish Colonial, the inside is a bit of mess. There are antler chandeliers stuffed with glass frisbies (art glass), wax candles fitted with flicker flame electric bulbs and dusty fake flowers. The food is good and the service is good but a bit pretentious. The inner dining room has a beautiful painted ceiling and there is also outdoor dining space but with no view. Nearby parking is free but valet service is available.

Visited September 2013
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The setting was probably our favorite part, enjoying patio dining on a sunny afternoon. While the food was good, we had been expecting amazing, so there was a small letdown. The staff was polite and accommodating but our server was very slow. This is our least favorite Cohn restaurant to date.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Aztec, New Mexico
“Pricy but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great food and great service. Felt a little out of place with my son. But they didn't seem to mind. Good food and great variety.

Visited October 2012