“Local Surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sushi Ota

Sushi Ota
4529 Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109-4920 (Pacific Beach)
858-270-5670
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Local Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

In a small nondescript strip mall, surprised to find such quality. Lovely decor, excellent food, decent service. The person I sat next to mentioned she travels miles just to come there, because it's the best around. And they obviously have a local following.

San Diego, California
“Authentic..not for westerners looking for cheap sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you LOVE sushi...REAL sushi this is it!! You won't find California rolls here (nor should you) this is an authentic experience. Sashimi is so tender. The hospitality second to none. You don't have to ask for fresh wasabi here, it's on your plate. If you are unsure about what a dish is, the staff is helpful. It's well priced but, well worth it!!!

San Diego, California
“HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

A couple of weeks back, I made a reservation for my birthday for 7 people. I found out a few days later that more people would be joining us, so I called and asked to increase the reservation to 12. Without skipping a beat, Keiko (I believe her name was) said that it is not possible to increase a reservation past 7.

So I asked her:
Why not? How many people can you accommodate in your restaurant? Are there bookings full for 5PM? She wouldn't give me a clear answer.

So, my boyfriend called and made a separate reservation for 5 people (in order to make up the difference). My full party got there on my birthday, and we got there early. Keiko came outside and started asking people if they had reservations and if they said "No", she would say, "Oh, we can seat you, but you have to be gone by 6" WTF?! REALLY?

She came up to us, and we said, "We have two reservations, can we sit next to each other?" while pointing out the long bench and tables that could perfectly sit 12 people. And she said it was not possible to move the tables, they had to stay in their places, and we couldn't sit next to each other, we had to sit in different rooms. The HELL?! I just want us to be able to SIT next to each other! She walked past us after that like we were yesterday's trash, completely unwilling to meet us half way.

It is completely possible to sit 12 people next to each other. If it were another group of 7, and then another group of 5 came along, they would eventually sit them next to each other, no problem. If it's a problem with a waitress being over burdened, get two waitresses to serve us!!! It's not rocket science!

Sushi Ota is just a really good sushi bar that has gotten rave reviews on their food, so they (or Keiko) don't give a CRAP about making 12 people mad, since they figure that they are going to make that money anyway, and just toss them aside. They are lazy and don't want to meet people half way to give decent customer service. If making a reservation for 7+ people is a problem, they need to say so on their automated directory, or someone needs to say "Okay, but we can't increase that later, is that okay?" But I don't think that is really the case.

Good thing I made a back up reservation at Harney Sushi in Old Town, they are excellent.

I will NOT be coming back here based on the "Customer Service" that I received this evening.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
atlanta
“unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Even though we made a reservation, they had a hard time finding it. When they finally found it, we were seated at the Sushi Bar. Derek made the best sushi in a lifetime and we had a nice chat with him as well. Worth the trip

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Best Sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Coming from Tucson, it's hard to know good sushi. I'd like to think I've had the best San Diego has to offer, because I can't imagine it getting better! Located right across the street from the Holiday Inn Express, it was just a quick walk away. Thankfully, we'd called ahead, because the place is tiny and probably always packed. Hostess was sweet and accommodating, our server was very polite, and the food was fantastic. Will definitely eat there again!