“They're closing and they don't care about customer service!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Indigo Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 4,168 Restaurants in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cedar
Transit: Trolley stop at Little Italy
California
“They're closing and they don't care about customer service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I went for a mid-week dinner at Indigo Grill, a restaurant we have called one of our favorites for a few years. It was busy, but not crowded. The problems started with the food...my soup was just warm, they forgot my husband's. We split a salad (grilled romaine) and it tasted as though it had been sitting around a while before it found it's way to our table. The main course was good, but again did not taste freshly made. The bread with the main actually tasted stale! The table beside us told their waiter that they did not like the bread. His response. "OK, I'll just take your plates away then." The pototoe chip stuck in the mashed potatoes was also stale! Always the optimist, I still wanted to try desert...As with the initial part of our meal, service was slow....We waited quite a while for our waitress to return with menus, then about 10 more minutes before she returned to take our order. Then we waited, and waited, and waited. We began discussing just getting our check and leaving when the waitress came back, apologized and said "there were a lot of deserts coming out of the kitchen at the same time. Yours will be another 2 minutes at most!"After 10-15 minutes we got up to leave and made it half way to the door when we ran into our waitress with our desert. She took one look at our faces and said, It's been too long. I'll take this back and get the manager,". After about 5 additional minutes a man walked over and identified himself as the manager. He told us (very unapologetically) that he would take the dessert off the menu but added, "All our desserts take a long time" with such a sarcastic tone that my husband started to explain that we had eaten there before and understood how long it should take. I was becoming angry and also told him about the stale bread and potato chip. He responded that the bread was baked daily and had an unusual texture! He apologized again, this time a little more sincerely, and told us to let him know when we came in again so he could come by our table and say "Hi". The last thing he mentioned was that Indigo Grill was closing in about a month for a month's duration to remodel.

Summary: The manager's attitude told me that Indigo Grill doesn't care about customers coming back. Hmmmm...sounds like they may not be planning on reopening. I didn't expect the manager to argue with me! I wasn't angry when the incident started but both my husband and myslef certainly were when we left!...and the value of him "coming over to say "Hi" is...non-existant because I will not return. Sad...I really used to like this restaurant!.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“Go with an Open Mind and an Empty Stomach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Indigo Grill is a place of unusual juxtapositions that somehow work. A vaguely Latin American flavored restaurant on the edge of Little Italy? Yet it doesn't feel out of place amid the pizza and prosciutto. The food itself is a fascinating, complex mix of unexpected flavors. For an appetizer, we had baked Brie--coated in crushed pumpkin seeds and served with mole sauce, jalapeño jam and pickled cactus leaves! It was out of this world. I combined that with a spicy margarita with Thai chiles and hot peppers around the rim instead of salt. (Don't worry, there are plenty of things for the less fireproof palates.)

The entree was a flat iron steak with chimichurri and accompanied by a honey-glazed quesadilla. The steak itself was a bit on the tough side, but the overall dish was delicious. My friend and I shared a split of a good Meritage that went perfectly with the food. Perhaps the best part (although that's a tough call) was the dessert--a meringue-covered chocolate cake surrounding mint chip ice cream. On the side was a flaming ramekin of Bacardi 151, with the idea that we could heat our spoons for a more efficient approach to the meringue and ice cream! It was impossible to resist--but the portions are very generous, so I went home a bit overstuffed.

The service was great and everything was brought at exactly the right time. I did t think it felt too intrusive, but at least four different people stopped by to ask how everything was, which wasn't really necessary. Still, we could honestly tell each of them that everything was delicious!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Great flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Everything we ate here was great. The many flavors played on our taste buds and kept us wondering what would come next. Butternut squash soup, stacked beet salad, pork ribs, corn pudding and many others - you cannot go wrong. Portions are large and my only disappointment was not having enough room for dessert.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Outstanding.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hard to beat strolling through little Italy on the way to the restaurant.

Service was friendly and efficient.

We went to enjoy the $30 Restaurant Week dinner menu and were really impressed.

I chose the tamale starter, the pork ribs and creme brulee for dessert. My husband had the roasted butternut squash soup, the planked salmon with squid ink pasta and chocolate pistachio torte.

My tamale with shrimp was delicious, and the soup was unlike any butternut soup I have ever tasted. So good!

My ribs were tasty, but the side salad and Indian pudding they came with blew me away. Really flavourful, and the pudding was comfort food at its best.

My dessert was small but just enough. I passed the shortbread cookie to my husband, but he ended up leaving it, too.

The salmon came with a sort of salsa and the pasta with sauce. He cleared his plate and said it was delicious.

His dessert was a bit surprising, as it was denser than anticipated. Not cakey at all, but still good. Maybe torte means something else than I am accustomed to back home.

The raspberry sorbet that xame with it was such a hit, he ordered more!

We both had an alcoholic drink. He had a brown ale, and I had the red sangria. It was boozy!

Coffee and tea and oh, even a hot towel mid-service to help me with sticky rib sauced fingers.

Overall, a wonderful meal and night out. Will definitely go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Adelaide, Australia
“What a find, a gem in San Diego.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We found this restaurant more by accident, the area that we were intending to have dinner in was closed to the public, apparently the city rents out blocks of the historic part to corporations for events, a very strange practice indeed.

While walking into "Little Italy" we looked up on "gayCities" where to eat, this restaurant was top of the list and we were standing across the road, so in we went.

The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly, we were seated in a nice table and offered iced water and menus and wine list straight up. perfect, no waiting.

The martini's we had to start with were perfect, and the night only got better, we had two courses and both were amazing, one main, a chicken dish (sorry forgot what it was called) was to die for i could not believe the flavours and presentation.

All the food delivered was of equal quality and flavour, huge portions as well, what a great find lets hope when we return it is still there, our very best to the Chef and all the staff.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere