“Wide variety, interesting crowd and late night service in Hillcrest” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harvey Milk's American Diner - CLOSED

Cuisines: Kosher
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Sacramento, California
“Wide variety, interesting crowd and late night service in Hillcrest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

The City Deli purports to be a New York style deli, and mostly succeeds. They have a large menu with all kinds of hot and cold sandwiches, a variety of entrees, and breakfast served all day. They also have microbrew beers on tap, and a variety of bottled beer and wine.

It's right in the heart of the lively Hillcrest neighborhood, and they serve food until late in the evening (after midnight on Friday and Saturday).

Visited March 2012

Prescott, Arizona
“New York Natives know how to do a deli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

City Deli has food made from scratch including their pastries. Great service and the atmosphere is GREAT. Sit at the bar or a nice comfortable booth, enjoy the music and the wonderful food.

Visited November 2011
Albuquerque
“Pure slop. Expensive slop.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We visit San Diego twice a year. It's always been a treat to have pastrami on rye at the City Deli. That was then. This is now.

Tonight's meal was the worst pastrami sandwich I've ever eaten. Each half had barely an ounce of meat, even though the menu said they were 8 ounces. Not even! And it took 30 minutes for service. Unacceptable!

A traditional sandwich should be so thick it won't fit in your mouth. I wish I could attach a photo of my $14 teeny sandwich so you could see it for yourself. What a joke!

The owner was at the cash register when I paid. He did not ask, nor did I tell him what I thought of our lousy meal. Figured I'd tell the whole world. Maybe one of you will tell him what i think. He didn't seem to care whether we enjoyed our dinner.

This place used to be great. Now it's on a downward slide. Stay away.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“A Mad House but worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

If you want an authentic deli this is the place to go. They fly in their corned beef and pastrami from NYC. They have knishes and cabbage rolls to die for. Their kuegel is delicious as well.

The owner is a really nice guys as well. It can be a line to wait here but once you get in, sit back and enjoy.

Visited February 2012
San Diego, California
“Used to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I used to really like this restaurant but it seems that the standards have dropped quite a bit since my last visit. I ordered the meatless Reuben which I have ordered several times in the past. My sandwich was so small and there was hardly anything on it. I had to ask for extra sauerkraut since there were just a few strands on it and it is supposed to be on it. I think the economy has really hurt this place unfortunately. I will probably be back since the manager/owner (?) was very welcoming and nice. The waiters were OK but nothing special. There were only a few tables taken so I know that it wasn't too busy to take care of the customers. We used a groupon and we weren't allowed to order the special of the day-don't see why that has anything to do with anything ...

• Visited February 2012