“Very plesantly surprised by their food. But service needs to improve.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buona Forchetta

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
San Diego, California
“Very plesantly surprised by their food. But service needs to improve.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Excellent food. But even though the place was packed, there's no excuse or explanation for very slow, irregular and somewhat sloppy service. Pity, because as state the food was excellent.

Visited July 2014

San Diego, California
“Good, but not sooo good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Heard a lot about this place, so we had great expectation... well-well, not so fast. It's a very busy, very popular restaurant in trendy South Park, San Diego. The crowd is nice, mixed, colorful, different ages and familiar status.
Ambiance: We ate outside on a patio, which was ok, but definitely nothing spectacular. Rather odd, different size and shape, tables stand very close, if you get a loud neighbor (which we did) - oh well, that could be the end of your own conversation, unless you want to outscream them. No candles and, of course, no flowers. String lights and heaters are present. The nice thing about the patio is that about one half of it is under a couple of big, nice acacia trees - ads nature motif, which is sweet.
The staff: the waiters are running with Italian "flair"... I think, some of them are really Italians. They are extremely busy serving all the clients and quite attentive, someone was always coming and asking us if we needed anything every 5 or so minutes. Good synergy is going on between the people that work there, waiters, busboys. A little more uniform and neat attire could be added, it would not hurt not to see the waiter's underwear and saggy pants - this is not Italian, I would tell you for sure, I just came back from that country.
The food: that is probably what people expect out of the restaurant the most... We had rather good Italian wine, Minestrone soup - excellent, pizza (as our waiter told us, we ordered their most popular one - Sergio) - was hmmm... rather good. Great tasting crust, but - soggy in the middle, smothered with prosciutto and lots of arugula. Promised mozzarella buffola on it I definitely could not taste, whatever cheese it was - it was all melted, no expected nice hunks of it on top of pizza. Tiramisu - really needs more COFFEE!! tasty, but all cream... where is espresso?.. my Italian friends, Tiramisu is made with espresso, make a note of it. Coffee was good, nicely served, hot milk on the side - complimenti!
So, even though we rather liked the place and most likely will give it another try, overall I would not rate it more than 3.
Grazia and ciao (the reason I through all these Italian words is because those waiters are kind of pouring them on you like they are trying to impress you... :)

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Authentic Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Authentic Italian, can't get any better than this. The staff are all Italian as well so they really know the menu and make great recommendations! Their outdoor patio is dog friendly which is always a plus!

• Visited April 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Fantastic pizza and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is probably the best pizza in San Diego, and in general it's a great place for authentic Italian food. I also love the ample outdoor seating. My litmus test is always the Margherita and it delivered (specifically I had the Regina Margherita). I also enjoyed the house wine and their tiramisu for dessert. Looking around at others' dishes, I would definitely return to try a few of the entrees. It looks like they have specials every day from the "cucina." An awesome addition to the developing San Diego food scene.

• Visited May 2014
Wormit, Fife
“Just in the nick of time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We arrived at 6:10 and I dropped my husband off to stand in the line while I circled for a parking place. The restaurant had not long been open but was already full on a Monday night! Standing in line behind several parties of 4 the outlook looked grim but, to my surprise, an outside table for 2 in the balmy San Diego evening light was available and we were quickly shown to our table.
Despite the hustle and bustle of a restaurant "on song" we were served quickly and had the best meatballs and the best pizzas we've eaten outside Italy, washed down with a couple of good glasses of wine. No wonder there were so many Italian voices in this gem of a restaurant. On the edge of South Park, an up and coming neighborhood in San Diego, it's well worth the hunt. A phone call in advance of your arrival can get your name put on the day's waiting list, they do not take reservations for groups less than 6. Buon appetito!

• Visited June 2014