“The best day on my holiday by now!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 320 Activities in San Diego
Type: Amusement
More attraction details
Owner description: San Diego Sand Castles isn't a gallery, competition, or "thing to see" for public viewing (please don't come to our address expecting to see sand castles!) In fact, we're a far more interactive reservations-required beachside "thing to do" where your group gets to be the artists! San Diego Sand Castles specializes in sand castle lessons for people of all ages all year-round! Run by JT Estrela, San Diego's resident sand sculptor, our sand castle lessons are a lot of fun, are educational, and a great way to spend time on the beach in San Diego. Each lesson is personalized and special with a focus on having fun with the process in a unique change of pace from theme parks or even just typical beach sunbathing. BOOK EARLY! RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED AND GO VERY FAST! When JT and his partners aren't happily teaching sand castle lessons, they are often working on professional masterpiece commissioned sculptures or you can often find them creating their own unique ideas!
Helsinki, Finland
“The best day on my holiday by now!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014 NEW

I had a great time building a sand castle with my sand castle instructor Tony Leib! It was so much fun: you can actually do something at the beach, you learn different kinds of techniques, and Tony taught me also how to make a sand castle without any special equipment. You definitely want to have a full lesson (2-3 hours), and Tony is a very good instructor overall: friendly, talkative, patient, and creative. You should have a sketch or a photo of your idea to make the most of it, but even without one it worked out pretty well. Before and after the lesson you will want to stay at the beach for a while, so don't be in a hurry! Yes, Del Mar is a bit far away from San Diego, but using Uber it's ok without a car – especially with a promotion code! The beach is beautiful especially during sunset and there are also really nice restaurants next to the beach called Jake's and Poseidon.

4 attraction reviews
“Yep, it's all true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

So much fun. We had a lesson with Andrew in La Jolla. Everything went very smoothly, and I would love to do it again. I recommend the longer lesson if you have the time. Don't forget your camera. It may not be ideal for very young kids, but it depends on their attention span.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Best part of our San Diego vacation!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

My wife and I spent a beautiful afternoon on La Jolla beach with Kristine. It was by far the best activity of our vacation. You get to spend time on the beach doing something invigorating and using the creative side of your brain. We are going to try what we learned when we get home to Jacksonville Beach, Florida. Thank you Kristine!!

Visited November 2014
JT-Estrela, General Manager at San Diego Sand Castles, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We are beaming with pride to hear that building sand castles with Kristine was your favorite activity in San Diego! That's about the highest praise we could ever hope for and Kristine has gotten another one hooked on the art of sand. You are going to LOVE the sand at Jax beach... clean, white, and very very sticky (I grew up there; graduated from Douglas Anderson School of the Arts!) Please send us pictures of your creations; it really makes our day. Thank you so much for your review.
Greer, SC
3 attraction reviews
“Best Birthday Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

Upon searching for a unique birthday activity for my wife, I was intrigued when I found San Diego Sand Castles. As our date was available, I booked with excitement and nervousness that my wife would enjoy the activity.

We met up with Andrew at our scheduled time, and he was excited that we'd mention building a lighthouse sand castle, as he'd never done one before.

His enthusiasm, patience, humor and expertise showed every step of the way. We had a great time and would highly recommend this activity!

Thanks again, Andrew. It was the best birthday ever!

New York City, New York
“Best. Day. Ever. Build castles and memories!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014

Was happy that we found this "activity" on TripAdvisor -- we did the full 3-hr session and had the most incredible day ever. I highly recommend this. We had JT as our instructor and he was awesomely awesome. So many people walked by the beach and came over watching us and asking questions. At least once in your life, this is a must do. Tips, bring a few bottles of water to drink, and bring your imagination -- so much fun!!!!!

Visited November 2014
JT-Estrela, Manager at San Diego Sand Castles, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We're totally happy when you're happy and it was definitely a super fun time! I love the essence of the Eiffel Tower on the top of the castle. It was definitely a good day. Thank you so much for your review!