“Hospitality Plus” 5 of 5 stars

(619) 234-1955
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Athens Market Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #456 of 4,041 restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between First St. & Front St. just West of Horton Plaza
Transit: SD Trolley stop Santa Fe station. SD Metro Bus stop 1st and Broadway.
Calgary, Canada
“Hospitality Plus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Ambience,food and service was great. Mary thank you for your hospitality and making my last night in San Diego memorable. Great location, and we broke out in song before we left!

• Visited April 2013

82% Recommend
Ventura, CA
“Opa- Good Greek Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I will start by saying that greek food is really not may favorite having eaten my share of fair to bad tourist greek food. My partner, local to San Diego and the area convinced to to try one more and boy was I glad he did. Not too loud, white table cloth, pleasant waitress and even the owner stopped by our table. I like this. For starters I had the avegolemeno soup which is a creamy chicken soup with nice chunks of chicken and a lemon finish. My comrades had the lentil which was equally good if not better. I ordered the charbroiled bay octopus in herbs and olive oil. Tender whole octopi, charred just right in a great herbed oil that we dipped our bread in after the octopi vanished. For my main dish I had Sifatho, sirloin bits simmered in onions and herbs. Very good and different. Others in our party had the chicken kebabs and the lamb shank. I tasted the lamb in in was done just right and wonderfully seasoned. I finished with the baklava which was light traditional and excellent. Recommended.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Just Okay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

There were 10 of us for dinner celebrating several birthdays. Even though the reservation was made a couple weeks in advance, our table was not ready. We were given a few appitizers that were not that good. The meals were slow coming out of the kitchen. Several people had to wait 15 minutes. The food was just okay, the parking impossible. I would not go back to this restaurant. Our service was excellent, but having only 1 person to handle 10 people was difficult.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Beverly Hills, California
“Renovated Dining Room and bar makes you feel like sitting on the Acropolis.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

How tasteful the Owner Mary Pappas, in operation on this Address since 1986,renovated this to a greek heaven! An absolute fantastic interior makes you dream of Ancient Greece.

We spent our New Years Eve in this setting and had a wonderful experience.
The Food was tasteful and moderate in price. Wines from Greece, beside the usual Californian Wines. In short: This could save you a trip to Greece and the Jet Lag!

Try the Baby Octopus, marinated and sautéed in Vergin Olive Oil with lots of Garlic and Oregano
and the Saganaki,
Flaming Imported Kefalograviera cheese lighted with brandy.
These are just two of a variety of great appetizers.
check the menu online: www.athensmarkettaverna.com

• Visited December 2012
San Jose, California, United States
“This is the place for authenic greek dining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We discovered this restaurant a few years ago during San Diego Restaurant week. We were so delighted with our meal, we always come back when we visit San Diego. We dined here this week and were pleased to find that they offer the restaurant week specials for two weeks. My husband and I both ordered the souvlaki. It came with one skewer of fillet mignon and one of marinated chicken. It also included rice and green beans. I had the greek meatballs with pita bread for an appetizer. Their baklava is THE BEST! It is moist and loaded with walnuts. We like the way we are treated like family. Many of the diners know each other and it creates a friendly welcoming atmosphere.

• Visited September 2012