“Sugar heaven!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Austin, Texas
“Sugar heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to the store on 5th Ave and had such a great experience we went back again. The store was cute and the cashier was super-friendly - that made a big difference in a first impression to see such beautiful desserts AND have such a friendly person greet us.

It was definitely eye candy to look at all the desserts in the case. The cashier told us we were there during "Happy Hour" and could get a dessert and coffee for $10. Heck, yeah, we splurged and got TWO happy hour orders. The presentation was gorgeous. I got a banana and whipped cream dessert (sorry, can't recall name), and my husband got some type of cheesecake. We weren't able to finish our desserts. I really wanted to try the ricotta cakes and planned to when I came back, but, understandably, they change the menu daily. We split a tres leches on our next visit. It was tasty, but a bit sweet for me. My husband got a brownie to go. Talk about chocolate OD in the best kind of way!

I looked at the cake menu and saw so many yummy descriptions. My vacation, however, came to an end (and my waistline was no doubt grateful for this!).

I'd wholeheartedly recommend going at least once on your visit.

83% Recommend
  • Turkish first
Twentynine Palms, California
“Excellent Desserts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was visiting San Diego to celebrate happy occasions with some friends. After enjoying a nice dinner, we left room for dessert. We initially drove by Extraordinary Desserts on Union Street and the line outside was absolutely ridiculous. I could not believe that so many people would be standing in a line after 8pm for dessert. We didn't want to wait there so we went to the location on 5th Ave and found a line there as well. I think we were in line for about 40 minutes before we were able to place our order. As we were waiting in line, two of us went to take a look at the display case so that when we got to the front we would know what to order. It seems like deciding what to get is one of the reasons for such a long line. They have so many eye appealing options that you really cannot decide what you want. The four of us ALL enjoyed our desserts and now understand why the lines are so darn long. I gave them four circles because of the wait time and I think the slices could be a little bigger for the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“Food looks better than it tastes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Interesting concept. Had dinner followed by desserts. The tomoato soup was savory and excellent; sandwiches good, as well. Dips such as pimiento cheese and hummus were just ok. Coffee was not up to par. Our party shared three desserts including carrot cake, brownie, and a breadfast pastry. They were all tasty, but just not outstanding by any means--no better than any other restaurant dessers.

Visited April 2013
“Shangri-La”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I am well traveled, and this is the best dessert place in the United States. My wonderful aunt purchased our wedding cake here in 2008, and our friends and family are still raving about how we had the best wedding cake ever!! If you want to make someone feel like royalty, this is the best birthday gift you could possibly get.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Luscious decadence, and not cheap...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Splurge on the treats, and it is still less than a full fancy meal. The store is itself a treat for the eyes, noveau industrial with super cool doors and low key ambiance. The displays show baked goods that please the eye and the palate. We enjoyed the strudel and danish, and the service was good. We were at an off hour and had no waiting. Fun and recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Food