“Fresh Seafood and Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 4,041 restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Californian
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Market St.
Description: Blue Point is a 1940s style New York supper club featuring great martinis, the freshest seafood and prime aged beef. The dining room is lined with cherry wood and Frank Sinatra's music is common overhead.
Ventura, CA
“Fresh Seafood and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Final night in San Diego after a couple of mind numbing business days and we decided to enjoy some seafood. Just down fifth street from our hotel and close to one of my favorite cigar bars in Blue Point. The place always looks busy and the reviews looked good so we gave it a shot. No reservation at 7 PM on a Tuesday proved not to be an issue as we were quickly seated. Our waitress was friendly, helpful and nice. I chose the soup of the day and scallops and my friend the chicken and caprese. For side we had the horse radish hashbrowns, and steamed bok choy. The soup was a gumbo with shrimp, andoille sausage and a little zip. Tasty, fresh and filling. My friend said the caprese salad was the best he had ever tasted. My scallops we seared perfect and laid on a bed of ratatouille. Perfectly done then blended well with the vegetables. My gluten free friend thoroughly enjoyed his chicken. The hashbrowns with horseradish and cream cheese center are not to be missed. Desserts were home made sorbet which was also good. The service was excellent. Dishes wisked away, glasses kept filled, lots of attention. A very enjoyable meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
Chico, California
“Delicious Diver Scallops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great old-school vibe with leather-studded chairs, white linens and excellent martinis. I had Washington oysters on the half shell for a starter and they tasted of the sea. The diver scallops were delicious and accompanied by ratatouille and fresh greens.

Visited April 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Excellent and expensive place for a business dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great seafood and great service. It's expensive, but worth it for a special occasion or business dinner. Not an intimate place - I'd describe it as loud, warm and comfortable, if that makes sense. Only gripe was the size of the beers and cocktails. Too dainty for me.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Riverton, Utah
“Excellent, attentive service, great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I dined here on a couples trip to San Diego in April 2013. This restaurant is located in the Gaslamp Quarter; there is a parking garage with very reasonable rates just a half block east (at Sixth and Market), which makes it easy to visit here whether you are staying in the Gaslamp or not.

My wife made a reservation for 6:30 using openTable. We got stuck in traffic driving down from La Jolla, so we arrived twenty minutes late. The restaurant was not crowded at that time, so I don't think the reservation was really necessary (it was a Tuesday night).

The service here was very, very good, with a team which made sure that our bread was constantly replenished, our waters were filled and empty plates removed almost immediately. The dinner began with an amuse-bouche, which was delivered almost immediately after we were seated.

The menu is cleverly organized into a three course dinner, identified by sections on the carte: "Hook," "Line," and "Sinker." To begin, for my appetizer (the hook), I ordered crab cakes, which arrived hot, and large enough to share. I didn't share because my wife ordered her own appetizer!

For my main course, I strayed from the seafood theme, and ordered a ribeye steak. It was cooked medium rare and extremely tender -- it practically melted in my mouth!

As for atmosphere: this is a noisy place, with television screens showing basketball games around the restaurant, so it's not a cozy, romantic place. Nevertheless, overall, this was a great place, and I would definitely return here!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“very noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

the restaurant is in the heart of the pleasant Gaslamp Quartier. The ambiance is nice, but really noisy. We had to scream rather than having a nice chat. I had the lobster bisque, which was rich and excellent, and the seared ono. The fish was good, but the rice and sauce not particularly interesting.

Visited March 2013