“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Medford, New Jersey
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Huge rooms, spotless ly clean and modern, free Internet and parking, and a wonderful hot breakfast. The conference I was attending was directly across the street at the Marriott, which was full. My good fortune! The Residence Inn was half the price with more benefits. You cannot do any better than this great hotel in the Del Mar area!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Casey G, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear David F,

Thanks for checking us out! We are a brand new hotel that just opened up in July 2013. I hope that your feedback will encourage other future travelers to the area to come try us out as well. Myself and the Staff hope to accomodate you again in the near future.

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was my first trip to San Diego and here for 2 weeks for Business. Hotel location is excellent for all directions and only 20 minutes drive away from the airport which is perfect after a long flight.

I was welcomed by Sara at the desk who did a great job telling me about the hotel and facilities and checked me in quickly with no problems. Parking is under the hotel which is great for both security and keeping your car cool in the hot California sun.

Room was perfect and had all the facilities I needed for my 2 weeks here. Kitchen is more than adequate to cook a great meal if you fancy a quiet night in. Shopping service on site or local supermarket less than 5 minutes drive away.

All the staff I came into contact with were really helpful and nothing was ever a problem. Sara & Matt on front desk were excellent and Rhonda who looks after you at the bar during social hour on a Monday through Thursday where the hotel offer free food/snacks and drinks.

This a pretty new hotel and normally when I have stayed at new places there are a few teething problems that you have to deal with but no such problems encountered here. The Manager Casey was also keen to ask for any constructive feedback on my experience while staying here which I thought was a great touch. My feedback to Casey and the team would be great hotel with first class service and I will be making sure that my company uses this hotel moving forward!

Chris

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing a 1 bedroom suite when staying. Feels like home from home.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Casey G, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Chris H,

It was a great pleasure to meet you while visiting here for business. I was happy to read your review and know that your extended stay with us was productive and enjoyable. We look forward to hosting you again and perhaps several of your colleagues in the near future.

Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

It's almost a brand new hotel that opened just a couple months ago. The hotel and the rooms are very clean, and look as good as the pictures show.

The location was great, right in the center of a list of SD attractions we went to: 20 minutes north to the SD airport and the Seaworld, 10 minutes north to the La Jolla Cove, 20 minutes South to the Lego Land. And the parking is FREE. These are the main reasons we stayed here.

The breakfast was included, but it's typical RI breakfast. Nothing spectacular, but it was decent, and got us fed up for a long day.

The biggest complain we had is the AC fan. It was very loud. We set the temperature, and the fan ran on and off automatically. When it was on, it was very loud, and it was close to the bed too. It was when it was off, I noticed how quiet the room was and how loud it was when it was on. Fortunately, we were so tired after a long day's activities, and slept like dead at night.

We were on the first floor and looking out to the front of the hotel. It was close to dumpster right next to the entrance to the underground parking too. One morning, the trash truck came very early, like 6am-ish. It was very loud, and woke me up. I couldn't go back to sleep after that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Info4Rick,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our brand new hotel and the proximity to all of the great San Diego attractions. I am very sorry about the noise you expeirenced while staying with us. As a new hotel, this feedback is vital to ensure we can get these kinks worked out prior to your next visit to our city.

If you get a chance, do you mind reaching out to me via phone or e-mail so that I can look into the issue further. I would really appreciate your help with this matter.

(858) 461-4960
casey.grieme@marriott.com
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Del Mar Residence Inn and had a fantastic experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Thomas. The location of this hotel is great, it is minutes to downtown Del Mar in one direction and just down the road from Del Mar Heights Shopping Center, which has a bunch of great restaurants. Also, if you are going to explore the San Diego area you very close to Hwy 5 and 56 making it really easy to get around. The rooms are so much nicer compared to your standard hotel room; they have everything you need and plenty of space. If you are looking for a place to stay in the Del Mar area I would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kiyomi C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello Gary618,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Del Mar for your recent stay in San Diego! We appreciate your recommendation to others with this stellar review. Our central location is perfect for exploring all that San Diego has to offer :).

Until next time-

Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Very seldom write reviews as I work at a 5 star hotel and find comparison unfair.
Stayed here for 2 nights ..... Great location near to Freeway.
Great welcome at check in....and was made to feel nothing was too much trouble.
We met 5 different members of staff and each and everyone of them was pleasant and informative re the hotel and the area.Breakfast selection was good and also the evening free food and wine is a nice touch.
Would recommend this hotel and have no hesitation in staying again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kiyomi C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hi Baladobob,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! Being a fellow industry professional, we appreciate your observations and sharing your comments! Thank you. Safe travels and I'd love to meet you when you return!

Warm regards,

Orange County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Almost had it all. The property is new you can still see remnants of building material in the parking area. Clean. Breakfast is good- sausages, French toast, eggs, muffins, waffles... Small pool looks like an oversized hot tub. Kitchen is complete with utensils, dishwasher.
There were four of us, I wished they paid attention to the reservation and gave us four sets of towels. AC sounds like a moving truck.
Del Mar is beautiful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hi Shary813,

Thank you for your review! Since we are brand-new, we recognize that we do have opportunity to improve so we thank you for your feedback on the towels and our AC units. I'll share this feedback with both our front office staff and our engineering team.

We look forward to taking care of you next time you and your family are in Del Mar :).

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I love Marriott properties especially Residence Inn's when traveling with a family of 5. I was excited to see a new Del Mar property and decided to check it out on a Friday-Sunday stay. First the great things about the property: The staff were great. Sara knew what she was doing and was very polite, professional and welcoming to us and others as we checked-in. The property is new and the facilities are all inviting. The complimentary parking underneath the hotel only accessible by a room key gave us a lot of peace of mind. The location can't be beat. Right next to Torrey Pines state park with great beach and hiking. Right off of the freeway with access to all areas of San Diego.

Now for the disappointing parts: We had our little girls in the front room on the sofabed. We slept in the separate bedroom. This became a problem with the temperature. The AC unit is in the main room by the front door and in direct line of where the ac vent blows very strong so it doesn't get an accurate read. There is only one vent in the main bedroom that not much cold air come out of as it is a distance away from the main unit. To make a long story short, in order to cool down the bedroom that the wife and I were in, we had to crank down the AC which ended up freezing out our daughters in the main room. We had to keep the bedroom door open or we sweat to death. You can here a lot of noise from the rooms around you and underneath you which didn't bother us as we had kids that others were probably hearing too. Our window faced the street and the windows let in a LOT of road noise. Next - the breakfast buffet was a war zone. There were a ton of people waiting for food and the place was a mess. Hard to complain about it because it was free but we decided to skip it and go pay for breakfast somewhere else the rest of our stay. As a new property they are probably still working out the kinks in this so others experience may improve. Lastly we waited a long time in the underground parking lot with a group of people for the elevators one night at about 8pm. It obviously wasn't coming so everyone had to huff it up a couple of flights of stairs go to the lobby and catch the elevator there. Also the elevator requires a room key so don't forget it or lose it.

All in all it is a nice new property that will probably improve as it gets a little more seasoned.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hi Dlarusso,

Thank you for your loyalty to Residence Inn! They truly are the perfect hotel for families- I know when I travel with mine, we're right there with you at Residence Inn-the amenities, service and value can't be beat!

Thank you for also sharing your concerns with the AC unit in your room. We will look for ways to overcome this moving forward as we don't want any one to freeze or get too warm! For the elevators' timing, please let us know as this happens so we can bring in support and get this adjusted right away. As a new hotel, we do have opportunity to improve and thank you for your candid feedback.

-Kiyomi

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!