“Amazing way to experience San Diego” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added California Dreams Backpacker's Hostel to your Saves list
California Dreams Backpacker's Hostel
743 Emerald St, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
“Amazing way to experience San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I have traveled and hostel hopped quite a bit and this hostel was most definitely one of the nicest ones. It is literally on the beach and the rooms are nice and clean. I stayed in the private room two nights which was luxury and one in the dorms which was nice but one too many drunk Auzzies :) Jason at the front was super nice and they let us keep our bags as we got there early. Highly recommend it!!

• Stayed April 2014

Families
Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Myself and 4 girl friends stayed here for 3 nights, the location was fantastic right on the beach by loads of pubs and clubs but the hostel itself was horrific. They have two mixed dorms, they were both filthy and the beds were awful, no AC. The place is tiny and there is no one on the front door at night youre just given a key to unlock and lock it when you come in after a night out. On the first night some of the boys staying drunkenly left the front door open and i awoke to a random man trying to get in my bed - no joke. On the second night i awoke to the noise of a couple having sex below me. The bathrooms were so basic and broke twice in the 3 nights and only 2 showers. The lockers were broken and unsafe to leave baggage in. I'm not precious, but California Dream it was most was defiantly not.

Room Tip: no such thing
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Not the cleanest hostel in the world. But then, when you're on the beach, what place doesn't have sand on the floor?

Not a lot of public space, but the gang seems to congregate on the sidewalk out front and in a rear courtyard. Easy to meet fellow travelers. A bit of a party-crowd, but not overwhelming if you're not into it.

Very easy to meet people. Mostly a younger crowd. The odd freaked-out one passing through. But heh, that makes it interesting.

The location makes up for any negatives, in my view. I slept like a baby in the dorms. Had a blast meeting the other travelers. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I don't usually write reviews, I'm more of the guy who looks but doesn't write unfortunately. But I wanted to warn anyone who is planning on staying with these people. They called and cancelled my reservation at 10:15 pm the night before I was to arrive, saying they had someone who wanted to stay an extra night... When I told him I paid a deposit he told me it wasn't his problem, that was paid to the booking agency (hostelworld). Now I've got to find someplace else and my plane leaves in 7 hours.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to California Dreams Backpacker's Hostel? Share your experiences!