“Expensive and not very good” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #978 of 3,683 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Californian, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Expensive and not very good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by the receptionist in our hotel, but we didn't enjoy it very much. The food was greasy and generally diner-quality, and it was much to expensive for what you got. The so-called "Tempura salmon" was basically fish and chips. My husband did not get what he ordered, and the shrimp were bland. I could see people at the next table sending their meals back to the kitchen. Dessert was nice. But way overpriced, probably because of the location.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Portland, OR
“Location nice, food meh.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I'm sorry but I don't know where these positive reviews are coming from. The service is good and friendly. I ordered a crabmeat sandwich and got a pile of plain, watery, tasteless crab that had to be canned, tartar sauce on the side and lettuce. Luckily the tartar sauce was good because I couldn't have eaten the half I did, otherwise. My sister had a hamburger (huge) she said was fine and limp steak fries that weren't. Even the coke was flat. For $10 per entree, I expect more and I got it elsewhere in San Diego. I don't mind a very old-fashioned atmosphere (dim light, dark wood, lots of deep red), but this was not so much quaint as depressing. The patio would have been much more pleasant but it was cool and windy.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Nice location, good food, and conveniently located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was the first place we came across when leaving Shelter Island, and decided to give it a try. We opted for the patio, which overlooked an overcrowded harbor of boats docked nearby, but it was not distracting. If anything, the location provided "local natives" entertainment [more about that below.]
I had the Eggs Benedict with crabmeat. Personally, I much prefer the flavor of the Blue crabs back East in Virginia to the Dungeness crabs on the West coast, but there was a hefty serving of crab, covered with the Hollandaise sauce, which also seemed a little bland and not as buttery as I'm used to. Nonetheless, after a little pepper and a dash of salt, my selection was quite good and tasty.
Now for the entertainment: There are several signs posted on the patio beseeching the customers NOT to feed the gulls and pigeons which were ever-present. Nobody, however, has told the birds about this. At the table next to us was a young lady eating her breakfast [bacon & eggs, toast, etc.] Behind her, on the guard rail, was an ever-watchful seagull... the MOMENT the girl turned away from her food, the gull launched itself at her, went right over her head and onto her plate... she screamed at him "drop it!!", but it was no use! That bird stole the rest of her bacon [two or three strips] right off her plate and refused to give it back!! THAT would have been a "Kodak" moment, and if I'd been filming at the time it would have made a near-viral YouTube video. Ah well... bad timing. But it WAS entertaining!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Quaint place, enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My boyfriend and i visited Red Sails on October 30, 2012 for dinner. We walked there from our local hotel. It was quiet there, not busy so our waitress was able to be attentive to us and the few other tables occupied. She was very pleasant and quick. They have a nice size outdoor patio which we did not use since it was too chilly outside. The atmosphere reminds me of a cozy restaurant in New England actually. It's warm and welcoming. The meals come with soup or salad plus a vegetable side. I like that a lot. We were greeted right away on our way in and they thanked us on our way out. My relatives who were also in San Diego with us had breakfast there and they enjoyed it too.

Visited October 2012
Northern CA, USA
“One of the best secrets along the harbor...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been coming to the Red Sails since the 60's. It always provides great food and a casual setting. Much more low-key than some of the bigger restaurants. Sit on the patio and watch the boats come in and out of the harbor - bring a sweater as it can be cool at times.

Visited September 2012