“Now that's what an eggroll should taste like...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #973 of 4,041 restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Vietnamese
San Diego, California
“Now that's what an eggroll should taste like...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Crispy, crunchy, fresh, and hot....that's how they should taste and that's what they serve here. None of that soggy, pale, stuffed-with-unidentifiable-ingredients that other Asian restaurants serve. They topped off my Vermicelli noodle bowl so beautifully, and complimented the grilled pork skewers. Disappointed in the nuoc mam sauce though, as I found it a bit bland. The other fantastic part of the meal was my husband's Vietnamese iced coffee. Many places bring it to the table with the coffee already stirred up in a glass of ice, already diluted when it arrives at the table. This place serves it the authentic way...a stainless steel pot of coffee grounds dripping into the ceramic coffee cup below, piping hot and fragrant. A chilled glass of ice waits by it's side...when you are ready, you pour the coffee over the ice yourself, and the lovely condensed milk mixes in with the coffee, all swirly and beautiful over the frozen ice...and you get to drink it before it becomes diluted. So, so yummy!! I can't tolerate the caffeine level, but I did try a spoonful and the flavor was divine. We enjoyed the chicken wing appetizers with chili and green onion...they were hot, crunchy, not greasy, though the wings themselves were a little "fatty". Atmosphere is bright, clean, and service was quick. Diner demographics were approximately 50% Asian, 50% non-Asian. Plenty of parking, easy to find, right off Convoy. Definitely deserves a return visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
San Diego, California
“Good Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I looked up reviews for Pho all the way up and down Convoy. This place got the best reviews, so I decided to give it a try for take-out. I went in at 4:30, so there wasn't anyone there. The staff was very friendly, and I got my usual, Pho with rare steak and tripe. One of the servers gave me water while I was waiting, which was nice. It took about 10 minutes, maybe a little less. Its the standard price, $6.75 or so, which is awesome.

When I got home, I was impressed by the amount of meat and tripe they put in. There was a lot of all the goodies, which made me very happy :) The soup was still really hot and easy to set up. The only disappointment about this place was the broth. I was surprised because all the reviews said it was great. I mean it wasn't bad, it was just...lame. The only thing I can think of is that with the weird time I went in, they might have been making a new batch in between lunch and dinner service, and it didn't have enough time to settle or something.

I will definitely give this place another chance. If the broth was just a little better, it would be my go-to Pho place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sao Paulo
“Real Vietnamese food in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The food is fantastic!!!

It was recommended by a friend that is a chines descendant young woman whose parents were from Vietnam.

There are some experiences that remains forever in your life. This is one of them in my own.

It is located around 10 minutes far from the downtown area but worths every single minutes and gas spent to get there.

I cannot remember the names but wrapping vegetables with your own hands and eating is amazing.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego
“Best Vietnamese food in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We have tried many Vietnamese restaurants in San Diego, and Phuong Trang is by far have the most and authentic menu. Besides the typical pho, vermencelli noodles, they have other varieties of dishes - such as 7 course beef, crepe, and rice-wrapper.

It is not a fancy place nor with the best service. However, it offers many dishes that I can't find without going all the way north to Little Saigon in Orange County.

• Visited April 2012
Vista, California
“A Pho Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This restaurant is not fancy but has a huge variety of Vietnamese delicacies. I had the Steak Pho which is a healthy soup of slow-cooked beef bone broth, noodles, and thinly cut raw steak to which raw soybean spouts, fresh lime, and fresh mint are added to taste. At $6.75 this is a San Diego lunch value.

• Visited October 2011