“I chose this place to propose to my wife” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bertrand at Mister A'S is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 4,100 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
San Diego, California, United States
“I chose this place to propose to my wife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very fancy place with very fancy food and very fancy fanciness. The view is incredible and the service is impeccable. Formal dress code when you go and bring your wallet!

Visited January 2012

• Indonesian first
San Diego, California
“Great view, food and service not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have been to Mr A's 3times. The views are fantastic, however, I found the food to be average at best and the service was lacking, all three times. This is a very expensive restaurant and I expect much more than just a great view. I will not return.

Visited December 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Excellent view with friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stunning views of San Diego. Breathtaking. And the service was just right, helpful and friendly without being in the way of the romance! The drinks were fantastically crafted and the food was very nicely done.
Hope to go back soon!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Arrogance is overwhelming...past its time as one of the better eateries.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Here is a letter that brought NO response. I brought my family there for a very special dinner on Sunday, 12/2. It was our first official blended family function with my new wife and our respective children. I have been a Mr A's diner for over 40 years, and am a school mate of family who owned the restaurant originally. In addition to dining there often enough, I celebrate with high school friends there every December for drinks as we've done for the past 20 years. This is the first time I've been moved to comment negatively, but it couldn't have happened at a worse moment.
We wanted to sit outside even though we were shown the table that was set up as a back-up indoor plan due to possible rain. We sat outside for over 45 minutes before we moved indoors as the weather got the best of us. We had been tended to well by the wait staff outdoors. When we were escorted indoors, first, we were not seated at the table that had been saved for us and instead put in the closed off back room all to ourselves. While disappointing, we tolerated the change of tables. Following our move to the back room, except for the busboy, we were ignored. We waited for over 15-20 minutes before our entrees arrived (we had completed our soups/salads outdoors), we never saw our waiter again. Then while we ate, I wanted to discuss desserts and again no one other than the busboy came even after all 9 in our party had finished their meals. Refreshing our sodas and waters was slow as well. I even got up and walked to the other side of the restaurant to look for our waiter, and was met by a maitre d' I assumed (french accent) who said he would get the waiter after I clearly complained. While the waiter did finally show up and brought a decorative plate, the experience was already ruined as we were all commenting on the service and our lost desire to wait any longer for dessert instead of enjoying the occasion. Then we got the check with 20% already added, which I signed off on anyway, but truthfully it was not fair or earned in my view to be pre-added in this instance. Quite frankly, it was borderline arrogant to have pre-added the gratuity given what I had communicated about the service to the head waiter. We have no idea why our service dipped so dramatically, but I suspect it had something to do with the closed room where we sat even though in the round private room we could all watch, we envied the service they enjoyed in that room with 3-4 wait staff scurrying around.
Given the less than satisfactory level of service which the head waiter was made aware of by my own search for his wait staff, given the extra special function that I had clearly shared with the staff at the beginning, someone dropped the ball again by not even thinking of offering a single inexpensive dessert that might have been shared by all 9 of us which would have shown some remorse and effort to care. Instead, while the chocolate writing was impressive, the plate instead consisted of a 1" by 1" cake cube and small chocolate star no bigger than a Hersey's Kiss. Certainly, it can't be that expensive to comp a dessert at that point.
Clearly, not one of my better experiences at any restaurant, let alone Mr A's. Thankfully, social media and rating websites make communicating these things a bit easier, which I am contemplating at this point, that is how upset I am.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, CA
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a great place for a quick happy hour or a special dinner. It has the great atmosphere of a good old fashioned top notch classy restaurant. Service is excellent. Food is excellent. One of my favorites. Go out on the terrace and watch the planes go by

Visited February 2012