“4 stars” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Santa Clara, California
“4 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I didn't realize I owned the cookbook by the owner of this establishment until stupidly late. It was a gift from my family last year and I hadn't had much of a chance to use it yet. While I was perusing the items in the shop, I even noted that they had the same cookbook... And it wasn't till I got a good look at everything did it suddenly click. I was having a dumb moment that day.

Anyway, once I realized, I got more excited to try something. The cookbook is impressive and contains lots of intricate cake flavors and textures.
I settled on the 'bete noir' and a simple lemon tart to get an idea of both a complicated and a classic dessert.

The bete noir had a layer of vanilla creme brulee in the middle of a chocolate cake, which sounded amazing. And it was. I wasn't too much in the mood for chocolate but my bf inhaled the cake.

I really liked the lemon tart but it was way too much on the sour side for me. I prefer a balance between sour and sweet. I couldn't finish the whole thing, but probably could have eaten it over several days, had I had the chance. I wasn't a fan of the crust so much.

This place reminds me of Intermezzo in Atlanta... seems like a fun place to come and sit late at night, sipping on drinks and sharing some dessert. The cakes are gorgeous and the atmosphere is very classy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
  • Turkish first
“Luscious decadence, and not cheap...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Splurge on the treats, and it is still less than a full fancy meal. The store is itself a treat for the eyes, noveau industrial with super cool doors and low key ambiance. The displays show baked goods that please the eye and the palate. We enjoyed the strudel and danish, and the service was good. We were at an off hour and had no waiting. Fun and recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“BEAUTIFUL DESSERTS!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The display case at rhe Union street location is a site to be seen. Every customer squeezes in to the front of the cases to stare mouth open drooling stare and take pictures. They are masterpieces. I have tried several of the cakes and I would say they are above average but not memorable. Yet I go back tine and again, because if the presentation and atmosphere. It is a fun place. Remember to ask for rhe sauce to top of your cake if you order it to go.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“YUM is an understatement....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Great desserts and loved the ambiance. We were visiting for two days in San Diego and were told this was a must stop. I'll pass on the great advice! Nice walk from the busier area of Hillcrest and really enjoyed eating outside.

Visited May 2013
San Diego
“OMG”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I take it back. Don't go there. You might die of Heaven and then you'd blame me. SERIOUSLY beautiful and heavenly selections from the Dessert Food Group.

Visited December 2012