“A pleasant surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“A pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Let me start by saying my experiences with asian food in the USA has been hit and miss despite positive reviews like this place has. But I must say it was a very pleasant surprise! Decor was a little dated, but so what? A restaurant is all about the food and this place delivers. My wife had a vermicelli bowl, I had a rice plate, and my son had pho. The vermicelli and rice were just okay. I ordered mine with egg, but when I got my plate there was no egg to be found. Flavor was nothing exceptional, but tasty. The pho was actually quite good. My son ate pretty much all of his meal.

The kicker though was the eggroll appy. At first we didn't know what to do with the plate of lettuce and mint and cilantro that came to the plate initially, but fortunately the table next to ours ordered the same thing and we saw them wrapping the eggrolls in the leafy greens and so we did the same. My word what a flavor experience! A perfect blend of hot, crunchy, fresh, and crispy with bursts of mint and cilantro. It was so good we ordered another!

Service was also good as our water glasses were never empty. But really you want to go to this place for the eggrolls...nothing but the eggrolls...

• Visited May 2013

88% Recommend
San Diego, California
“Now that's what an eggroll should taste like...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Crispy, crunchy, fresh, and hot....that's how they should taste and that's what they serve here. None of that soggy, pale, stuffed-with-unidentifiable-ingredients that other Asian restaurants serve. They topped off my Vermicelli noodle bowl so beautifully, and complimented the grilled pork skewers. Disappointed in the nuoc mam sauce though, as I found it a bit bland. The other fantastic part of the meal was my husband's Vietnamese iced coffee. Many places bring it to the table with the coffee already stirred up in a glass of ice, already diluted when it arrives at the table. This place serves it the authentic way...a stainless steel pot of coffee grounds dripping into the ceramic coffee cup below, piping hot and fragrant. A chilled glass of ice waits by it's side...when you are ready, you pour the coffee over the ice yourself, and the lovely condensed milk mixes in with the coffee, all swirly and beautiful over the frozen ice...and you get to drink it before it becomes diluted. So, so yummy!! I can't tolerate the caffeine level, but I did try a spoonful and the flavor was divine. We enjoyed the chicken wing appetizers with chili and green onion...they were hot, crunchy, not greasy, though the wings themselves were a little "fatty". Atmosphere is bright, clean, and service was quick. Diner demographics were approximately 50% Asian, 50% non-Asian. Plenty of parking, easy to find, right off Convoy. Definitely deserves a return visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Good Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I looked up reviews for Pho all the way up and down Convoy. This place got the best reviews, so I decided to give it a try for take-out. I went in at 4:30, so there wasn't anyone there. The staff was very friendly, and I got my usual, Pho with rare steak and tripe. One of the servers gave me water while I was waiting, which was nice. It took about 10 minutes, maybe a little less. Its the standard price, $6.75 or so, which is awesome.

When I got home, I was impressed by the amount of meat and tripe they put in. There was a lot of all the goodies, which made me very happy :) The soup was still really hot and easy to set up. The only disappointment about this place was the broth. I was surprised because all the reviews said it was great. I mean it wasn't bad, it was just...lame. The only thing I can think of is that with the weird time I went in, they might have been making a new batch in between lunch and dinner service, and it didn't have enough time to settle or something.

I will definitely give this place another chance. If the broth was just a little better, it would be my go-to Pho place.

• Visited September 2012
Sao Paulo
“Real Vietnamese food in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The food is fantastic!!!

It was recommended by a friend that is a chines descendant young woman whose parents were from Vietnam.

There are some experiences that remains forever in your life. This is one of them in my own.

It is located around 10 minutes far from the downtown area but worths every single minutes and gas spent to get there.

I cannot remember the names but wrapping vegetables with your own hands and eating is amazing.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“Best Vietnamese food in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We have tried many Vietnamese restaurants in San Diego, and Phuong Trang is by far have the most and authentic menu. Besides the typical pho, vermencelli noodles, they have other varieties of dishes - such as 7 course beef, crepe, and rice-wrapper.

It is not a fancy place nor with the best service. However, it offers many dishes that I can't find without going all the way north to Little Saigon in Orange County.

• Visited April 2012