“Worst Dining Expereince I've Had In A Long Time” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 4,100 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Californian
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Market St.
Description: Blue Point is a 1940s style New York supper club featuring great martinis, the freshest seafood and prime aged beef. The dining room is lined with cherry wood and Frank Sinatra's music is common overhead.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Worst Dining Expereince I've Had In A Long Time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was at the Blue Point for a business dinner. The menu was abbreviated as the sponsor was picking up the bill, so I have no idea about price, but it was one of the worst dining experiences I've had in years.

The restaurant packed together tables so close that every time a waiter walked behind me they either hit my head or bumped my chair. It was a complete irritation the entire time I was at the table (no, I couldn't move to a different seat, they were all taken). It took about ten minutes to get my drinks every time I ordered. Our server never brought out the drinks, but a manager had to deliver them. Obviously under-staffed during prime-time dining for a reservation made well in advance.

The decor has an "old school" look with big chair and white linen table clothes. The place does look nice.

I had been eating a lot of seafood while in SD, so I ordered a steak. It is a seafood restaurant, but also a high-end restaurant, so I figured I'd get a good NY Strip. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was one of the worst steaks I've ever had. There was so much fat and gristle that I literally spit out two bites of steak, at which point I quit eating - with 3/4 of the steak left on the plate. Another man at my table had an equally bad piece of beef. The vegetable, asparagus, was fine, but anyone can steam vegetables. Appetizers were ok, but again, nothing better than I've had at places that cost $10 for an entree. I never made it to the dessert. After the twentieth or thirtieth time I'd gotten smacked in the back, I got up and left. All of this happened almost directly in front of the managers/hostess station. No one tried to correct the situation and no one ever asked why I ate so little of my meal.

I doubt my experience was common at Blue Point, but it shows the complete disregard they had for me as one of about twenty in my party and part of a $1000+ bill. They should do better, much better. I won't be going back when I return to San Diego.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

Ventura, CA
“Fresh Seafood and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Final night in San Diego after a couple of mind numbing business days and we decided to enjoy some seafood. Just down fifth street from our hotel and close to one of my favorite cigar bars in Blue Point. The place always looks busy and the reviews looked good so we gave it a shot. No reservation at 7 PM on a Tuesday proved not to be an issue as we were quickly seated. Our waitress was friendly, helpful and nice. I chose the soup of the day and scallops and my friend the chicken and caprese. For side we had the horse radish hashbrowns, and steamed bok choy. The soup was a gumbo with shrimp, andoille sausage and a little zip. Tasty, fresh and filling. My friend said the caprese salad was the best he had ever tasted. My scallops we seared perfect and laid on a bed of ratatouille. Perfectly done then blended well with the vegetables. My gluten free friend thoroughly enjoyed his chicken. The hashbrowns with horseradish and cream cheese center are not to be missed. Desserts were home made sorbet which was also good. The service was excellent. Dishes wisked away, glasses kept filled, lots of attention. A very enjoyable meal.

Chico, California
“Delicious Diver Scallops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great old-school vibe with leather-studded chairs, white linens and excellent martinis. I had Washington oysters on the half shell for a starter and they tasted of the sea. The diver scallops were delicious and accompanied by ratatouille and fresh greens.

Visited April 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Excellent and expensive place for a business dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great seafood and great service. It's expensive, but worth it for a special occasion or business dinner. Not an intimate place - I'd describe it as loud, warm and comfortable, if that makes sense. Only gripe was the size of the beers and cocktails. Too dainty for me.

Riverton, Utah
“Excellent, attentive service, great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I dined here on a couples trip to San Diego in April 2013. This restaurant is located in the Gaslamp Quarter; there is a parking garage with very reasonable rates just a half block east (at Sixth and Market), which makes it easy to visit here whether you are staying in the Gaslamp or not.

My wife made a reservation for 6:30 using openTable. We got stuck in traffic driving down from La Jolla, so we arrived twenty minutes late. The restaurant was not crowded at that time, so I don't think the reservation was really necessary (it was a Tuesday night).

The service here was very, very good, with a team which made sure that our bread was constantly replenished, our waters were filled and empty plates removed almost immediately. The dinner began with an amuse-bouche, which was delivered almost immediately after we were seated.

The menu is cleverly organized into a three course dinner, identified by sections on the carte: "Hook," "Line," and "Sinker." To begin, for my appetizer (the hook), I ordered crab cakes, which arrived hot, and large enough to share. I didn't share because my wife ordered her own appetizer!

For my main course, I strayed from the seafood theme, and ordered a ribeye steak. It was cooked medium rare and extremely tender -- it practically melted in my mouth!

As for atmosphere: this is a noisy place, with television screens showing basketball games around the restaurant, so it's not a cozy, romantic place. Nevertheless, overall, this was a great place, and I would definitely return here!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere